“Squalor: Housing for Poor Migrant Workers the Authentic Experience”
Review of Embassy Hotel

Embassy Hotel
Ranked #127 of 157 Speciality Lodging in Hong Kong
Vancouver
“Squalor: Housing for Poor Migrant Workers the Authentic Experience”
Reviewed 10 August 2011

My husband and I booked this hotel online after reading some good reviews on Trip Advisor. There are a few people who gave this place great reviews. I can say from first hand experience that I don't believe that the reviews are authentic.

We were first greeted outside by hawkers trying to sell us expensive suits, to which we declined. We arrived late in the afternoon to find the door locked. While we waited we walked up and down the hallway to find prison like doors to many small rooms and Diana's S and M bondage business just down the hall.

After about 15 minutes an elderly lady who spoke 0 English greeted us. Well, 0 English equates to "Hello" and "Sorry-ya." We paid for two nights (approximately 90 US dollars) and checked into the "Deluxe German Suite." There was nothing 'deluxe' about this room. The door opened to approximately a foot of space to the double bed. The room was the bed. There wasn't any room to open our bags except on the bed. The rooms dimensions are approximately 5 feet by 7 feet. We had to crawl over each other to get in and out of the bed. The walls of the room were dirty and very scuffed up. The bedding looks worn and old and didn't have the smell of being laundered. The bathroom is incredibly small. I've lived in Asia for over 5 years and have a lot of experience with 'small' rooms, well this is the smallest I've ever seen. Think RV camper small. Granted the tiles, toilet and sink were new. I could hardly brush my teeth without spitting on my feet as the sink is the smallest I've ever seen (maybe 5 inches by 6). The walls are decorated with ratty printouts and laminated printouts of German images. I took a picture of the room. I put my back to the door and lifted the camera over my head angling it down. Check it out for a sense of hot tiny the room is!

In the evening I wanted to use the computer to print the receipt for a hotel we booked for the next day. The old man at the desk spoke no English. Luckily there was a Chinese lady checking in at the time and translated for me. He thought about it for 2 long minutes and then said I could. I sat down at the computer and it didn't work. I noticed that the hotel had some adapters so I asked to borrow one. When I took it to the room it fell in half after I plugged it into the wall. I pulled it out carefully (luckily not electrocuting myself) and brought it to the old man and asked for another one (using charades).

We tried to find alternate accommodation right away, but being so last minute we couldn't find anything suitable for that night. It was an incredible uncomfortable night. In the morning we walked away, without showering. I tried to ask for a refund (using charades: remember no English), but the lady declined.

The price we paid for this awful place was too much. At first we thought, what a great deal and thought it was of regular hostel or low-class motel quality. If I knew the condition of this place I wouldn't have paid more than 15 dollars a night.

As a hotel-hostel that advertises itself as 'Embassy' with a big USA flag and multiple other flags on the outside of the building, one would assume that there would be some English spoken as a place that caters to international travels. Unfortuanately this is not the case, despite what I've read on Trip Advisor.

I will be making more official complaints regarding this business for false advertising. Please think very carefully before staying here. I'm sure there must be other budget accommodation with better service, bigger and cleaner rooms.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Chokopie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I truely enjoyed my stay at Embassy's, so much so that when I returned to HongKong from China I chose Embassy's again.

The rooms are very clean, and the first impression I got was "wow is this what I paid for!!", during my first stay (3 days), I stayed in a single room, the toilet & shower were spotless, the loo and shower were in the room, small but clean and new, Telly and internet are all inclusive.

They were very helpful, help me out with visa enquiries and money exchanging problems, basically the location of the hotel is spot on, it is bang on in the town centre, you find what you need within 100 yards, buses, money exchanger, food (regardless how picky you are! Food is well good, any /most of them is better than all take away we have in England), shopping mall ( not that I like ) or tube station ( mtr/mrt stations), and if you have jet lack like I did, waking up in middle of night, you can still find many food places or if you cannot be bother, 7 eleven is in every street! Gave location a 4 star.

