“Boutique Hotel”

Ranked #18 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

If you go on first impressions then not the hotel for you. The entrance is one door of a busy side street which you could easily miss. Our taxi driver could not find it, luckily I saw a sign and we stopped nearby. No reception on ground floor, no one to greet you, just a couple of lifts and a sign saying reception on first floor. Reception manned by students but they were friendly and helpful. The hotel is made up of about 27 floors with 2 rooms on each floor. The rooms are small and wardrobe & drawer space at a premium. There is a large work area with desk & chair and a well designed bathroom & shower.
Once you get over the first shock - we had just arrived from Kuala Lumpur where we had stopped in a very large club room.at the Traders - the room does have everything for a short stay, especially if on business. The reception area doubled has the lounge for the evening drink session. Only 4 chairs but plenty of wine & beer. Not many people made use of it but usually one or two groups there to talk to each evening. The breakfast is available by order at the small cafe next door or delivered to the room. We eventually went for the free room service.
Coffee and drinks in the room, only miniature spirits but restocked each day and plenty of soft drinks and water.
The hotel turned out to be in a great area once you went down the steps at the side. The street below was rocking every Friday & Saturday night with bars, discos and restaurants.
Quieter the rest of the time but go down another street and more places to eat and only 5 minutes walk to one of the mail shopping streets.
All in all much better than we first thought and a good hotel for a business stop or if you want to be in the thick of the youth action and very central.

Room Tip: All rooms the same - higher floors might be quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this review, 9 March 2014
Dear Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to post such an in-depth and thorough review of your time at ovolo 2 arbuthnot road. Our team was delighted to read that our location and services could overcome what appeared to be a less-than-stellar first impression. Its true we are narrow and unassuming from the outside but once you find us we give 110%! We'd be happy to welcome you back to Ovolo anytime. Please let me know if I can help with further information or a future booking. Thank you!

guestservices@ovologroup.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Efficient customer service!
Greeted with smiles as we walked passed employees!
Vast selections of free mini bar beverages in rooms!
NBN speed (Australia) internet wifi speed!
Very soft pillows and quiet rooms!
Having worked as an employee for Ovolo back in Melbourne - Australia; it was finally great to meet Dirk, the Chief Operating Officer of the Ovolo group while having free breakfast at Cafe O down at the hotel ground floor (OMG loved the freshly squeezed juices they serve there!) Later that night after Disneyland Hong Kong, my partner and I were surprised to find champagne, a welcome/thank you card and Ovolo adapter in our room!
Thank you Dirk and the Ovolo team in A.R.! We had a wonderful time! Ovolo should start expanding in Europe (our next destination!) because there's no other hotel we'd rather stay at!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Jesse,

Thank you for the terrific 5-star review. Delighted to read that you enjoyed all our Hong Kong hotel had to offer. We appreciate the compliments about our soft beds and Cafe O breakfast and hope you'll return to ovolo again very soon.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

At first glance, the hotel was much smaller than I expected. The lobby was also a little bit underwhelming considering the price I paid for the hotel. But after spending some time at the hotel, you start to enjoy the charm that the smaller hotel can offer, and by the time I left, I really enjoyed the atmosphere and in some ways I preferred the more intimate experience.

As many other reviewers have mentioned, the location is fantastic. It's very close to LKF, which is convenient for those who enjoy spending the night out. It should have been quite obvious that the noise levels will be somewhat high, considering its close proximity to the nightlife. I come from the city so the noise levels didn't really bother me at all. It's also not RIGHT next to the clubs and bars, so some of the sound does dissipate. I don't see how it would be possible to find a hotel that is in walking distance to LKF that is also quiet - if a quiet ambience is what you're looking for, then you shouldn't be staying near LKF in the first place. The MTR in Hong Kong closes relatively early (~1am), so it's nice to be able to walk back to the hotel rather than spending the night out until 6am or looking for a cab to take you. While the location of the hotel is somewhat "close" to the MTR station, I would say it's about a 10min walk. It is on somewhat of a steep incline/decline depending on which direction you're going, so you do get quite a bit of a leg workout. We didn't mind the walk too much since there was lots to see on the way to and from the hotel to the MTR.

In terms of the actual room itself, I wouldn't say it is very far off from any 4 or 5 star hotel that you would get in a nearby area. It was quite spacious and clean, as you would expect. What makes the hotel stand out is the extra amenities they provide, from the nice toiletries (Malin + Goez), to the free self-serve laundry, free breakfast in-room or in a boutique café on the first floor, to the free mini bar (enough alcohol to give you a buzz), these extra touches definitely made up for the lack of a proper lobby. The cocktail hour was also served in the lobby, and which can become quite crowded on some days, and be very empty on other days. Nevertheless, it was a nice touch.

When I left the hotel, I accidentally left an envelope full of money. They emailed me right away after I had checked out, and they had someone come down to the lobby to hand the money to me because they knew I was pressed for time. They even counted the money to make sure that I wasn't missing anything. After I picked up the money and left, they emailed me again to make sure that the correct amount of money was left in the envelope. This is the type of service that would be hard to find in a larger hotel, and I definitely realized why some people choose to stay at a smaller hotel like this. Even before checking in to the hotel, they send you a nice welcome email to wish you a pleasant stay, and remind you of all the extra amenities that you will be provided with the stay. I will definitely be staying in this hotel in any of my future stays with the hotel, and I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel if you're sensitive to noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christopher Z
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Christopher Z,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this incredible 5-star review of Ovolo! We feel your enthusiasm in every sentence and it truly melts our hearts, man. Thanks for sticking up for our LKF party central location, noticing all our lil amenity touches, and for the compliments to our service team. Consider yourself a member of Ovolo forever, invited back anytime. Please let me know if I can help with any intel or future booking.

Cheers,
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

First and foremost, if you have never been to Hong Kong understand that LKF or LAN Kwai Fong is an area with lots of clubs and night life.
I learned the hard way. I contacted the front desk at 2am regarding the loud music and was told that the higher floor rooms were already occupied. I was on the 8th floor. When spending close to $350 US dollars per night I do not expect to have the front desk provide me with ear plugs to sleep. I understand that the hotel is not able to control what goes on outside but then perhaps you as a business should look into contacting these clubs and resolving these noise issues or having better sound proofing on your building and windows.
I enjoyed the amenities in the room (complimentary mini bar, wifi, and Apple TV) but feel that I definitely paid for all that considering what I had to deal with. Even after discussing this with some other locals and visitors that I had met, their thoughts were that these rates were definitely on the pricy side. I would much rather pay the extra money next time in Hong Kong and stay at a true five star hotel.

Room Tip: Apparently the higher the better.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank In206
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear ln206,

Thank you for your review of Ovolo 2 Arbuthnot Road. You are absolutely right, we are just above LKF, HK party central, and sometimes this means the area gets a bit raucous over the weekend. Some choose us for this location specifically because it puts em close to the action but I can certainly appreciate how light sleepers may not feel so enthused.

ln206, I regret that this was the case for you. We appreciate your positive notes on the other elements of our hotel and because of this I fully recommend you sample our other hotels in more quiet locations the next time you are in Hong Kong.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I love this hotel! Love it love it! This hotel has got a personal touch...love the idea of everything's free in the room, including the mini bar!!! The additional touch of all the amenities in the room is beyond belief, they even have a printer in your room for you! And not forgetting the little pencil case that comes in handy when you are planning your itinerary. This hotel is walking distance to Lan Kwai Fong, a place where there are many of clubs / bars to choose from...I book directly with the hotel ( the best rate & package )...thumbs up!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Gohszeying,

Thank you for the terrific 5-star review. We are delighted to read how much you enjoyed the little personal touches and amenities. I think you are the first guest to ever point out the pencil cases too. Well done! Its awesome attentive guests like yourself that make our work at Ovolo worthwhile. We'd love to host you again and again. Please let me know if theres anything further I can do to assist.

S.W London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

Fabulous boutique hotel in the entertainment district of HK Island, a 10 minute walk from Central station MTR. The staff are friendly and approachable and the service is personal and efficient.
The stylish rooms are pretty spacious by HK standards, well appointed and include an nespresso machine with daily supplies, Ipod docking station, Apple TV and access to Ipad's , X-Box and Nintendo Wii. There is a well thought out work station area within the room. The hotel provides free wifi throughout the hotel and also access to an external wifi network.
There are some unique features including a free daily stocked mini bar (which includes superberries juice drinks, water and other soft drinks as well as mini bottles of gin, vodka, whiskey and baileys) and a one off goodies Loot Bag.
There isn't a hotel restaurant or bar but breakfast is included in the rate and you can either eat at Cafe O which is next door to the hotel, or you can leave your Cafe O breakfast order with reception the evening before and it will be delivered to your room at the time you've requested.
I will recommend this hotel to my clients (I have my own travel business) and will stay there again when I'm next in HK.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank theclareb
ovolo2home, Guest Relations Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear theclareb,

Thank you for the terrific 5-star review of Ovolo 2 Arbuthnot Road. From your text it sounds like you really enjoyed the length and breadth of our offering in Central HK. Our team would be absolutely delighted to host your clients based on your sterling recommendation. Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can assist with any more information or a future booking. Thanks again!

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

This is a really great hotel in a great location. Everything you would need or want on Hong Kong Island is within walking distance. The hotel itself is fairly quirky - I'm guessing it was Ana apartment or business building that has been converted. As a result the entrance is not your usual hotel lobby (just a lift and foyer really) but it's fine. The rooms are pretty spacious by Hong Kong standards and are really nicely appointed. All the staff were very, very helpful and really friendly.

Hong Kong accommodation can be expensive so by comparison, this little hotel was a real gem and a real find. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sbe123
Dear sbe123,

Thank you for sharing your Ovolo experience on tripadvisor. You are right we are a little quirky and am glad you appreciated that and our lil location in the heart of Central HK! Please let me know if I can assist with any enquiry or future booking. Would love to see you at an Ovolo again soon ;)