“"What I was looking for on my trip"”

Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #12 of 6,522 Hotels in Beijing
Perth, Australia
“"What I was looking for on my trip"”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed here in mid November, originally for 3 nights, but was so impressed I extended my stay for a further 2, only to be upgraded...:)
The staff and service were terrific, both on reception and in the bar..even helping me to improve my poor language skills..and even enlightened me on Chinese culture and history, particularly Beijing. I think, a bi-weekly performance by Chinese harp player, followed by a tea ceremony. She was fantastic...
Great old world charm with modern comforts. Free wi fi and computer. And to top it off a free gift on departing. All class!!...Thanks for a memorable stay girls!!
Highly recommend!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank BradinChina
Oliver_Tian, Manager at Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
^_^ The traditional Chinese culture and living style is vanishing rapidly and we will do our best to maintain some of those charming features. Thanks for your commnets and time. ^_^

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Louisville, Ky
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I haven't posted a review on Trip Advisor in many years but I felt compelled to write one about the Double Happiness. We just stayed there 2 weeks ago and were very impressed with the customer service, especially from Jaclyn at the front desk. The staff made reservations for us for dinners, arranged for a taxi pickup to the airport (and made sure to look up the correct terminal we were leaving from; a must-do before heading to the airport), gave us a fair rate for extending our stay for a late checkout before our 1am flight out, and had extra waters available for us everytime we asked. Plus the breakfast was outstanding! A great place overall.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
^_^ We are glad to know that you had a happy stay with us and will engage to improve our service to a higher standard in the furtue. Thanks for your commnets and wish you have a wonderful time. ^_^
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at this wonderfully friendly hotel for four nights in late November. It was a great choice! Beijing had pretty cold weather most days during our stay, but the room was warm and homely and heating (central and air-conditon) easily adjusted to appropiate temperature. The room was comfortable, slippers and bath-robe provided which was good since there were pretty cold stone floors in the room. Beautiful, modern bathroom in lovely chinese-style tyle with shower. Perfect cleanliness. We found the breakfast interesting, but didn´t try most of the different dishes. There were basic stuff like scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit, toast, cheese, ham and tea/coffee. We had a beer in the small bar, cosy and quiet. But - as many others have witnessed - creme de la creme were Jaclyn and the rest of the personell! Always kind, making you feel at home! Couldn´t have been better! There are some tours offered by the hotel and we went to see acrobatics - worth the price, the trip was included - very impressive but few people were there to watch and the theatre was very cold. We also went on a one-day trip to the Great Wall att Mutianyu booked by the hotel. Great value! Lots of space on the Wall and fantastic scenery! We walked to the Lama temple and to the Forbidden city, but took the metro to the big park at Temple of Heavens Saturday morning - a great experience of chinese culture to watch all the activities going on in the park!! Beijing is easy to get around in and the hotel is the very spot to come back to.
P.S. The first taxi drived requested 600 yuan to drive us from the airport to the hotel. We refused and went to the taxi stand to the left and offered another driver 120 yuan to drive us which he happily accepted. The taxi to the airport used the meter and it ended up to 85 yuan - we payed 100 and the driver was very content!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Oliver_Tian, Manager at Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
^_^ Thanks for your kind words and our coming guests can browse our website for the detailed travel plan, including the taxi rate from every important arrival spots. Have a nice day! ^_^
King's Lynn
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We stayed two nights at this charming hotel and were very pleased with it. Rooms are small but well equipped and furnished. Comfortable canopied bed, computer with free wi fi, kettle and excellent tea. Walkable to Tiananmen Square, but also close to subway station. The hutong is crowded and dusty,and hasn't been tarted up, so is very interesting. Reception staff speak good English and are very helpful. Breakfast abundant, with Western and Chinese food, but dinner options limited. Poor pizza and salad, with no Chinese dishes available as the chef was "on holiday" - not sure who cooked breakfast, then...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AMCES
Oliver_Tian, Manager at Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
^_^ Good news! Our chef has returned from his holiday and full menu of dinner is now available. Thanks for your comments and have a nice time everyday! ^_^
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I selected this hotel based on the great reviews in TripAdvisor, and I couldn't have been more pleased. I arrived early, worn out from 3 weeks of business travel and looking forward to a few days being a tourist in Beijing. I was delighted that they were able to accommodate my request to check in early, and thrilled when told I had been upgraded to one of the wedding suites.

The fact that it is a courtyard hotel means the corridors and stairways are cold in November, but my room was toasty warm. The firm mattress and fluffy duvet were a perfect combination after a long day of walking in Beijing. As I told Jaclyn when I checked out, I had the best sleep of my entire trip while at Double Happiness.