All in all, definitely stay there, I'm so glad I did =)

Room Tip: all room are same, clean
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Stayed there for 2 nights. Great location with subway entrance almost in front of building. The hotel has only about 10 rooms, 5 on different floor in a separate building. The "lobby" is basically a small desk in the front. The old lady who check you in is the person who cleans the room as well. So do not expect any great service from her. One of the room "bali" (the owner has this grandiose idea of naming each room as a resort place, plus he also put his enlarged portrait in the front entrance and titled himself as the CEO of a resort group!) which I occupies on the first night is only measure about 5 ft wide and 10 ft in length. The door opened and will hit the bed. The air conditioner in that room does not work and it will just blow air without any cooling. However, when complained to the "manager" (the old lady from above), she insists that the AC is working. The linen also seemed to be unchanged from previous occupant. Regardless, I insisted on room changed the next day and was given slightly larger room where the AC actually work. Both rooms title floors are dirty with dust, hair and can be easily clean but are not. The bathroom are relatively clean and that is because it is a combo of shower and toilet all in the same area, so it is easy to use water to clean it. But be aware that once you take a shower, the floor is wet and using sink/toilet will get your feet wet (this type of arrangement is quite common in lots of residential place in Hong Kong and Asia, so it is not unique to this hotel). I have the luggage stored at the lobby (essentially the hallway leading to other rooms) for the afternoon and the "manager" made you feel like you are giving her major work and inconvenience. The internet at the "hotel" does not work well, most likely because of bad router and connection. It has signs everywhere that say that you do not need a password, yet the connection keeps requesting for one. I was able to connect to the internet twice and only for a short period. Overall, for the price per night, you may be able to find something better.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Notako

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Pasig, Philippines
Reviewed 8 March 2011

it's pretty cheap and clean, although they don't clean the rooms everyday. tiny rooms, even for hk standards.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
USA
Reviewed 31 December 2010

This is not first time to choose Embassy Hotel to stay as the property set up in a great location(walking distance to MTR) and the price is quite reasonable with friendly staff. This time, I stay in their newly opened brand, just 1 minute walking from their main building reception. The rooms are clean and cozy. The rooms are decorated with different concept.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I stayed in this hotel a few days ago this November with my wife and my little daughter. We found the hotel through internet search. We paid the price of a twin room for two, staying 3 persons without extra charge. (It was really a good deal for a twin room at 350 HKD during the high season) The hostel was located in the shopping area of Jordan (just few minutes walk to Tsim Sha Tsiu ) The room is fantisticly clean and cozy. The nice old lady with a smiling face provides excellent housekeeping service to us during our stay. She speaks not very fluent English. But we communicated with her effectively by a mix of simple English and body. The room size is relatively small as compared to regular hotels in Hong Kong. However, the faclities and services are fine. Wifi , TV, Air-conditioning, hot-water shower, clean towel and slippers are all provided for free. It is definitely a good value for .

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank vannickcell
Germany
Reviewed 15 November 2010

It was the smallest room I ever had, two beds, but including Toilette/shower. The Beds were hard, but for just 4 days – OK. Don’t take that room if you are two people with Luggage, there is NO Way of sleeping there with your Luggage in your room! It’s a bit Noisy directly at Nathan road, but that’s the big advantage of this Hotel. 30sec. to Jordan MTR. 5 Min. to Temple street Market. Considering the low price I do recommend, but be aware of the room sizes !
Cleanness was acceptable considering the price. No Bugs or Ants.
There is nearly no English spoken there, but somehow we got along.
But I found it disgusting that in the Office they have a Nazi Flag and a Picture of Hitler. it should be known even in China that Hitler was a cruel mass murder.
If you are looking for a cheap Bed at Nathan rd, and dont care about the Hitler picture in the office, thats the place. I wont go there anymore, as I do not want to support such people.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo