“Nice stay for honeymooners”
Review of Ovolo Central

Ovolo Central
Ranked #23 of 730 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 25 December 2013

My husband and I booked the hotel for 4 nights. We arrived on Monday and left on Friday night, we had an excellent service all throughout our stay, we had a bottle of wine awaiting us in the room and we were very surprised. The staff was very helpful and friendly, the room very clean. The hotel is not far from the MTR station and it's well situated if you are fond of shopping ( both for girl and man stuff ). Thanks to Gigi, Ricky and their colleagues for our wonderful time in Hong Kong, we will surely come back again.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 December 2013

This hotel is nearly the same price as the Mandarin Oriental and I am struggling to understand why. The location is great close to Soho and Wyndham St/Hollywood Rd bars and restaurants and that's the prime reason we chose to stay here. The Hotel also won a Boutique Hotel of the Year Award this year which gave me some confidence when booking.The rooms are fine and the bathrooms lovely and represent the boutique style of the hotel. They are however noisy from street noise and nightclubs music to 4am (no double glazing and we were on 20+ floor) and from above and next door. The reception area is very basic and by no means like a hotel, boutique or otherwise. The real downer for me was the breakfast served in their cafe. I thought after paying HK$3000 for the room that breakfast might help to make me feel a little better at paying that price. Unfortunately it was like a cheap cafe breakfast - no love on the plate! Plastic cups etc. It reminded me of a quick service restaurant like Tacobell. I feel let down and out of pocket and would not go back nor recommend this hotel. If it was HK$1500 it would be great. If they are getting the occupancy at current prices good luck to them.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StuckinBangers
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear StuckinBangers,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Ovolo 2 Arbuthnot Road experience online. We appreciate the compliments about our location and room design and are happy that you noted our recent award. From your review it is apparent the noise from LKF and breakfast served were let downs and for this we sincerely apologize. It seems every year the nearby holiday festivities get larger and we are always looking into how to better mitigate this for guests. Regarding our complimentary breakfast at Café O, while we do not bill it as full-scale dining we do try and provide everything one would need to kick start their day. I am sorry that you felt your meal wasn’t worthwhile and have discussed the matter with our food&beverage operators. When added into our other service inclusions it is our hope it brings more value to the Ovolo experience. Clearly in this case we did not deliver. Sorry.

StuckinBangers, thank you again for your valuable feedback and for noting where we can improve. I cordially invite you to stay with us again next time Hong Kong enters your travel plans. If you would like to share any more comments on your stay or would like to arrange a future booking please contact me below. Thank you.

Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Nice to stay in a smaller hotel. Service excellent. Furnishings modern with some humorous touches. Free mini bar and snack pack appreciated. Only draw back 'white noise' in the room that is annoying at night. Close to many fine restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank linbinpin

Dear linbinpin,

Thank you for sharing such a positive review of your recent stay at Ovolo. Our team was delighted to read your compliments on the service and in-room freebies. That is why we put them in there! Please let us know next time Hong Kong is in your travel plans as we’d love to host you again.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

i had a stop over in HK and decided to go for this boutique hotel, extremely nice service, Janice and Anna at reception just adorable. the Manager of the hotel helped me with luggage when I was leaving and hailed a taxi for me. this final touch of customized service just adds to a very comfortable stay. I had an extremely nice room with a lot of amenities and some original features such as the Loot bag and the free mini bar

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Said1969,

Thank you for taking the time to post your 5-star feedback to tripadvisor. We sincerely appreciate your noting of our individual team members. Great customer service is the bedrock behind every great hospitality experience and it is humbling for us to hear how we made your trip to Hong Kong better. Please come again to Ovolo any time. Happy holidays!

Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

I go to Hong Kong quite often, and tried this hotel this time as the review here was very good.

There must be a marketing genius in this hotel group. "Happy hour free drinks, 24 hours gym, free breakfast..." these are the amenities which I noticed from their web site, and together with wonderful reviews here, I was fascinated to try this hotel. From these wordings, I imagined of facilities and services which I have experienced at so called 4 star 5 star hotels in the past. The fact is...

- There is no lounge area except 2 x 2 seater sofas at the reception. The reception itself is very small, and though bottles of white and red wine are placed there for "happy hour", what you need to do is to sit at the small reception area and drink uncomfortably looking at the check-in desk, staff and hotel guests checking-in and inquiring very close to you. No atmosphere.

