Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
  • Room Service
Jin Ya Hotel(Beijing)
  • Restaurant
1,862 results
All reviewswedding suitedongsi subway stationtraditional chinese furniturefamily roomnarrow alleytraditional hotelchinese experienceforbidden citytaxi driverreal chinahutong areamodern amenitiesbeijing experiencedumplingsbreakfast roomloved this hotelsmall hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Little things can make the difference such as the chocolate I always found on my bed or the basket of fresh fruits on the desk. All the personnel was great especially Michael, Jadyn and Nancy. The hotel offers really nice entertainments such as the tea ceremony and live Chinese music. It is located close to a subway station in the heart of Dongcheng District. GREAT!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Raff S
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We loved our time at the Double Happiness Hotel. The staff were amazing and we were impressed (and relieved) by their standard of English speaking. They made us feel so welcome and went out of their way to help us - for example: Moose one morning raced after us on his bike when we left our map on the reception desk. Moose was so lovely and friendly, as was Jaclyn and Yan in the Happy Bar was always so welcoming when we would come in for a late evening drink. In the Happy Bar we enjoyed a tea ceremony and harp playing. The room was beautiful, so clean and had everything we needed. The beds were so comfortable and the breakfast was fantastic. Staying at the Double Happiness was an experience in itself. We loved being right in the community, we felt very safe at all times and it was easy to get around Beijing from there using the subway. I will always remember my stay at the Double Happiness Hotel - it was one of the best parts of our trip to China.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sally D
Reviewed 12 June 2013

This was an amazing little hotel in a peaceful yet convenient location in Beijing. The rooms are beautiful, furnished in a traditional Chinese style. The bathrooms are fantastic with lovely complimentary toiletries. However the best features of the hotel are the English-speaking helpful staff and the outdoor courtyard.

The hotel is situated down a hunting, but is only 5 minutes walk from dongsi metro station. It is also possible to walk to the forbidden city and ti'anmen square, or if not quick to get there via the metro.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anitac632
Reviewed 11 June 2013

The hotel is as it's described online but when you get there you realise it's so much more. The service is the first thing to reassure you that you've chosen the right place. Jaclyn, Vivian and Sabrina really helped make our stay enjoyable and relaxing. They helped us find our way round the city - quickly helping us get our heads round the subway system (which saved us plenty in taxis that we then decided not to take!) - and made great suggestions for local meals around the hutong.

Living in the hutong also meant we got glimpses into Beijingers' everyday lives - there's no need to take a hutong tour while you're there, you're in and out of one every day. The location was great for the subway and we felt really safe walking around the area the whole time we were there (two women travelling without any guides etc).

The hotel itself had a load of things that made it stand out - in the rooms - amazingly comfy beds, beautifully clean cotton sheets to sleep on, a great turn down service, endless hot water. The breakfast was great and there was plenty of variety to choose from - lots of chinese and european food and plenty of fresh fruit. The courtyards in the hotel were just such an added bonus. In the hot weather it's great to get back to the hotel after a busy day and just sit in the courtyard to chill out.

A great place to stay if you want to see the people of the city, getting on with their lives around you, somewhere with proper hospitality, a great standard of accommodation and friendly and helpful service. I can't recommend this place highly enough.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Loukidd13
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This was my 6th trip to Beijing, but the first time that I was able really to enjoy the life of the city. My previous hotels had been luxurious but dull. The hutong is mainly a poor part of the city and in itself an interesting area for tourists. This hotel had once been the home of a very important and wealthy official. The current owner has spent a great deal of money bringing it up to modern standards of comfort, while retaining the feel of a Chinese home. Originally it had a very large courtyard; at some time a building has been erected in the centre, dividing the courtyard into two, hence (I think) the Double Happiness. It is full of fascinating artefacts and furniture. In one courtyard there are stone carvings dating back to the 18th century. The location is very lively. When you step out at night the street is buzzing with cafes and small shops open till late. It is very safe, situated between two police stations. My room was small, but charming, with everything that one needed. The staff were superb, with everyone from housekeeping upwards being friendly and attentive. Jaclyn on reception was especially efficient and helpful. They greeted me warmly when I arrived and were like old friends when I left. There are two courtyards, a verandah and a bar to relax in. A lot of my friends, who are all Chinese lawyers living in Beijing, visited me and were extremely impressed with the hotel.The buffet breakfast was plentiful and good. There are two caged birds just outside the breakfast room who spoke much better Chinese than I did. The hotel is excellent value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo