“A Great Place to Stay”

Double Happiness Beijing Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #11 of 6,556 Hotels in Beijing
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I loved my stay at this hotel. It;s in the winding backstreets of Beijing's hutongs so you really feel like you're seeing a slice of the real China as you walk to and from the hotel.

The rooms are clean and quirky. The hotel has a beautiful courtyard and roof terrace. There is a friendly bar and everything is reasonably priced for a hotel. The breakfast is huge and gorgeous. The staff are very friendly and very helpful.

The Facilities are three star in terms of the rooms and facilities, but the welcome and the uniqueness of the hotel is a five star experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Sarah G

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I can't write enough superlatives about this hotel. Whilst it takes some finding, and the road to it is very unpresuming, once you get there it is so so worth the find. First of all what might be perceived as downsides, the hotel location is not well known by airport taxi drivers, and our taxi took a lot of phone calls before he found exactly where it was, and when he got there he didn't locate it exactly so dropped us some 100 metres away from where we should have been. Then as we were driving down the very narrow local street to the hotel full of local food places and local houses, my wife was severely starting to doubt my judgement, I'm so pleased to say that as soon as you get inside the hotel all doubts are dispelled. This is not 5 star, and is not western, it is a traditional chinese hotel decorated in traditional style, but it is absolutely awesome inside. Rooms are not huge but fascinating, and our room opened onto a lovely courtyard with tables and water feature where we just loved to step out and sit and take in the peace which was a real Oasis in the middle of Beijing. The hotel had everything we needed, including a bar which served food, and we ate in 2 nights. Chinese food was good, the European food was average. Everyone of the staff in this hotel speak excellent English and the level of customer service is outstanding, nothing is too much trouble and they go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The guests are split between chinese and western and both nationalities appeared quite comfortable. The breakfast buffet was excellent. The breakfast room as perhaps on the small side and at peak times getting a table was challenging. The hotel once you discover it is well placed and walkable to a metro station ( 15 minutes). Getting taxis is a little more challenging but no more than we found in the whole of. Beijing which is why we tended to rely in the metro. We absolutely loved is hotel and can't recommend highly enough. I very rarely rate anything xcellent On trip advisor, but this is a real exception , and would say to anyone this is a just stay if you are in Beijing. We paid around 900 per night (B&B) Yuan for one of the best rooms in the hotel. Delightful

4  Thank Richard F
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is a wonderful boutique hotel. My advise is, get an airport transfer because the hotel is not easy to find on your first day in Beijing, esp if you arrive past midnight like we did. The staff are great and they all speak good english. If you want a change from the standard decor of 5 star hotels this is a nice hotel with traditional chinese decor that will give you an experience of old china. The hotel is situated in the Hutong (but do not expect to see an ancient town feel here. The houses are mostly made of cement. The most 'ancient china' feel that you will get will be within the hotel. There are several local eateries just a stone's throw from the hotel and the Beijing subway is about 10-15 mins walk. It is really convenient to get to most of the tourist attractions within central Beijing. Being an overseas chinese, I loved the variety of dishes (mostly local) served during breakfast altho I must say Beijing people love very oily food. McDonald's is right by the subway station if you are tired of local fare. We loved our stay there, especially the peace and quiet of sitting in the courtyard after a day's out. However, I do have a one complain, the toilet did not flush properly. The water just would not go down. It was true with the 1st room we had and also true with the 2nd room and the room of our other travelling companion. We made complains at the front desk but they just sent a lady with a suction stick each time. It apparently didnt work and I was loathe to go to toilet each day. I ended up feeling very uncomfortable and was so happy to stay at the Xian Crowne Plaza on the next leg of my trip in China.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NamuraIPOH
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Ready to jump in to your China trip? Come to the hutongs and stay at the Double Happiness. Yes, the decor kind of Chinese kitsch but the courtyard experience is wonderful, like a world apart. Walking in the alley is a little rough (hutong housing does not include private bathrooms so the residents use the public bathrooms) but it is fascinating. There are several good restaurants and an absolutely fantastic tiny restaurant right across the opening of the hutong- no idea what the name is, no English spoken but great food. There is a bar in the hotel with a very chatty waitress but the food is mediocre. We would definitely stay there again.

2  Thank NancyW260
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Courtyard hotels are the second best choice in Beijing. Nobody will argue that the star hotel tops all but the courtyard hotel give a completely different experience. Visiting Beijing every year for several stays of a two weeks I prefer a courtyard hotel because it gives an intimate feel of China.
Double Happiness is inside of a Hutong(small original alley with small yards surrounded with houses). Double Happiness is one of the best with original preserved chinese rooms(even one with a stone bed) and lovely courtyards where you can sit and still feel like being in ancient China. It is in a Hutong that ends on both side in a large shopping street. Nice Korean Barbecue restaurant nearby and 10 minutes walk away from the big shopping street WangFujing. Also the post office is nearby and a subway stop just around the corner. Travelling by subway is easy in Beijing. Both excellent with children and last but not least a nice breakfast in the morning.

Room Tip: Ask for the wedding room or for the stone bed room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank H V
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Double Happiness Hotel. I worked for hotels for over 6 years, have traveled to many countries, and stayed at all types of hotels...and I can confidently say this hotel is by far one of the best experiences I've had. The customer service was amazing. The staff were attentive, genuine, friendly, and very helpful. I received an upgrade to a suite upon arrival. The décor was very unique and the bed was very comfortable. Very good value for your money. The internet connection was a bit slow but I was happy that they offered free Wi-Fi in the rooms. It was a bit difficult for the cab driver to drive through the narrow street that the hotel is located on, but he managed. The location is very convenient and not far from all the major tourist attractions. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I thank everyone at Double Happiness Courtyard for making my stay very enjoyable and comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LushwWanderlust
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Double Happiness Courtyard Hotel is located on a typical Beijing hutong. Outside, the street is busy, lively and noisy, but inside the hotel is a serene and calm oasis in the city. It is quite convenient to city centre attractions, Tiananmen square, Wangfujing, etc are relatively close. It is also close to the Dongsi metro station, which makes getting to other sights, like the Temple of Heaven, very easy. It can be tricky getting cab drivers to drive to the entrance, but it's not a long walk up the hutong to get there.
Rooms have all modern conveniences, but still have a clear flavour of a traditional Chinese courtyard house. On our first night, we were upgraded to the honeymoon suite, which was really beautiful, with a big traditional Chinese honeymoon bed. On our other two nights we stayed in the room we’d actually booked, which was also comfortable. My fiancée, who is Chinese, found the beds a little soft.
The hotel is very clean, the bathroom is modern and well-maintained, and meets the quality of accommodation you would expect for the price. The decoration, objects on display, attitude of the staff all meet high standards without feeling cold or corporate. Staff were very warm, with excellent English and lots of knowledge about the city.
Breakfast is a buffet of Chinese (steamed buns, dumplings…) and western (cold cuts, cheese…) foods, with fruit, bread, etc. Not the highlight of the hotel, but fine for me. There is also a little bar in the hotel where musical performances are given in the evenings. There are lots of places to eat nearby.
I felt sorry that I couldn’t stay longer. I think it would be a nice place to laze around for a week or two. I will stay here again next time I visit Beijing.

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite is worth thinking about. Not just for honeymooners.
1  Thank Paul M