“Brilliant! I wish there we more Ovolo's”
Review of Ovolo Central

Ovolo Central
Ranked #22 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Free mini bar (yes, free! Vodka, beer, chocolate and more) a cool little goodie bag of snacks, free backpack, free slippers, great amenities stuff, big room, great shower AND super helpful and nice staff.

Of course the cynic in us all will say nothing is really "free" you're paying for it somewhere, but in comparison to everywhere else I looked in Central HK (or Kowloon for that matter) this was a great deal. If this chain existed elsewhere I would book it without a hesitation.

As for the area, you will find yourself a 10-15 minute (brisk downhill) walk from the star ferry terminal and central MTR, 5 minutes from the mid levels escalators and soho and right amongst the night life of Lan Kwai Fong. You can walk to The Peak tram in 5 minutes, as well as the zoo and Hong Kong park.

What it doesn't have:
- a fancy lobby
- a view of the skyline
- restaurants (but there's a cafe for breakfast or have it in room)
- complete silence (I did hear a tiny little bit of street noise but nothing that bothered me)

Things I loved:
- the mini bar (of course!)
- the free on site self laundry (in a very non laundromat kind of scene)
- free wifi
- breakfast delivered in a goodie bag to my room
- the pillows
- the free happy hour from 6pm to 8pm

And all the fun and generous little touches that you find along the way.

Loved it. Definitely recommend.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank Hopskipandajane
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Hopskipandajane,

Thanks a ton for sharing your brilliant 5-star review on tripadvisor. Really appreciate the enthusiasm! Our team were all delighted to read how much you enjoyed all our freebies and service. Its true we do things a little bit different and there arent that many of us..yet. but good news - we have an Ovolo Hotel in Melbourne too! Check it out and tell us what you think!

Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

been to HK for bussiness and stayed for the weekend.
Ovolo is the perfect hotel for the weekend. location is amaizing,easy to get anywhere, great restaurants all around.
the room are compact but extremely comfortable, seems like everything is thought of and taken care of. complimentary mini bar , espresso machine,snacks and what not. even an office ..
the receptiin staff where very nice and helpfull , made sure we are happy and satisfied all the time. couldnt ask for more !!!
No doubt I will be back !
Thanks for a great experience :)

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tomeramiel
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Tomeramiel,

Thanks for the terrific 5-star review of Ovolo 2 Arbuthnot Road. We love reading what guests notice during their stay and when a great guests seems to take stock of everything...well we are blushing! We look forward to hosting you again!

guestservices@ovolgroup.com

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Let me start by saying I picked the hotel due to the great reviews and it did not disappoint.
clean modern rooms, comfortable beds, free mini bar, great bathroom and bathroom products = great place , also not to mention the desk clerks are all great, very friendly and helpful.

As far as the complaints about noise. Do some research before you go people. LKF is a party area therefore there will be noise. It didn't bother us and we were there for a full weekend. We were on a higher floor so I'm sure that helped. And as far a the other complaint about breakfast, sure it may be the "weakest link" of the hotel but the one time we ate there its was fine and I had no complaints about the food or the service, plus there are a million other places all within walking distance of the Ovolo!

To sum it up, hip modern hotel with clean comfortable rooms and great service in a central area, full of food, bars and shopping. Can't wait to stay there again

Room Tip: higher floors will probably have lesser club noise
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank monkeyFUZ
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear monkeyFUZ,

Thank you so much for your super 5-star review of Ovolo. We are all delighted here to read how much you enjoyed our rooms, service and location in the thick of party central HK. It was great hosting you at Ovolo and we hope we are lucky enough to have the chance again. My email is below should you have further feedback or if I can help arrange a future booking. Thanks again monkeyFUZ!

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I was really excited to stay in this hotel during my first visit to Hong Kong given the positive reviews. However, it failed to live up to my expectations for two main reasons:

(a) Noise - the reviews here really play down how bad it is. The hotel is located in Lan Kwai Fong (LKF), which is a huge expat party district littered with bars playing loud music. Great location for partying and shopping, but this unfortunately means thumping music on most nights which can be heard very clearly from the hotel until the wee hours of the morning. Yes, it does depend on your tolerance to noise whether this is going to be an issue during a stay at this hotel, but for the price I'm paying, I'd like silence when I go to sleep. It was particularly bad on Friday and Saturday nights - I suggest going out to Lan Kwai Fong and getting drunk because that's the only way I could sleep through the bass wobbles which vibrated my room. Invest in some soundproofing ASAP because this is not a small issue.

