“Happy Family”

Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #14 of 6,596 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I loved the Double Happiness Hotel. We stayed for 8 nights. I was traveling with my husband and 2 children. I booked the Happy Family room and also booked an additional rollaway bed. I was worried that the room would be too small with the 4 of us, but it was fine, and in addition you could relax in the courtyard, which we did on a few afternoons. The rollaway bed had a good mattress, so everyone got a good nights sleep. I enjoyed waking to birdsong, which was quite unexpected in a city location.
Walking along Dongsi Sitiao was interesting. We enjoyed the jianbing (3RMB) from one of the stalls, I also had an interesting hair wash at the hairdressers!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MarelleDW
Write a ReviewReviews (1,831)

Reviewed 13 June 2012

After reading the good reviews on internet I booked the room online....
Everybody knows that chinese hotels can be really dirty but this one surprised me big time!

Situated in a "hutong" and with several lovely courtyards it was a dream come true!
So much better than a hotel in a skyscraper with hundreds of rooms....
Completely in chinse style...

The rooms are super clean, the staff very helpfull and speak really good english.
Your one computer in the room and tea facilities are a very nice extra .
We had a lovely stay and enjoyed the authentic chinese style of the hotel.

And I enjoy our goodbye gift of jasmine tea everyday and think back to our visit!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarietjeD
Reviewed 12 June 2012

This hotel was my first experience in a chinese hotel and was by far the best. The hotel is delightful and charming and the staff are all pleasant, cheerful and extremely helpful with most of them speaking excellent english. The breakfasts are brilliant. I came to visit my son, who is in China for a year, and we had a great time there. I loved my stay and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in a real chinese hotel and not one from an international chain.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We were lucky enough to spend our first Wedding Anniversary here. This place was everything we hoped it would be and better. Not only was the room fantastic but the service we received from the staff was overwhelming... we will never forget the time we spent here.

Room Tip: This place is pure paradise - you won't be dissapointed!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ThroughRootsandRoots
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Booked via hotels.com. Amenities to include air conditioning but got stuck with a room that did not have ac. Really uncomfortable to sleep as a result. Rooms are ok - 2 star. Bathrooms clean but always had an odor. Beds very comfortable. Wifi good, sometimes very slow in daytime.
Other pluses staff were excellent and attentive, interesting location, felt very safe (but I have felt safe everywhere in Beijing). Note the Great Wall at Mutianyu was just ok - I would find another tour. Tour starts with visit to jade factory, 1 hour shopping, then a nice enough lunch near the Great Wall, then to Great Wall around 12:30 pm. Could stay for only 1.5 h, with the restricted amount of time, now 32 C temperature, climb wasn't so enjoyable. Toboggan ride down was fun and longer than expected. After Great Wall, sent to a silk factory for another hour. Price doesn't include admission for Great wall Cable car and toboggan.
Not sure I would stay again.

Room Tip: Don't take room 16 or 26 which have no AC.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
doublehappiness37, General Manager at Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear Linda, we DO have AC in each room and the AC telecontroller is on your desk besides the TV remoter. We hope you could get better experience with us if we could have another chance to serve you and your family. Have a good time everyday!

Reviewed 4 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here while visiting Beijing. The hotel decoration and service are both very good, but to say this hotel is the number two on all of TripAdvisor in the city to me is very surprising. Specific notes below;

Location:

The hotel is in a central location, in the hutongs but frankly this isn't a very nice area. Yes, it's next to a police station so felt the safest of the hutong alleys we were in but it reminded me very much of the Bronx in New York.

Service:

Excellent. I have only positive things to say about the staff of the hotel.

Decor:

Lovely

Cleanliness:

The room was clean, but we had a persistent sewer smell during our stay which the hotel housekeeping told us was the drain. All hutong alleys have public toilets/showers for the hutong residents and as a result there is a smell in the streets, but it was very bad in our room after we used the shower hence the maid picking it up being a result of the drain. On the plus side the hotel was very helpful with this and constantly sent housekeeping by to help.

Restaurant:

Nice service, but better food can be found in the city. Try DaDong or Taste.

Overall:

I'd stay here again because of the service and the overall interior design of the hotel. The courtyard was beautiful, and in the room I felt truly like I was in the "old" China

Tours:

Go with the private cars the hotel provides. Yes, it's more money but worth it. We tried taking a taxi three times in Beijing and each time were dropped off nowhere near our destination. The private car was reliable, and safe. You can't just "wing" Beijing as an American. We're world travelers and had more difficulty here than any other city we've ever visited.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank twilight43
Reviewed 3 June 2012

An oasis in busy Bejing!

We LOVED this little hideaway - in the midst of "old" Bejing in a Hutong. Traditional style, incredibly welcoming, super comfortable, great location.

The staff were fluent in English and were by far the most warmest and most helpful we saw in China (we stayed at about 10 hotels/inns throughout China in 3 weeks).

The room decor and quality was fantastic (pics attached) - very comfortable bed, flat screen tv with a few more choices in terms of news in other languages, complimentary water, tea, fruit basket.. Modern deco bathroom .. and in the night, we returned to our bed turned down with chocolate on the comforter.

Breakfast was included and offered a large variety in a cozy room. There was a comfy bar/lounge/sitting area open until midnight serving snacks as well.

The location was brilliant - close to the subway, and on a traditional alley (hutong) with a lot of activity in the vicinity. We found the the area to be very safe.

Getting there was tricky (we moved from another hotel) as taxi drivers were not interested in bringing us there (we did have the hotel's name written in Chinese characters to help us navigate) - we ended up walking quite a bit with our baggage. Upon arrival we asked the front desk why this would be the case, and they mentioned that typically during busy hours in the city, the Taxi drivers did not want to take a risk and get get stuck in the narrow alleys trying to maneuver around people, bikes, businesses etc.. it would have been helpful to have "please drop off us at the start of the alley" written in Chinese. If you are coming from the airport though - make sure to get prior instructions from the folks at the hotel to make sure you get delivered right to the front door.

All in all - this is the place I would go back to on a heart beat next time I am in Bejing!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple