“Among the best places to stay in Beijing”

Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #12 of 6,450 Hotels in Beijing
Albany, Georgia
“Among the best places to stay in Beijing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

Wonderful place to stay in Beijing. The breakfast buffet is a work of art. Staff dresses in traditional Chinese clothing, and they are wonderful and helpful. I was taken to my room by the hostess and upon entering it and taking a brief tour of the room, she asked me if I was "happy"? I said "I was!" She said that she was then too. Hence the name Double Happiness. No doubt if I go back to Beijing I will always stay here. . . if there is room for me.

Room Tip: I only stayed in one room and it was wonderful. I felt like I had the whole place to myself
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank oudstryder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

When we first arrived in Beijing we stayed in an upscale hotel in the Sanlitun area, following friends' advice, but found both the area and the hotel charmless. A good half hour was also spent trying to get the check-in staff to find our bookings, as hardly anyone spoke English.
When we came back to Beijing the second time we stayed at the Double Happiness instead. It could not have been better from the get go and I so regretted not having come here sooner. The staff are mostly girls (with wonderfully witty Dede in charge), they all speak really good English, are very friendly and helpful. In short, they get what you need straight away. And they are also quite a laugh. Special mention is also due to Alan, who was great help with our numerous bags and helped instruct grumpy taxi drivers.
The hotel itself is as described by others. Really lovely pretty rooms, clean, with functioning wi-fi in the room (not as obvious as it seems in Beijing) and in a really charming central area, barely 5 minutes walking from Dongsi metro on Line 5.
I could not recommend it more. Quick word of advice. Taxis are often reluctant to take you to hutongs (small alleys) as they are afraid to get stuck. However the hotel's alley is wide enough and not too busy, so insist to be taken to the front of the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank elenaiolanda
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

I was only there overnight but would certainly visit again. Conveniently placed, small and friendly. Cosy with a luxurious feel - red satin, pretty cups and teapot, computer and WiFi. It is in a little laneway which I enjoyed exploring and where I could peek into the local lifestyles.

Room Tip: The queen was the same price as a single when I booked. Lovely bed with red curtains tucked into an...
1 Thank jacklesSydney
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

I spent 4 days at this hotel early last July and just loved every minute of it.The place is a little oasis in the very middle of a busy and long side street.The decor and the athmosphere is reminiscent of ancient China with silk curtains,covers and hand carved furniture inside and outside the rooms.It is indeed a charming place to stay but what makes it excellent is definitely the staff at the reception:polite,efficient,helpful and with a sense of humor,always trying to help you whith directions,advise and suggestions,on one occasion a young lady phisically took me to a recommended restaurant on the same road and found a place to dance salsa for me...I am looking forward to my next visit and reccommend highly this place

1 Thank salsaholic
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

Double Happiness is a wonderful hote in the middle of a lively Hutong Alley. We stayed with our young children and an older nephew and niece. We each loved it for different reasons. There is a beautifully decorated bar and lounge area that makes relaxing in an evening easy to do - and there is entertainment there as well every night. Each bedroom is also beautifully decorated and with all the amenities anyone could ask for. BUT by far the best part of the hotel is the staff - they are lovely, friendly, very outgoing and most speak english. Our children all took to DeDe and Alan right away and had so much fun with them. Going out into the Hutong Alley just outside, we were always amazed by just how much life can be seen at any point in the day, from children running around to men sitting about talking as vendors cycle their carts through. Double Happiness is the perfect place to return after a day of sightseeing around Beijing.

Room Tip: For familes, either the wedding suite or the family room make comfortable accommodations.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Stuttgart
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

I stayed 2 nights in a single room in this typical Chinese Courtyard Hotel. The hotel is located in a hutong with lots of old traditional chinese houses and small alleys. I came with the train from the airport and it is close to the subway station and easy to find. The staff is very friendly and helpful and speaks good english. The room was small, but they pay a lot of attention to details and the rooms was lovely decorated. You can easily reach all the sightseeing attractions with the subway from here and the hotel also organizes trips to the Great Wall, Chinese Opera, Kung Fu Shows, etc.
I can highly recommend this place and on my next trip to Beijing I will return!!!

Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

Stayed here with my family, and we were really impressed. The hotel itself is charming, with wonderful bedrooms and courtyards. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and the location is very central. It made a really nice change from the usual modern hotels - this place has real character!

Room Tip: We had one of the 'family' rooms, which had plenty of space for us and our 11 year old daugh...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family