“Overrated”
Review of Ovolo Central

Ovolo Central
Ranked #20 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

I go to Hong Kong quite often, and tried this hotel this time as the review here was very good.

There must be a marketing genius in this hotel group. "Happy hour free drinks, 24 hours gym, free breakfast..." these are the amenities which I noticed from their web site, and together with wonderful reviews here, I was fascinated to try this hotel. From these wordings, I imagined of facilities and services which I have experienced at so called 4 star 5 star hotels in the past. The fact is...

- There is no lounge area except 2 x 2 seater sofas at the reception. The reception itself is very small, and though bottles of white and red wine are placed there for "happy hour", what you need to do is to sit at the small reception area and drink uncomfortably looking at the check-in desk, staff and hotel guests checking-in and inquiring very close to you. No atmosphere.

- Gym - it is located just adjacent to the reception, thus very little sense of privacy. The space is very small and facilities are limited. There are 2 treadmills which I imagined would create substantial noises to the reception area, thus I opted not to use it. This is practically my first time not using the hotel gym while there is one.

- Breakfast - I never imagined breakfast would be served at a cheapie takeaway cafe with a plastic juice cup and cutlery. The hotel has no coffee shop facility, and this is the place you have your "hotel breakfast".

Other disappointments are:

- No table and sofa in the room although there is a desk along the wall and a desk-chair. This means if you want to enjoy takeaway food with your partner, you probably would have to spread newspaper on the bed and place food on it, then sit around the bed and eat.

- Limited view from the window. My room was on 21st floor, thus there was no issue of outside noise even on Friday night. But the window is small for a hotel room and the height is only from your upper lumbar region up, thus practically no view when you sit on bed or on the chair. I am too used to a wide floor-to-wall window at hotels in Hong Kong, this was a disappointment. Nothing to look at when relaxing on bed was kind of torture for me because I am not a TV person.

- Water pressure of shower - it was just ok with the rain-shower (as a rain-shower), but was extremely weak with the hand shower. For a person like me who appreciate strong water-pressure, there is no option other than using the rain-shower. For me it was frustrating.

- No doored closet. Your clothes have to be barely hung or stored in drawers.

Overall I had an impression that staying at this hotel was like staying at a furnished apartment, which is just like an extension of my regular life. While I appreciate a private atmosphere, I was not able to feel something beyond my usual, like multi-national / multi-cultural liveliness you see at a "hotel lobby" at big hotelsfor example. Suppose how you feel from this hotel very much relies on what you expect from your hotel stay.

Pros
- Location
- Free wi-fi
- Amenities including free mini-bar (although I consumed a few drinks only)
- Nespresso
- Tablewares
- Helpful staff

Other cons
- Bed looked smaller than the usual queen size
- Bed mattress looked thiner than the usual hotel bed (maybe not the mattress but the overall bed height)
- Low ceiling
- Thin wall (noise from the next door was easily heard)
- Slight noise from the air-con
- Room rate for the hotel facility

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ramazzotti_tokyo
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear Ramazzotti_Tokyo,

Thank you for taking the time to post such an in-depth review of your experience with us online. We appreciate the positives you listed on service and free Wi-Fi but overall it appears we didn’t match your expectations to our normal high standards. Given the space of the building we fit in as many useful guest facilities as possible. While we wouldnt categorize ourselves on a conventional star system we are confident that our optimized offering can cater to most guest needs. Please know that the larger windows, gym and lounge spaces you requested can be found at our Ovolo Hotels located a little further outside the city centre.

Mr Ramazzotti, again we regret that this time did not deliver to your satisfaction but do hope you will give us a chance to host again. If you would like to discuss any of the above matter further or plan a future trip with us do not hesitate to contact us. Happy holidays!

There are newer reviews for Ovolo Central

Reviewed 21 December 2013

The worst experience ever!!! When i was in the middle of shower, the water suddenly turned cold for no reason, the employee changed a room for us. Tonight, the same thing happened again!!! When I contacted the hotel employee, they said this just how their heater worked. After one person took a shower, you have to wait for 5-10min for the heater to burn again. They never told me when i checked in, or mentioned on their website, which i think is a very important info. If i have known this beforehead, i would never ever stay at this hotel. Ovolo hotel is an award winning hotel, and i cant not believe this is what a customer should be treated. Will never ever stay here again

• Stayed: December 2013
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for your review. As a smaller player with limited rooms we take guest relations very seriously at Ovolo. Firstly we would like to express sincere regret for any inconvenience. Per internal discussion and check, the room you were staying had a malfunction and we moved you to another which was fully operational to your satisfaction (plus a bottle of wine). We have since fixed the shower in the room. Every room has there own water system so waiting for another guest is never an issue. This was miscommunication to you and for this we are sorry.

