“An amazing place to stay”

Autumn Garden Courtyard Hotel
Ranked #890 of 6,474 Hotels in Beijing
Melbourne
“An amazing place to stay”
Reviewed 11 March 2010

The rooms are cosy and decorated in the chinese style. About 15 minutes for walk away from the forbidden city and tinanamen square.The most outstanding aspect was the helpful attitude of the staff. They take hospitality seriously in China, and the Spring Garden exemplifies this.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Zurich
Reviewed 3 January 2010

Staying at hutong area is must to every openminded traveller! Hotel is nice and sure chinese experience. Nice staff and beautiful rooms!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Surrey
Reviewed 19 November 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Autumn Garden hotel at the end of our trans-siberian railway trip from Moscow and staying there was one of the highlights of an amazing holiday. Staying in the hutong was so much better than an international style hotel, we really felt that we experienced a 'real' bit of Beijing. We loved the choice of english or chinese breakfasts, the room was gorgeous and having free internet was incredibly useful. The location was wonderful too, only 10 minutes walk to Tiananmen square.

Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
chicago
Reviewed 11 September 2009

The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, enabling you to find your bearings by providing a trishaw facility to the main road from the hotel. The location of the hotel is a 5 minute walk from Qianmen subway and the furnishings of the hotel rich in tradition. You may not get the western breakfasts you do in more modern hotels but it gives you an opportunity to live like the locals.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
Bahrain
Reviewed 14 December 2008

This is a great little hotel, I booked this hotel based on previous reviews, so I thought I would come on here and recommend it myself.
I went to Beijing on my own for 4 nights to see what its like. It is quite a crazy place, Chinese people seem to take advantage of tourists at every possible opportunity.
The Autumn Garden Hotel however is amazing, such nice people, and I consider it a great price for what I got. Its location is great if you want to get a slight feel of what its like living in China.
You need to walk down a couple of narrow alley ways to get to the Hotel, but it is very close to Tienanmen Square, with a lot of sites close by, such as the Temple of Heaven and Forbidden City within walking distance. Also there is a touring company with nice and cheap tours (although in Chinese) which is less than 10 minutes walk away next to Tienanmen Square.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. Breakfast is simple but decent. The People are fantastic, talk English and are very very helpful. They picked me up from the airport without any charge, Im not sure if this is a regular service, but it was helpful. If it is your first time in China, I recommend getting picked up, as taxi drivers talk very little English if any at all, and the Hotel can be hard to find, Taxi drivers wont know it.

The hotel welcomes you very nicely, and give you a map to the area and to the hotel, and even a mobile phone to use while you stay with them.
The hotel had everything you should need, but I was truly impressed by the service there which easily allows me to recommend it. In contrast to most of the Chinese which I met who seemed to try and take me for every cent that I had, this little hotel was there for me for every need, without trying to charge me for the help that they offered, or even the things which I expected to pay for such as the half a day late checkout, or airport pick up.

If you want a simple, relaxing, and friendly stay, try the Autumn Garden. I will no doubt be staying there again on my next visit.

• Liked — The friendly service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
B.C. Canada
Reviewed 10 November 2008

Just got back from Beijing and a wonderful experience staying in the middle of a hutong (maze of alleyways) in Beijing, just next door to Tian'anmen Square. This inn is truly an oasis in a crazy busy city and right in the middle of what feels like 50 years ago - staff were so welcoming and accomodating - if you want a taxi, they have one - we went to the Great Wall with our very own driver - even had a (very simple) lunch prepared by one of the staff - who were all delightful - lovely courtyard - very quiet even though in the midst of chaos - a real feel for old China - haven't downloaded our photos yet, but willing to share if anyone is interested!

Stayed November 2008
Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 1 November 2008

This is a really lovely traditional style hotel, located literally just 5 minutes walk away from Tianmen square as well as lots of eating options & shops. The girls at the front desk were very friendly, helpful and spoke good english. The rooms are very pretty and comfortable, with modern western style bathrooms. Since it's located in the hutong (lots of narrow, confusing alley ways) It's a good idea to take with you the address of the hotel writen in Chinese characters as well as the phone number, so the taxi driver can call for directions. We were given a mobile to use during our stay - and took it with us when we went off to North Korea for a week and then called when we got back, and they sent out a car to pick us up from the station. On our return we also got upgraded to a bigger room. The bathrooms were pretty much the same in both rooms - the sinks make a brilliant nose when you tap them. I booked, as I usually do, on www.venere.com - this is an excellent website and no down payment required.

• Liked — They really made us feel welcomed
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)