“Spectacular views and typical high standard”

NOBU (InterContinental Hong Kong)
Ranked #35 of 8,564 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Japanese, International
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
Description: NOBU, the world's most acclaimed Japanese restaurant, is renowned for its innovative new-style Japanese cuisine by world famous chef Nobu Matsuhisa. One of the world’s “Hot Tables” by Conde Nast Traveler USA on its prestigious “Hot List”. NOBU InterContinental Hong Kong, showcases Nobu’s signature dishes, as well as new creations using local ingredients. NOBU InterContinental Hong Kong was designed by the Rockwell Group, who created the original NOBU in New York in 1994 and has designed many of the NOBU restaurants internationally. With panoramic views overlooking Victoria Harbour and Hong Kong Island, NOBU InterContinental Hong Kong features a stunning yet intimate dining room inclusive of a sushi bar. Both the bar lounge and exclusive private dining room (for up to 14 guests) also have magnificent views of Victoria Harbour and Hong Kong Island. The design of NOBU InterContinental Hong Kong is inspired by Chef Nobu Matsuhisa's innovative cooking and the imagery of the Japanese countryside where he grew up. Traditional and modern Japanese elements, combined with the influence of water inspired by the adjacent Victoria Harbour, culminate in this intimate, yet dynamic dining experience. Food and architecture evolve into waves of movement and serenity. Key design elements within the restaurant include a unique undulating sea urchin ceiling and custom-made bamboo embedded terrazzo. At the bar, a cascade of black riverstones frames glistening imagery of Japanese cherry blossoms, a signature feature of the Nobu experience. Open daily for lunch and dinner; serves Afternoon Tea every Saturday and Sunday from 2:30-5pm.
london
“Spectacular views and typical high standard”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Amazing harbour views and great food make this a must in hong kong.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
“Simply Divine”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

Amazing food with a great wine list to match. worth every cent.

Visited April 2012
Sydney
“Excellent food, great views”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Ate here with friends this week and really enjoyed the fusion style food. Very unusual flavours, not necessarily that expensive if you choose carefully. Fantastic views of Hong Kong harbour - try to get a seat near the window and book ahead if possible. At 11.00pm on a Thursday evening it was packed.

Sydney, Australia
“What an amazing view!”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My wife & I have a tradition of visiting Nobu in every city that we travel to. Hong Kong by far had the best view of any Nobu restaurants we have visited.

The atmosphere was amazing and we had a really enjoyable evening.

The food quality and service was perfect as always!

• Visited March 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Humiliated by Waitstaff over tip!”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I hadn’t eaten at this Nobu in over three years. It used to be my absolute favourite and I have eaten at most of them. The food was still very good. The atmosphere is great because of the panoramic view of Hong Kong Island.
The service was good until the check came. Let me preface by saying that I am an American who lives in the UK. I tip 20% at home in the UK when most people tip 10-12% but I don’t tip in a culture that doesn’t encourage tips. I had read guidebooks about Hong Kong and have been going there for many years. Many restaurants do not even leave you space to add a tip. All of them charge a minimum 10% service charge which does not seem to be discretionary. I have always led to believe that was tipping just a small amount was appropriate in Hong Kong. At Nobu I was entertaining a prominent Hong Kong barrister. I asked her about the tipping policy when the bill arrived because there was a place for the tip on the credit card receipt. A 10% service charge had already been added. She told me to leave a small token which I did.
I was then berated by the waiter in front of my guest for not leaving a proper tip. He said that the staff did not receive the service charge and I was expected to supplement what the wait staff was paid. I asked him to give me some idea of what he expected as my dinner guest had told me it was unnecessary to tip. I asked for an amount or percentage. The waiter would not offer an amount or percentage saying it was up to me. I didn’t increase the tip and went to speak with the maître d’ who was no help either. I felt embarrassed but also very confused.
When I did more research, calling other hotels and restaurants as well as looking for help through online guides, I found that often Americans are expected to leave tips regardless of the local custom in Hong Kong. I wasn’t acting as was expected and it seems that the waiter thought he could embarrassment me into leaving what he deemed as an appropriate tip. He did make me feeling badly but without the desired result.
I will not return to this Nobu because of how I was treated. There are other excellent sushi restaurants in Hong Kong. Hong Kong is a foodie’s paradise. The choices are boundless. I guess that Nobu can afford to lose my business. I don’t think my guest will be recommending the restaurant any time too soon either.

6 Thank RoyandRobinUK