- Gym - it is located just adjacent to the reception, thus very little sense of privacy. The space is very small and facilities are limited. There are 2 treadmills which I imagined would create substantial noises to the reception area, thus I opted not to use it. This is practically my first time not using the hotel gym while there is one.

- Breakfast - I never imagined breakfast would be served at a cheapie takeaway cafe with a plastic juice cup and cutlery. The hotel has no coffee shop facility, and this is the place you have your "hotel breakfast".

Other disappointments are:

- No table and sofa in the room although there is a desk along the wall and a desk-chair. This means if you want to enjoy takeaway food with your partner, you probably would have to spread newspaper on the bed and place food on it, then sit around the bed and eat.

- Limited view from the window. My room was on 21st floor, thus there was no issue of outside noise even on Friday night. But the window is small for a hotel room and the height is only from your upper lumbar region up, thus practically no view when you sit on bed or on the chair. I am too used to a wide floor-to-wall window at hotels in Hong Kong, this was a disappointment. Nothing to look at when relaxing on bed was kind of torture for me because I am not a TV person.

- Water pressure of shower - it was just ok with the rain-shower (as a rain-shower), but was extremely weak with the hand shower. For a person like me who appreciate strong water-pressure, there is no option other than using the rain-shower. For me it was frustrating.

- No doored closet. Your clothes have to be barely hung or stored in drawers.

Overall I had an impression that staying at this hotel was like staying at a furnished apartment, which is just like an extension of my regular life. While I appreciate a private atmosphere, I was not able to feel something beyond my usual, like multi-national / multi-cultural liveliness you see at a "hotel lobby" at big hotelsfor example. Suppose how you feel from this hotel very much relies on what you expect from your hotel stay.

Pros
- Location
- Free wi-fi
- Amenities including free mini-bar (although I consumed a few drinks only)
- Nespresso
- Tablewares
- Helpful staff

Other cons
- Bed looked smaller than the usual queen size
- Bed mattress looked thiner than the usual hotel bed (maybe not the mattress but the overall bed height)
- Low ceiling
- Thin wall (noise from the next door was easily heard)
- Slight noise from the air-con
- Room rate for the hotel facility

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hisao0627

Dear Ramazzotti_Tokyo,

Thank you for taking the time to post such an in-depth review of your experience with us online. We appreciate the positives you listed on service and free Wi-Fi but overall it appears we didn’t match your expectations to our normal high standards. Given the space of the building we fit in as many useful guest facilities as possible. While we wouldnt categorize ourselves on a conventional star system we are confident that our optimized offering can cater to most guest needs. Please know that the larger windows, gym and lounge spaces you requested can be found at our Ovolo Hotels located a little further outside the city centre.

Mr Ramazzotti, again we regret that this time did not deliver to your satisfaction but do hope you will give us a chance to host again. If you would like to discuss any of the above matter further or plan a future trip with us do not hesitate to contact us. Happy holidays!

Reviewed 21 December 2013

The worst experience ever!!! When i was in the middle of shower, the water suddenly turned cold for no reason, the employee changed a room for us. Tonight, the same thing happened again!!! When I contacted the hotel employee, they said this just how their heater worked. After one person took a shower, you have to wait for 5-10min for the heater to burn again. They never told me when i checked in, or mentioned on their website, which i think is a very important info. If i have known this beforehead, i would never ever stay at this hotel. Ovolo hotel is an award winning hotel, and i cant not believe this is what a customer should be treated. Will never ever stay here again

• Stayed: December 2013
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear Lisa,

Thank you for your review. As a smaller player with limited rooms we take guest relations very seriously at Ovolo. Firstly we would like to express sincere regret for any inconvenience. Per internal discussion and check, the room you were staying had a malfunction and we moved you to another which was fully operational to your satisfaction (plus a bottle of wine). We have since fixed the shower in the room. Every room has there own water system so waiting for another guest is never an issue. This was miscommunication to you and for this we are sorry.

Lisa, I assure you your experience was one of poor luck and not up to our normal standards. I do hope you will give us the chance to do right by you in the future. You are invited back anytime. If you wish to discuss further please contact me at your convenience.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

The only reason I'm not giving this 5 circles is because it was NOISY until 3 or 4 AM. We could hear the bass from some club next door. Other than that it is a fantastic place and I'm sure the noise dims if you get a higher room or it's not a weekend. On the other hand if you want to party - this place rocks and you can sleep in. Breakfast was great

Room Tip: Get a higher room to avoid the noise from loud LKF.