I go to Hong Kong quite often, and tried this hotel this time as the review here was very good.
There must be a marketing genius in this hotel group. "Happy hour free drinks, 24 hours gym, free breakfast..." these are the amenities which I noticed from their web site, and together with wonderful reviews here, I was fascinated to try this hotel. From these wordings, I imagined of facilities and services which I have experienced at so called 4 star 5 star hotels in the past. The fact is...
- There is no lounge area except 2 x 2 seater sofas at the reception. The reception itself is very small, and though bottles of white and red wine are placed there for "happy hour", what you need to do is to sit at the small reception area and drink uncomfortably looking at the check-in desk, staff and hotel guests checking-in and inquiring very close to you. No atmosphere.
- Gym - it is located just adjacent to the reception, thus very little sense of privacy. The space is very small and facilities are limited. There are 2 treadmills which I imagined would create substantial noises to the reception area, thus I opted not to use it. This is practically my first time not using the hotel gym while there is one.
- Breakfast - I never imagined breakfast would be served at a cheapie takeaway cafe with a plastic juice cup and cutlery. The hotel has no coffee shop facility, and this is the place you have your "hotel breakfast".
Other disappointments are:
- No table and sofa in the room although there is a desk along the wall and a desk-chair. This means if you want to enjoy takeaway food with your partner, you probably would have to spread newspaper on the bed and place food on it, then sit around the bed and eat.
- Limited view from the window. My room was on 21st floor, thus there was no issue of outside noise even on Friday night. But the window is small for a hotel room and the height is only from your upper lumbar region up, thus practically no view when you sit on bed or on the chair. I am too used to a wide floor-to-wall window at hotels in Hong Kong, this was a disappointment. Nothing to look at when relaxing on bed was kind of torture for me because I am not a TV person.
- Water pressure of shower - it was just ok with the rain-shower (as a rain-shower), but was extremely weak with the hand shower. For a person like me who appreciate strong water-pressure, there is no option other than using the rain-shower. For me it was frustrating.
- No doored closet. Your clothes have to be barely hung or stored in drawers.
Overall I had an impression that staying at this hotel was like staying at a furnished apartment, which is just like an extension of my regular life. While I appreciate a private atmosphere, I was not able to feel something beyond my usual, like multi-national / multi-cultural liveliness you see at a "hotel lobby" at big hotelsfor example. Suppose how you feel from this hotel very much relies on what you expect from your hotel stay.
- Free wi-fi
- Amenities including free mini-bar (although I consumed a few drinks only)
- Helpful staff
- Bed looked smaller than the usual queen size
- Bed mattress looked thiner than the usual hotel bed (maybe not the mattress but the overall bed height)
- Low ceiling
- Thin wall (noise from the next door was easily heard)
- Slight noise from the air-con
- Room rate for the hotel facility
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In Central's Lan Kwai Fong (LKF), next to Soho, Ovolo Central is our flagship hotel which is located in the heart of the city's entertainment and business district. We're just minutes away from restaurants, bars, shopping and Central MTR. Most importantly, The Best Things in Life are FREE! Get Breakfast and Happy Hour FREE only when you book directly on Ovolo Hotels official website. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Agoda, Ctrip TA, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Ovolo Central reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ovolo Hotels And Serviced Apartments 2 Arbuthnot Road Hk Hotel Hong Kong
- Ovolo Central Hong Kong