“Really friendly staff in a nice clean hotel”

Da Li Tang Hotel Chongqing
Ranked #620 of 3,165 Hotels in Chongqing
Melbourne, Australia
“Really friendly staff in a nice clean hotel”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Clean room, great service and close to everything. Walking distance from the Three Gorges Museum.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank gobey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Germany/UK
Reviewed 15 April 2010

We chose the hotel (on the internet) because it seemed different from the standard western fare. As it happened, we appeared to be the only western guests during our short stay. The building is impressive and the location is superb - right next to People's Square where the colourful evening street life is more like the Mediterranean than a Chinese industrial city. The room was quite large and comfortable, the staff were helpful and friendly (but spoke little English). Breakfast was Chinese and therefore a with large selection of food. The hotel used to be called the People's Hotel and this shows (rather like the old Grand Hotel in East Berlin). The TV was broken (which didn't bother us), the bathroom was a bit antiquated and the walls were rather thin. These are minor quibbles, however, as the hotel was great value for money.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed 12 October 2008

I have nothing but good things to say about my experience at this hotel, which I reserved, sight-unseen, over the internet because the price was attractive and I liked the classic Chinese architecture in the internet pix. I spent two days in Chongqing in mid-September 2008, both nights at this hotel. I’m a 69-yr-old Canadian male, and was traveling alone.

Economy: At 712 CNY ($115 CAD) for two nights it was as good as any other 3-5-star hotel in which I stayed during 2 weeks in southern and southwestern China.

Quality: Attractive lobby. The rooms were impeccably clean and well-appointed, the beds (“soft” in Chinese terms, i.e., not just a bare box-spring) were firm and comfortable, internet and buffet breakfast included.

Service: Staff had limited English, but all that I needed, including help getting a train ticket when I left. One morning I arrived 15 minutes late for breakfast, and the staff rustled up something for me from the food that had already been put away.

Convenience: Taxi to and from the main train station, across the river to the north, was 14-16 CNY metered. Less than 1 km walk to the nearest line-1 monorail station, cost 1 CNY to go downtown. I walked one way to the city centre, about 3 non-strenuous km.

Surroundings: Varied, which I liked. It’s just 5 minutes to the Chongqing People’s Great Hall, and across a broad plaza from it, the Three Gorges Museum. All around are buildings of many vintages and qualities, and a richly varied street life of ordinary Chongqing people – outdoor markets, shops, etc. I felt completely safe and comfortable everywhere I went.

If I return to Chongqing, and I hope that I will, I’ll return to the DLT.

• Liked — Great value - four-star accommodation at three-star price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)