“Fantastic hotel and room that the whole family loved!”

Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #11 of 6,565 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We spent 2 nights at Beijing Double Happiness Courtyard hotel beginning of January, using the 72-hour visa possibility at the way back from Thailand.
The family room was fantastic. It had an antique double bed with curtains, another slightly smaller double and a single. The furniture was so charming, and there were colorful silk fabrics on the beds. The bathroom was clean and nice. Both us adults and the kids loved the quirkyness of the hotel, you go in, then out, up some stairs, then to your room, there are courtyards and semi-open hallways. The breakfast room was rather small but there was always room, and they fitted in a huge variety of food for breakfast that we loved. In the evenings we were too exhausted to eat elsewhere, so we had drinks in the small bar and some food, listening to live music by a girl playing a traditional instrument. It was simply great.
To see the daily life in the hutong when you go out for the day also adds to the experience.
They are strict in China with the Visa routines. Our youngest got the wrong stamp in her passport and we almost had to go back to the airport on the morning we arrived to the hotel. However, with frantic search of phone numbers by myself and finally some help from Vivian in the reception with discussion in Chinese, a nice car eventually pulled up in the hutong with the same airport official that had stamped the passport wrongly - and corrected the error. What a fantastic service! Both us and the hotel staff were surprised!!
Although we managed to see the Forbidden City, the Summer Palace and the Great Wall (Mutinyau) there is so much more to see in Beijing, we hope to be back soon and then we will definitely go back to this hotel!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank jessieno

Reviewed 23 February 2014

This hotel suited us perfectly. We prefer to stay away from the big corporate hotels. The location was very good, a short walk to the metro station, and a longer walk to the Forbidden City and Tiananmen square. The staff were excellent, the room was quiet, spotless and comfortable. Breakfast was excellent. We really enjoyed the feeling that we were staying in a real neighborhood rather than a large corporate hotel facing on to a busy street. As we were traveling very lightly it was easy to walk from the main street to the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite - it had a very nice sitting area in the room. It was on the second floor and h...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank annelfr
Reviewed 17 February 2014

If you are used to and like staying in hotels like Radissons, Hilton's etc.... This hotel may not be for you. It's location is not the prettiest and it's quite traditional and authentic. The building is in excess of 200 years old, however it makes for a good experience when staying in Beijing. The hotel is within walking distance to the city centre (approx. 20 mins) and is approx. 30 mins from the forbidden city, palace etc.... Breakfast was not great however you were able to eat toast at least. The hotel was quite cold especially walking to and from the reception and the breakfast area. If arriving at night it can seem quite scary given it's located on a very narrow side street, however our taxi driver was happy to drop us off right outside the door. The hotel were happy to arrange day trips and help with any other questions about the area. We ate in the hotel one night and service was very slow, it took 1 hour to be served a starter, however it was worth the wait as it was very tasty and reasonably priced. I guess if you want to stay somewhere a bit different then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mistylibby
Oliver_Tian, Manager at Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thanks a lot for your time to make a review for us and the winter is really the tough season for both the hotel and our guests. The large courtyard open to the air can give our unique experience as well as some inconvenience especially in cold weather. But with the coming of spring, everything will be restored to her perfect mode and hope to have another chance to serve you and your lovely family.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

A wonderful Hotel in a really excellent location. We had a fabulous three nights here in the honeymoon suite and everyone was so nice and helpful. If you want to experience a little bit of China stay here and not at some westernised faceless hotel where you could be anywhere in the world. We sat outside in the courtyards having an evening drink looking at the beautiful rooms and coloured lanterns surrounding us and it really was magical. The rooms all have good facilities and plenty of tea ! The breakfast was very good and plentiful, with plenty of choice. All the staff speak excellent English so no language problems at all. Everybody is also incredibly helpful to. All the reviews on here are correct, it is an excellent choice for your stay in Beijing.

Room Tip: Honeymoon suite bigger and not much more in money, but worth it.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed for 6 nights in this lovely hotel. We enjoyed the very helpfull staff. The room was very clean and had a lovely autentic athmosphere. Great breakfast.
Hotel situated in a hutong gives you a nice experience of the Beijing real life.
Short walk to metro station and it is possible to walk to Tian an men square.
Very nice local restaurants nearby.
We will come back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

This is my third visit to Beijing and this time I decided to stay at Double happiness, it is a traditional Beijing hotel but I felt it was more like a good hostel or maybe a 3 star hotel. The hotel is located in a congested Hutong and not in the best location but not the worst either. It is all a little tacky and cheap and paying the rate I paid I felt this was too expensive compared to other similar hotels I stayed in Beijing. The lady however at the desk whose name I can not remember (made up of 3 english names) was super friendly and made me feel very welcome after flying in from the North East of China. The hotel was clearly busy at the desk and she had some difficulties coping with it all when I arrived , but she did do a great job although it all took a little while.

This is not a luxury hotel at all more like a good hostel as i wrote earlier. The room I stayed in was super small and a notice in the bathroom read do not use too much hot water as it will basically run out quickly which did put me off and I was happy my wife was not with me as we would have had to check out. When I spotted some hairs in the shower however it did put me off but as I was here for business and had little time available I just put up with it.

There was a computer in the room which I did not except and I did like the tea service in the room
The bed however was small for me but I was on my own which meant it was ok. The room however felt very claustrophobic and uncomfortable as a result. I would certainly recommend to reserve a larger size room especially if there is 2 of you.

The restaurant and bar area really lets this place down. I ate some noodles late afternoon early evening which i could not finish. there was nobody else there as the area is fa less attractive compared to the courtyard ares when you feel do del you are in the middle of Beijing. Breakfast was pretty awful. It was cluttered, messy, and to an extend that tables were left dirty for ages with food and crumbles on the floor. Buffet selection was fine.

The check out was completely different to the check in almost to the point of being rude but I am never really sure if this is related to the language barrier. I would not stay here again on my next visit to beijing.

Room Tip: the cheapest room I had was too small and claustrophobic , order a larger room…...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank willem333

Dear guest, I am so sorry to know we failed to provide satisfying service for your stay and please email me your room No. and checkout date at hotel37@gmail.com. I will personally check our service shortcomings and I want to make sincere apology for your bad feeling and inconvenience.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Had a great time in Double Happinesse. The Team is so nice, helpfull, hospitable and well prepared. The chinese style of the Hotel makes your stay from the first moment perfect. I can highly recomend this Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo