“Very Happy With This Boutique Hotel!”
Review of Ovolo Central

Ovolo Central
Ranked #19 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Very Happy With This Boutique Hotel!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I love a good boutique hotel, and was thrilled with my experience at the Ovolo right above Lan Kwai Fong. Fabulous location for exploration -- 2 minutes from SoHo and Mid-Levels elevators, Central MTR, close to Peak Tram Station, shopping, bars, restaurants. As for complaining reviews, you need to know where you are staying -- it is a party district and you will not be sleeping in or walking through a peaceful neighborhood. I'm an old fogey (sp?), had no problems with sleeping through what noise there was even on weekends. Hotel staff was incredibly solicitous, as I was in a long trip through Asia the on-site laundry was a great benefit, and they re-stock your minibar with drinks (and dark chocolate bars) for free every day! If you are prepared to climb a bazillion stairs every day (which you will need to do if staying anywhere in this area), I would highly recommend the Ovolo.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank mhknyc
Helen L, Hotel Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear mhknyc, Thank you so much for your review. I am so happy you were 'thrilled with your experience" at Ovolo. Yes. With the fabulous location comes with a few steps but next time we can suggest other ways to explore around the hotel. I am also glad you enjoyed the free minibar which is stocked daily and the self laundry facility. Please feel free to let me know if I may assist with any future reservations. We look forward to welcoming you back at Ovolo!

helenlee@ovologroup.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The hotel is well located with plenty of bars and restaurants in the area. Staff could not do enough for us throughout the stay. Even checking what time the first trains to the airport are without me asking them.
Rooms are decked out beautifully. Free minibar is something every other hotel should look in to - I'm sure I didnt end up costing the hotel more than I paid, but it just makes such a difference!! Nespresso machines, huge bed, plenty of towels... barely need to say more.
If you come to Hong Kong, this place is fantastic.

Room Tip: They're all fantastic
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Helen L, Hotel Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear BPCAusinLdn, Thank you for your 5-star review of Ovolo 2 Arbuthnot Road! We really appreciate your fantastic words about our staff, services and location. We couldn't have asked for a better guest! Please let us know the next time HK enters your travel plans so we can host you at Ovolo again.

Bremerhaven, Germany
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Everything was perfect! One of the best hotels I have stayed in. Room is good size for the city, bathroom is very nice, free mini bar is great, location is perfect for touring the city and finding a nice place for dinner. Easy walk to Central. There are so many small details that make this place great, the late night loot bag, snacks in the lobby, good breakfast next door, and great service.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better views away from construction
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ashbanana
Helen L, Hotel Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear ashbanana, Thank you for your 5 star review. And, thank you for pointing out all the special features and details we provide to our guests. We are so happy that everything was perfect! Please feel free to contact me directly in the future for assistance with bookings for yourself or your friends. We look forward to providng more perfect stays!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a hotel with a difference. We had no prior expectations as this was our first introduction to the Ovolo group. Check-in was painless and we were fortunate to get allocated rooms that were high up. That's where the magic started. Ovolo has thought of everything that you need before you've realised it. Loved the modern, fresh design, right on trend for Hong Kong. Ever since I shared a room with a Nespresso machine I have it on my covetable list. The rooms were spotless, more than comfortable and we found it exciting exploring all the goodies that were available to us. From a well stocked fridge with loads of cold waters, both still and sparkling - this is the biggest help when travelling, and free as well! The goodie bags were such a nice idea as well. We have never experienced such thoughtfulness in any hotel ever before. Absolutely loved the slippers - did as they said and took them home with me. The American toiletries in large sizes instead of those hateful miniatures were much appreciated. For business this is the perfect hotel - free wi-fi is a boon, doubly so when your 20 year old daughter is missing her friends back home. We could not entice her out of her room once we'd arrived to see some of the Hong Kong sights - but did manage to walk her down some very quaint streets close by to the hotel with lots of restaurants, bars and designer shops in malls to the Abercrombie and Fitch store. Because our stay in Hong Kong was nowhere near long enough we are keen to return and would not hesitate to stay in the same hotel. The desk in the room is all set up to do business - so sad we didn't stay longer and experience the Chinese New Year. The decorations were all so colourful and true to scale in the Year of the Horse Our only niggle was the breakfast arrangement. We did arrive 5 minutes before breakfast ended - in our opinion the breakfast offerings could be vastly improved. They were the other side of ordinary - very disappointing in fact. The fresh fruit and yoghurt was sad looking and the choice was limited. Remember that our benchmark for breakfast is the Vineyard Hotel and Spa in Newlands, Cape Town, South Africa - epic! Perhaps breakfast isn't a big deal in Hong Kong?

Room Tip: The higher up the better. Hong Kong is a noisy, pulsating city.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Helen L, Hotel Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Bongitole, Thank you for your terrific 5-star review of Ovolo. Our team are delighted to read how you noted and enjoyed all the little touches and freebies we put into our hotel. We appreciate all feedback on our services so thank you for your comment on breakfast.
It would be our great pleasure to welcome to you back at Ovolo so please contact me directly in the future for assistance with your booking.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Beautiful design elements, with lots of little conveniences. Like the in-room Nespresso machine, Apple TV, and salon-quality hair dryer. Having a completely free minibar and complimentary day & night snack bags was a nice touch too.

Location is excellent. It's walking distance from lots of bars & restaurants in the Lan Kwai Fong area, as well as the Queens Road shopping district. 10mins walk away from Central MTR station.

But what really makes this place shine are the staff! From the doormen to the people at reception, everyone went out of their way to make us feel welcome. We asked about 1 restaurant, and they told us about 2 more, just so we would have options. There's a DIY laundry area, but it was full the day I came down to do mine - so a staff member offered to put my laundry through the wash & dry cycle for me, free of charge. One day we came downstairs just as the breakfast buffet was ending. They took our breakfast order on the spot, and had it delivered to our room.

The staff are great under pressure too. On our first evening, we witnessed them deal with a very difficult customer who was verbally abusive, rude, and quite demeaning in her tone and choice of words. The staff remained calm, polite, and professional. This increased my respect for them tenfold.

If you're looking for a modern, well-designed hotel in a great location, with staff who really take care of you, this is a really good choice.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Helen L, Hotel Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Brendon_F, Thank you so much for your in depth 5 star review. Your review certainly put a big happy and shiny smile on our faces. It is great to know that you enjoyed the location of the hotel and all the convenient elements we have to offer. I sincerely thank you again and we hope to see you again in the near future.

All the best,
London
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I visit Hong Kong about three times a year and always need a central location to stay in while I work. Having stayed at the Ovolo on Hollywood Road, I chose the Ovolo on Arbuthnot Street. Got there and great check-in. Functional, clean apt with full functionality. I asked for a room high up in the building as I had heard about the noise from LKF but was not prepared for the fact I could still hear the booming music till 3am in the morning. Only other comment would be there is a good coffee shop adjacent to the premises so don't expect full F&B. But other that the noise, which is a big but, a decent place to stay in Central

Room Tip: Get as high up the building as possible and bring ear plugs!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Helen L, Hotel Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear Dominic M, Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review on tripadvisor. We are happy to read that you enjoyed our central location and all the functional features we have to offer. I am sorry that the noise was an issue. With the central location there are times when the noise inevitable. However we do try to communicate with our neighbors to keep it down. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist you with your future bookings. It would be our pleasure to host you again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We recently stayed at the Ovolo for part of our honeymoon and really enjoyed our stay. We were greeted with a bottle of Champagne from the staff as a congratulations which was a really nice touch. The location of the hotel is great for bars and restaurants, so many to choose from. The super shiny room was terrific and the free minibar was such a nice touch. The staff are all incredibly helpful whenever you ask something. Only slight negative is the lack of space in the cafe for breakfast each morning, I'd recommend having it delivered to your room instead. Overall a fantastic place to stay in the heart of the action on Hong Kong island.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Helen L, Hotel Manager at Ovolo Central, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Tom M,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you again for having Ovolo as part of your honeymoon. Your comment regarding the space is well noted. We hope to see you back in Hong Kong in the near future and if there is anything I can assist you with, please feel free to contact me directly at helenlee@ovologroup.com.

All the Best,