(b) Breakfast - A hotel of this calibre should have its own in-house breakfast. Instead, they have formed a partnership with a neighbouring cafe to serve breakfast to hotel guests. The food was average, service from cafe staff was terrible and borderline rude, and there's nowhere near enough seats to fit the hotel's guests alongside other public patrons. On a busy Sunday morning, we (group of 4) had to wait about 20 minutes to be seated on a cramped table for 2 because that was the only table available. When asked if we could swap with a lone woman who was seated at the same time on a larger table, they refused.

On the positive side, the room was very spacious, bathroom and rainshower were excellent, overall design was amazing, location was fantastic, staff were excellent and friendly (especially Janice and another young guy who works there) and the free mini-bar (replenished daily), ice and snacks are great inclusions.

If the LKF noise and crappy breakfast aren't an issue, then this is a fine place to stay, but if you want bang-for-your-buck, look elsewhere.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank tone222

Dear tone222,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review on tripadvisor. We are happy to read that overall you enjoyed our hotel facilities and service and regret that the noise and breakfast were letdowns. We will take action on both of these immediately because we want you BACK the next time HK enters your mind!

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist. Thank you.

Cheers,

Reviewed 23 January 2014

It was the first time checking in to a Boutique hotel. Rooms are very functional and spacious. Front desk team are excellent, helpful and friendly. I would just like to mention that the personal touch from a small boutique hotel what I enjoy the most.

Other than that free mini bar, Wifi, and also offering internet access out side of the hotel is far beyond what other big brands can offer.

To improve, the gym is a bit smaller than what i expected, but it's not the mostop important thing for me

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kristy L
Gigi T, Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear Kristy L,

Thank you for sharing your great review of Ovolo 2 Arbuthnot Road on tripadvisor. We are delighted that overall you enjoyed our hotel. As you say we aren't a usual boutique hotel - we fit what space we have full of features and freebies - and when experienced hospitality patrons like yourself notice our service team it means a tremendous deal to all of us. Thank you! We hope to host you at Ovolo again very soon.

Gigi Tse
Hotel Manager
Ovolo 2 Arbuthnot Road

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Having discovered this place, I can't immediately think of any reason to go anywhere else for a HK visit unless you're into public spaces, foyers and bars - all of which are absent at Ovolo, Instead, resources ( and space ) have been put into excellent, large and comfortable rooms ( two per floor ), friendly and helpful staff and a compact gym.
I really can't praise the rooms highly enough : large, well thought out and with excellent, marble-lined bathrooms. A great deal of care has been put into the rooms with Apple TV, printers, enough nicely-chosen giveaways to threaten the hotel's business model ( such as a free mini bar ) and even paperclips, pencils and a rubber on each desk.
Breakfast is at the adjoining Ovolo cafe which was buzzing and friendly.
Great place.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank scoochlondon
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear scoochlondon,

Thank you so much for choosing us and leaving a 5-star review on tripadvisor! From your feedback it appears you really got what Ovolo is all about - smartly spaced rooms and well-thought out freebies!! We put it all together in the hopes that great guests like you find us. Thank you again scoochlondon for your terrific comments. Consider yourself an Ovolo citizen, invited back anytime!

Cheers,

Reviewed 21 January 2014

My husband and I spent six fabulous nights at Ovolo Hotel 2 Arbuthnot Road last week! The location could not be better – just a few minutes from the main business, shopping and dining areas in Hong Kong. A few stairs down and a convenient outdoor escalator back up – only in Hong Kong! The rooms are super comfortable and very well thought out. An excellent bathroom with “rainwater” show, good bed with quality linens, practical desk/working area and safe, and my favourite a Nespresso machine! Everything is of a very high standard, and the free mini bar is handy for a quick drink or snack. And did I mention the staff? A lovely team – they really could not be more helpful. I previously lived in Hong Kong so know the city very well, and I would have to say that this hotel is a little “gem” – well priced, well located and excellent value for money in a very expensive city with a shortage of hotels in the Central district. We’ll definitely be back!

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank 982Sarah

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for leaving such a super 5 star review of Ovolo 2 Arbuthnot Road. Sounds like you really enjoyed every facet of our property and it is heartening to read our team met your needs to a T. We were so happy to host you and your husband and hope you come stay with us again soon!