Lisa, I assure you your experience was one of poor luck and not up to our normal standards. I do hope you will give us the chance to do right by you in the future. You are invited back anytime. If you wish to discuss further please contact me at your convenience.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

The only reason I'm not giving this 5 circles is because it was NOISY until 3 or 4 AM. We could hear the bass from some club next door. Other than that it is a fantastic place and I'm sure the noise dims if you get a higher room or it's not a weekend. On the other hand if you want to party - this place rocks and you can sleep in. Breakfast was great

Room Tip: Get a higher room to avoid the noise from loud LKF.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear RT1971,

Thank you for posting such a nice review of Ovolo 2 Arbuthnot Road. We appreciate the kind words about our service and do apologize for the unprecedented noise coming from LKF over the holiday weekend. We pride ourselves on our lively urban locales though sometimes they overdo even our expectations. Our guest's sleep quality is of utmost importance to us and we've raised this issue with local establishments before.

RT1971, thank you again for choosing us. I do hope you give us the chance to earn that 5th star in the future!

Reviewed 16 December 2013

We had the best experience at Ovolo 2 Arbuthnot Road, Hong kong. The quality of the hotel was fantastic but the service from the team was even better, they truly went out of their way to accomodate us and ensure we had the best experience on our trip helping us with directions, translations for taxi drivers and even went as far as locating my lost property after a drunken night out - AMAZING! Not to mention the free mini bar!

Room Tip: Perfect on location, quality and ease of getting around, they helped us with everything!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear LondonShazza,

Thanks for writing such a great 5-star review of Ovolo. Its great to read that our team made your Hkay vacay all the better! Please come and party with us again in 2014!

Cheers,

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Check in was easy, got the room a bit early. William gave us drinks and coffee while we waited for the rooms to be ready. We got lots of tips for the stay. Room is perfect for 1-2 people. Great firm bed, loved the decorating, room temperature was perfect. The freebies, the laundry and gym were great. Gym is cardio focused but 24hrs which helps at 4am! Also the breakie was good even though 'fast food'. I will be back, loved it.

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Danomites,

Thank you for posting such a positive 5-star review about us on tripadvisor! Our team here was delighted to read how 'perfect' we made your stay in Central HK. Please visit us again next time you are in town. Thanks.

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 12 December 2013

A local friend in HK helped to select this hotel and we could not have been more pleased. Great location, short walk to everything in Central, near nightlife and many restaurants. Our stay was 9 nights and we could not have been treated better anywhere, each and every member of the staff was more than helpful and responsive to any question or need we had. The room size was perfect, being a New Yorker, I expected a smaller space and was pleasantly surprised with the overall space, cleanliness, ammenities and comfortable bedding. Two rooms per floor made it feel very private, and there was no problem with street noise as others have stated(we were floor 10). The free mini bar was such a treat, not having to bring in our own water and beverages! Having a gym, laundry and evening happy hour, just icing on the cake! Thanks William and all the staff for contributing to such a great holiday in HK. I will surely be back to the Ovolo on my next visit to HK.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank youngkl31

Dear yougkl31,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a great 5-star review of Ovolo 2 Arbuthnot Road. We sincerely appreciated your kind words on the room designs and the freebies. From one big city slicker to another, we are grateful for your NYC seal of approval! Please come stay with us again next time HK enters your travel plans.

Cheers,

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Had a great stay half business half leisure in Hong Kong. This Hotel is perfectly located for both and is exceptionally well equiped. Maybe the lower levels might be a bit noisy for sleeping due to the nightlife in the vicinity. however we've had a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Adrian,

Thank you for writing such a lovely 5-star review of Ovolo 2 Arbuthnot Road. Hong Kong is a haven for business travelers so to get your seal of approval means an awful lot to us. Thank you. I cordially invite you to visit us again anytime.