It's a great location; a little further down the hutong than I expected, but I enjoyed the walk in and out each day. (Definitely take a cab when arriving with luggage, and print the card the hotel sends you to hand to the driver.) The Forbidden City and Tiananmen Square make for a nice outing; and the subway is quite close when you don't feel like walking.

I had dinner at the bar one night. This was during the time the chef was on vacation, so the dining choices were limited, but the company was great and the local red wine quite tasty. The bartender (Yin?) was super friendly and gave me historical information about some of the sites I was thinking of visiting the next day. Every member of the staff I dealt with was lovely and genuinely friendly. As others have said, everyone makes you feel like your happiness matters to them personally. I would definitely stay here again if my travels bring me back to Beijing, and will recommend it to friends and colleagues.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank NYCTracey
^_^ We are so glad to know you like our hotel and hope to see you next time! Best wishes!
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I arrived at Double Happiness feeling a little anxious - it was my first time in China and I was travelling alone, but the moment that the car pulled up outside, Jaclyn, a member of the staff, came out to meet me and made me feel so welcome and at ease. The check-in process was a breeze and when I saw my room I was very impressed. The double bed was great - very comfortable, even for a tall person. The rooms have all the amenities, and there are a number of small touches that make it special, for example: the shower is fitted with a rainfall shower head and there is a complementary mesh shower sponge. There are also small packets of detergent provided so that you can hand wash clothes if you need to. There is some fancy hand cream too. The lighting in my room was well thought out - it may seem like a small thing, but I travel often for business and have stayed in many hotels where the lighting is not done well. There is fast, free wi-fi (yay!!). There was a small tea set provided with high quality Chinese teas, and two free bottles of water per day. There was also a free map of the city detailing all the major sights. The mini bar is well stocked with reasonably priced drinks and snacks. A computer is provided, should you need it. And all this before even mentioning the service!

The staff were all so friendly and helpful. Jaclyn gave me a lot of invaluable advice for my sightseeing trips - the subway station is a short walk from the hotel and the staff can provide a map and advice on which station to use.It is also easy to catch a taxi at the end of the hutong. I had a drink in the bar one night and watched a traditional music performance that was brilliant. The bar lady was extremely friendly and made me feel very at home. The breakfast was delicious - the steamed dumplings were my favourite and there was something for every taste.

The hotel is located in a quiet hutong. I walked alone in the area at all hours and always felt safe. There are a few restaurants at one end of the hutong - I tried two of them and both were wonderful. One of the things I enjoyed the most during my trip was the atmosphere in the various hutongs.

The hotel also has a number of tours that you can go on - I went on the tour to the Mutianyu section of the Great Wall and thought it was very good and reasonably priced.

The evening before I checked out, the staff made sure to get my flight details so as to organise a taxi to the airport for me. I found this very thoughtful. I could stow my bags for free between checking out and leaving for the airport, which was convenient.

I plan on returning to Beijing and will definitely stay at Double Happiness again! Thank you to all the staff for making my trip very special and for making me feel so welcome :)

Room Tip: I had a courtyard room and was very happy with it.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank travel-fantastic
^_^ I am even unable to find proper words to show my gratitude for your long and kind review for us. There are still many place we can do better. Just remember you have already got a group of friends in Beijing when you visit here next time. ^_^
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The Double Happiness Hotel really does rate right up there in terms of places we have stayed at on our travels and we have stayed in quite a lot. It manages to mix terrific authentic-feeling atmosphere with all the comforts required, excellent and thoughtful service, the best breakfasts we had in China, and a quite impressive attention to detail. We loved the experience of staying in a hutong and the sheer range of local dining experiences available. The hotel was just gorgeous with its various courtyards, relaxation areas, photos and memorabilia, and Chinese-style knick-knacks. Our room (albeit small) looked fabulous with its Chinese-style bed and furniture. The bathroom was clean and everything was there - the detergent and clothes line were welcome items two weeks into our holiday. We found little sweets on our pillows at the end of every day. The breakfasts had a tremendous range of Western and Chinese food options. Hot food was kept properly hot. The fruit was fresh and selection great. The coffee was good. The staff were genuinely friendly and efficient. They went over and above when we checked out and needed to get to the train station in the rain - they had a friend taxi-driver take us there for free. Never had that before at a hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
^_^ One of our hotel norm is to show the right and kind image of Chinese people to our foreign guests. To help everyone who need help is the traditional good manner in Chinese long history. Every friendly Beijing people would do that favor for you.