“Very attractive rooms and atmospheric location”

Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #15 of 6,606 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We stayed two nights at this charming hotel and were very pleased with it. Rooms are small but well equipped and furnished. Comfortable canopied bed, computer with free wi fi, kettle and excellent tea. Walkable to Tiananmen Square, but also close to subway station. The hutong is crowded and dusty,and hasn't been tarted up, so is very interesting. Reception staff speak good English and are very helpful. Breakfast abundant, with Western and Chinese food, but dinner options limited. Poor pizza and salad, with no Chinese dishes available as the chef was "on holiday" - not sure who cooked breakfast, then...

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AMCES
Oliver_Tian, Manager at Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

^_^ Good news! Our chef has returned from his holiday and full menu of dinner is now available. Thanks for your comments and have a nice time everyday! ^_^

Write a ReviewReviews (1,843)

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I selected this hotel based on the great reviews in TripAdvisor, and I couldn't have been more pleased. I arrived early, worn out from 3 weeks of business travel and looking forward to a few days being a tourist in Beijing. I was delighted that they were able to accommodate my request to check in early, and thrilled when told I had been upgraded to one of the wedding suites.

The fact that it is a courtyard hotel means the corridors and stairways are cold in November, but my room was toasty warm. The firm mattress and fluffy duvet were a perfect combination after a long day of walking in Beijing. As I told Jaclyn when I checked out, I had the best sleep of my entire trip while at Double Happiness.

It's a great location; a little further down the hutong than I expected, but I enjoyed the walk in and out each day. (Definitely take a cab when arriving with luggage, and print the card the hotel sends you to hand to the driver.) The Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square make for a nice outing; and the subway is quite close when you don't feel like walking.

I had dinner at the bar one night. This was during the time the chef was on vacation, so the dining choices were limited, but the company was great and the local red wine quite tasty. The bartender (Yin?) was super friendly and gave me historical information about some of the sites I was thinking of visiting the next day. Every member of the staff I dealt with was lovely and genuinely friendly. As others have said, everyone makes you feel like your happiness matters to them personally. I would definitely stay here again if my travels bring me back to Beijing, and will recommend it to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank NYCTracey

^_^ We are so glad to know you like our hotel and hope to see you next time! Best wishes!

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I arrived at Double Happiness feeling a little anxious - it was my first time in China and I was travelling alone, but the moment that the car pulled up outside, Jaclyn, a member of the staff, came out to meet me and made me feel so welcome and at ease. The check-in process was a breeze and when I saw my room I was very impressed. The double bed was great - very comfortable, even for a tall person. The rooms have all the amenities, and there are a number of small touches that make it special, for example: the shower is fitted with a rainfall shower head and there is a complementary mesh shower sponge. There are also small packets of detergent provided so that you can hand wash clothes if you need to. There is some fancy hand cream too. The lighting in my room was well thought out - it may seem like a small thing, but I travel often for business and have stayed in many hotels where the lighting is not done well. There is fast, free wi-fi (yay!!). There was a small tea set provided with high quality Chinese teas, and two free bottles of water per day. There was also a free map of the city detailing all the major sights. The mini bar is well stocked with reasonably priced drinks and snacks. A computer is provided, should you need it. And all this before even mentioning the service!

The staff were all so friendly and helpful. Jaclyn gave me a lot of invaluable advice for my sightseeing trips - the subway station is a short walk from the hotel and the staff can provide a map and advice on which station to use.It is also easy to catch a taxi at the end of the hutong. I had a drink in the bar one night and watched a traditional music performance that was brilliant. The bar lady was extremely friendly and made me feel very at home. The breakfast was delicious - the steamed dumplings were my favourite and there was something for every taste.

The hotel is located in a quiet hutong. I walked alone in the area at all hours and always felt safe. There are a few restaurants at one end of the hutong - I tried two of them and both were wonderful. One of the things I enjoyed the most during my trip was the atmosphere in the various hutongs.

The hotel also has a number of tours that you can go on - I went on the tour to the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall and thought it was very good and reasonably priced.

The evening before I checked out, the staff made sure to get my flight details so as to organise a taxi to the airport for me. I found this very thoughtful. I could stow my bags for free between checking out and leaving for the airport, which was convenient.

I plan on returning to Beijing and will definitely stay at Double Happiness again! Thank you to all the staff for making my trip very special and for making me feel so welcome :)

Room Tip: I had a courtyard room and was very happy with it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank travel-fantastic

^_^ I am even unable to find proper words to show my gratitude for your long and kind review for us. There are still many place we can do better. Just remember you have already got a group of friends in Beijing when you visit here next time. ^_^

Reviewed 3 December 2013

The Double Happiness Hotel really does rate right up there in terms of places we have stayed at on our travels and we have stayed in quite a lot. It manages to mix terrific authentic-feeling atmosphere with all the comforts required, excellent and thoughtful service, the best breakfasts we had in China, and a quite impressive attention to detail. We loved the experience of staying in a hutong and the sheer range of local dining experiences available. The hotel was just gorgeous with its various courtyards, relaxation areas, photos and memorabilia, and Chinese-style knick-knacks. Our room (albeit small) looked fabulous with its Chinese-style bed and furniture. The bathroom was clean and everything was there - the detergent and clothes line were welcome items two weeks into our holiday. We found little sweets on our pillows at the end of every day. The breakfasts had a tremendous range of Western and Chinese food options. Hot food was kept properly hot. The fruit was fresh and selection great. The coffee was good. The staff were genuinely friendly and efficient. They went over and above when we checked out and needed to get to the train station in the rain - they had a friend taxi-driver take us there for free. Never had that before at a hotel!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

^_^ One of our hotel norm is to show the right and kind image of Chinese people to our foreign guests. To help everyone who need help is the traditional good manner in Chinese long history. Every friendly Beijing people would do that favor for you.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Clean, friendly, and inviting sliver of authenticity amidst a somewhat bleak slice of life in the hutong. The included breakfast buffet was outstanding!.....tremendous variety of traditional foods...all delicious. The staff was also outstanding. They seemed to all possess the ability to make you feel like you were their most important guest...eager to offer suggestions in the morning, and eager to hear about your day in the evening. All details were important, and cleaned rooms were left with an adorable and delicious version of a chocolate as an evening treat.
The hotel itself is tucked within an alley that is about a 15 minute fast walk to the subway line.
This walk is a bit dusty, but otherwise safe, and keep an eye out for the delicious and inexpensive corner bakery that always has a line.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank marcy06
Oliver_Tian, Manager at Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

^_^ We got 30 rooms and about 40 guests everyday. Everyone is one of the most important guests of us. Thanks for your comments and your time. ^_^

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Its almost impossible to put into words how wonderful this hotel is. The Double Happiness combines a traditional Chinese setting with first class service and attention.

As other reviews said, the hotel is in a hutong and set a little ways back from some of the major roads, so using a taxi to get there is a good idea - if for no other reason than it will give you more time to check out your new home.

The check in process is just like what you get when you check into a 5 star hotel - the staff greats you warmly, offers you a refreshment, and immediately strike up a relationship. No matter how long you stay, when you leave you will befriend one or two of the Double Happiness employees.

Despite the traditional decor, the hotel has all of the modern amenities: warm beds, (fast) wifi, cable TV, and delicious food.

The staff can direct you to all the attractions Beijing has to offer (large or small), and will give you tips to get the most out of your stay and steer you clear of scams or pitfalls that could detract from your vacation.

I can't wait to go back and see everyone at the hotel once again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank josephcouture

^_^ Thanks a lot for your comments. We still have many places to make the improvement and our service is also far from perfection. We would be delightedly if we have another chance to serve you next time. Best wishes! ^_^

Reviewed 29 November 2013

I use Trip Advisor as a travel bible, I had high expectations for this place.
The staff was so lovely. I can't say enough kind things.
The rooms were dark, the heating was a tad off. As my friends and I were jetlagged, we had no problem going straight to bed.
As it was cold, having an open plan was not ideal. I can see this hotel being more enjoyable in the summer months.
The worst part of the hotel was the location. We couldn't get clear directions. We were encouraged not to take taxi's as they would not be able to find their way back? For this reason, we stayed local the 1st night (recommendation from hotel) and the 2nd night we were so tired we decided to eat at the hotel. Unfortunately, the chef was on vacation so there was nothing to eat but awful pizza or pasta bolognese. This was a shame as there was a full menu when we decided not to venture out.
If I made my way back to Beijing, I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelingOYEster

^_^ Good news!“Our chef has returned from his holiday and delicious dinner of full menu is available now.” ^_^