Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
  • Room Service
Jin Ya Hotel(Beijing)
  • Restaurant
1,860 results
All reviewswedding suitedongsi subway stationtraditional chinese furniturefamily roomnarrow alleytraditional hotelchinese experienceforbidden citytaxi driverreal chinahutong areamodern amenitiesbeijing experiencedumplingsbreakfast roomloved this hotelsmall hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Just back from a fantastic holiday in China. We were in Beijing for 3 days and stayed at the Double happiness courtyard hotel in Beijing. This was the first stop so we were pretty jet lagged, and we found the Double Happiness to be just a fantastic introduction to China. The rooms are around a courtyard and we recovered from our flights sitting in the sunshine in the peace of the courtyard. The rooms are Chinese style, very comfortable, free computer for your use, and free Wifi, free water, tea and coffee making facilities. We didn't eat here in the evening but we did have breakfast, and what a spread! There was everything you could possibly want - fruit, yoghurt, cereal, pastries and a lovely selection of Chinese fare including sweet and savoury food - all lovely. The staff are very friendly and helpful, always there with a smile. If you want a standard, box shaped international glossy hotel, don't come here. If you want to feel as if you have arrived in China, come here, relax and enjoy! The hotel is in a Hutong and there is life around the hotel, but we always felt safe and comfortable walking around even in the dark.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank king_alfie
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My friend and I stayed at this fabulous Hutong courtyard hotel in June 2012. If you have any doubts about staying, don't! I have never felt so cared for in a hotel before. Nothing was out of the question with the staff - they surpassed being helpful! The tiny Chinese woman who greeted us carried all of our luggage upstairs to our rooms. My friend left her phone in the taxi and she managed to contact the driver and the phone was returned. Our quaint quiet room wasn't in the courtyard but upstairs to one side of the property. It suited friends sharing a room but when I return to Beijing with my partner, I shall stay in one of the more spacious courtyard rooms. My friend and I really enjoyed going onto the rooftop terrace sipping our G and T's in the evening, occasionally hanging out in the bar area and generally taking in the life of people living in this historic area. The staff organised our trip to Jinshanling, a recommended relatively quiet section of the wall and an evening visit to an acrobatic show. For the latter, the taxi didn't turn up so one of the staff personally escorted us to find alternative transport and onto the theatre! The Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel is one of my favourite places to stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room surrounding the courtyard. Also, don't forget to check out the terrace - it's a nice place to relax with a drink in the evening although you need to be able to negotiate stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank San_Moon
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This hotel was wonderfully charming and had a very welcoming and comfortable atmosphere. Most of our interactions were with Jaclyn, and like previous reviewers we found her English to be excellent and her personally to be a joy. She was especially fun when being talked through how to mix a drink in the bar. We also enjoyed the zither playing and tea ceremony in the bar. The rooms were well appointed and clean, but there were a couple of small issues. Our daughter's room had a little bit of a sewer smell and our room had a shower that did not drain, such that water ran out and covered most of the bathroom floor. But even with these problems, we would stay there again, because this hotel just made us feel so comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Timothy M
Reviewed 25 June 2013

When the taxi was driving toward the hotel I felt like I was about to get conned and left in some random alleyway in beijing. Upon arrival I was still very cautious and thought we had the wrong place because everyone kept raving about it. Also this was my last stop in china and I had 4-5 star hotels in shanghai and Xi'an but wanted to get something different in beijing. Everything else aside, the staff were VERY VERY helpful, they knew me by name and greeted me so. The rooms were charming and the overall layout of the place felt like you were staying with a relative which was a very good thing but also burdensome at times for a solo young traveler. Also, calling for a cab was difficult if not planned beforehand.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank rnevarez562
Reviewed 24 June 2013

It is difficult to adequately express in words how amazing this hotel in Beijing, China is... but I will try. First of of all, let me me say that I am well traveled and have stayed in luxurious hotels all over the world, but none come close to the charm and authenticity of Double Happiness. This is a hotel for an adventurer, for someone who wants to see the REAL CHINA, not some watered down experience of a high rise, pseudo-westernized hotel in the Chaoyang district.

The Double Happiness Hotel is indeed luxurious, and stunningly beautiful, but not in a stale, superficial way; it has real soul. I felt transported to the glory days of old China, but with the benefit of the best customer service and best housekeeping staff I have ever encountered, and of course cozy beds, clean rooms, and air conditioning. Like many people before me I must mention the wonderful woman at the front desk whom I now consider to be a great friend. Jaclyn has one of the the sweetest and most genuine personalities of anyone I have ever met. Her english is phenomenal and her interpersonal skills are impeccable. She was more than gracious and informative to me, she was genuinely kind and a joy to be around. Jaclyn even spent two of her days off with me, traveling with me to some lesser known places like Beijing World Park (A must see for those interested in bizarre amusement parks). Meeting Jaclyn was a highlight of my trip to China. I hope you can meet her too.

Another person I have to mention, like many before me is Moose. Moose is a spirited young man with great ambitions and excellent customer service skills. He also hung out with me after work and we went to see some cool local music. We got along like old friends and I can't tell you how comforting that is amidst the chaos of modern China. Moose even things like getting a taxi seem fun!

It was amazing to have a quiet, interesting place to stay with some of the coolest people I have ever met.I stayed for 10 nights and literally was in tears when I had to leave. That is how much the experience meant to me. Without hesitation, you should book a room at the Double happiness hotel and see what China is really all about!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo