“Amazing staff”

Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #12 of 6,527 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 16 June 2014

My husband and I were celebrating our twentieth wedding anniversary and as part of our trip booked this little hotel located in a Hutong,for those who don't know what this is ( I certainly didn't ) it's a very local and slightly off putting area. Please don't be put off it is well worth a visit. We were welcomed by the receptionist who had excellent English and couldn't do enough for us. Our room was located in a tranquil courtyard a very welcome oasis in the middle of the madness of Beijing. A day after arriving we were moved to the wedding suite which was also adjacent to another lovely courtyard. The staff were amazingly helpful and answered all our queries. The little bar was lovely at the end of a tiring day. I would highly recommend it,particularly as my husband left his iPad behind him and they packaged it up really well and posted it to Shanghai at no cost to us. We left there feeling really good.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel

Reviewed 15 June 2014

What a lovely place to end our holiday in China! We spent the last few days of our honeymoon here, in the bridal suite and it was a real treat. The curtained bed, traditional furniture and decor - though with modern conveniences - was a beautiful way to end the trip. The staff were incredibly helpful, and always said hello and chatted when we came in and out. They helped us with taxis around town and to the airport, too. We went to the hotel's traditional music performance and dinner one night to get the full experience. Our favourite part was the courtyard area - a perfect place to sun and catch up on holiday literature, with a friendly cat!

Room Tip: Bridal suite was not too much extra but well worth the extravagant decor experience!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The Double Happiness Hotel came recommended by several people, and I can see why! We were wanting a "very Beijing" experience, from the hotel, to the food, to the attractions we were planning on visiting during our stay, and this converted courtyard in the traditional Hutong section of Beijing was a pleasant surprise. The staffs are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are charming and yet updated to accommodate today's travelers. It's a great alternative to the larger hotel chains if you're wanting a "very Beijing" experience! We will recommend to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I've stayed at a wide range of places in Beijing, from a $6 a night hostel to the Peninsula. But I would stay at the Double Happiness before any other place in the city. The location is terrific, a short bike ride to the Forbidden City and located on a wonderful alley, to make you feel connected to the city. Rooms are beautiful, lots of outlets for electronics, very clean, with big windows. Great courtyard spaces with tables and places to relax. But the biggest surprise was the staff. Flawless English, lots of smiles and kind greetings, incredibly attentive. Without a doubt the best hotel staff I have encountered in Beijing. A fantastic place to stay.

Room Tip: Lots of options, all open to a courtyard, though the first level rooms have easier access.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My 5 children and I stayed at the Double Happiness for 6 nights while my husband had to travel back to the US on business. The staff helped me with EVERYTHING! Excursions, transportation, even our VISA which we didn't realize was expiring and we needed to renew! The entire staff was amazing at helping us!!! We felt safe and well taken care of for our entire stay. The location is so cool and unique in the hutongs...exploring the neighborhood was one of our favorite things to do in Beijing. We did not want to stay in a gigantic hotel so Double Happiness was the perfect choice. The decor is fun and welcoming. The staff is great at getting taxis for you to go places but it can be a challenging getting a taxi driver to take you home. My recommendation is to get the staff at Double Happiness to write the cross streets down on a card for you in Chinese and tell taxi drivers to drop you off on the main street and simply walk down the alleyway. They are more likely to take you if they don't have to drive down the alleyway.

Room Tip: All the rooms are unique and comfy!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I stayed here last year and loved it. So this year I returned for a 6 night stay. This can truly be your home away from home while in Beijing. As on this trip I was traveling alone, I felt safe and knew if I had any problems the hotel staff would be able to help me as those who work in reception and in the restaurant/bar at night speak English fluently enough for everyday use. This Chinese courtyard hotel oozes charm from the red lanterns hung in the courtyard to the classic bedroom decor. In the courtyard there are places to sit and read or visit with friends. There are several beautiful fountains and the walls near the lobby are decorated with antique poitraits of old China as well as with interesting Chinese memorabilia. The beds are firm but not rock-hard as I have found in many Asian hotels. The wifi is fast and free. Your room is stocked with all of the amenities that you could want, fresh fruit, a well-stocked mini bar, complimentary water, and some useful toiletry items. Same day laundry service is very inexpensive and good. The restaurant/bar is very comfortable, the food is good, and the bottled beer is cold. I have not needed to book tours through them but those who I spoke to who had were very pleased. The hotel is located in a charming hutong area and is on a one way street down which cars can pass. I have had no problem getting a taxi (which are very inexpensive) to drop me off in front of the hotel. Over my visits I have stayed in a single (one twin bed), a double (one double bed), and a twin. The double and the twin rooms are larger and 3 bottles of water are provided each day vs 2 for a single room. The single room is narrow but just fine for a single person, but if you need or want more room go for the double or twin. Which ever way you go you won't be disappointed...enjoy!

Room Tip: Take a screen shot of a map showing where the hotel is in order to show it to a taxi driver along wi...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 June 2014

It’s easy to see why this hotel is #1 out of 5,000 in Beijing. Excellent service from the moment you step into the lobby. The staff was very attentive and spoke excellent English. We had a very early flight so they even arranged to have a breakfast ready for us at 0530 with some fresh fruit yogurt, and snacks. The rooms are unique, clean, and well appointed. There is also free Wi-Fi in room. The hotel is located in an alley so it can be difficult to get a taxi to understand where it is unless you speak good Mandarin. Even with the name and address written down it often took 2 or 3 attempts to find a cab that could get us there. But that adds to the charm. You will not feel like you are in the middle of 1 of the largest cities on Earth when you stay here. The whole hotel has more of a boutique feel to it. I couldn’t recommend this hotel highly enough. It’s a must stay in Beijing.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple