“Exceptional staff”

Ranked #12 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Cave Creek, Arizona
“Exceptional staff”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We spent 4 nights in Hong Kong to end a month-long trip to mainland China, Thailand, and Hong Kong. This was our first trip to Asia, after seeing a lot of South America, North America, Australia and Europe. We chose the W mainly because it was a Starwood property in a terrific location for access to the public transit system. We did not anticipate or expect the outstanding hospitality and customer service we experienced there. Before we arrived, we received an email from Sammy asking if we needed anything special. I inquired about transport from the airport, and decided to take a cab. When we got to the airport, we were unsure of how to get the cab. We saw the W desk, where Ricky greeted us and made sure that 4 seniors with a lot of luggage could get into a cab (with our luggage bungeed into the trunk) and head for the W on Kowloon. He escorted us from his kiosk to the transportation to make sure we were comfortably on our way. His friendly attitude continued when we got to the hotel, where we were immediately greeted by the concierge staff, including lovely Priya who offered her services for whatever and whenever we needed. The rest of the staff, including waiters, bell people, concierge and management, were absolutely outstanding. The room was what we expected for a W hotel--kind of edgy and very contemporary. After sleeping on hard mainland Chinese beds, the bed felt so soft and welcome! We had a magnificent view of the harbor, blocked when necessary by the mechanized drapes and blinds. The amenities, including the signature W scent, were wonderful. We enjoyed the ease of access to the high-end shopping mall and the public metro station on the lower floors of the building. I used the business center, where the staff was also helpful. We went to the bar (lovely) and the Kitchen restaurant (delicious but pricey). Overall, I was left with the impression that this was the best hotel hospitality I have ever experienced. I would highly recommend the W Hong Kong.

Room Tip: The harbor view room was beautiful.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Hello MaralynB, welcome to Asia and thanks so much for taking the time to write this review! It’s a huge pleasure to know that the hospitality we provided exceed your expectations. I’m very proud to know how my amazing colleagues Sammy, Ricky and Priya impressed you! They will definitely hear your kind words via me and will receive more of them from me. Thank you once again for your compliments! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I just got back from a week long business trip to HK and stayed at the W Kowloon. This is such a great hotel, and soooo convenient. Our office is in the ICC so if you wanted to you would never have to leave the complex. You can take the train from the airport to the mall, and then walk to all of the great restaurants, amazing stores... Even a terrific little grocery store and ice skating rink, all within the same complex. This would be wonderful in the hot summer months or the monsoons to since you would never have to go outside if you didn't want to. (Although who could resist walking around Central Hong Kong). The service at the hotel is wonderful. They are extremely attentive and it is impeccably maintained; everything gleams in this modern hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Hello cindywoohoo, thank you for your wonderful comments! I’m particularly happy to know you felt the service we provided was attentive Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This has to be my 3rd or 4th stay at the W Hong Kong. Each stay has surpassed the last in terms of customer service with the "Wow" factor. This stay happened to be for our first wedding anniversary. The management trainee, Priya, went over and above to cater to our every inquiry. She worked with the the concierge to map out all our excursions (nail shop, Indian restaurant, Dragon I club, etc.), provided addresses in the local language and escorted us to the Taxi to see us off. She even gave us her cellular number to contact her if we had any further questions. Ofcourse we felt like true VIPs at the W! When we returned from our excursions, she surprised us with complimentary champagne and cupcakes with a handwritten note to commerate our anniversary! I can't describe our level of surprise other than to say, "WOW!"

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a great view of the water.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WoodLuvCo
Hello WoodLuvCo, thanks so much for your review and happy anniversary! I’m particularly thrilled to know how Priya went above and beyond to make your stay truly “WOW”! Thanks again. We will share your feedback with the entire team and look forward to seeing you again! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Ontario
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Last weekend of 11/2-11/3 i arrived and checked in the front desk with my U.S passport and had no issue getting my room. However, that night i had a meeting with some customers and since it had gotten late, one of my customers decided to stay at the hotel i was staying in. My wife booked his room and received the confirmation. She put the confirmation under my accoung and added my friend's name for check in, who is from China, and when he showed them his Chinese passport, the front desk staff's mood completely changed. They kept on saying they couldnt find the reservation with the confirmation we were giving them and that we had to have the US office contact them to confirm this reservation (12-15 Hour difference US & Hong kong). I am A vip member of the hotel. I found it terribly preposterous ! When my wife finally had the US office notify the Hong Kong office of the confirmation and that there was really a confirmation on file for my business friend, they finally allowed him to check in. I specifically had a reserved a non-smoking room for him, however, they gave him a smoking room and told him, TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT. Horrible and very embarrassing on my behalf with my Business friend.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Jady C
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Hello Jady C, I am very sorry for your experience with us. For safety reason, we do need to make sure the reservation is correctly made and confirmed to protect all our guests, including you. But I’m very disappointed to hear of the attitude of our hotel team member, that’s certainly unacceptable. Rest assured this is not our usual service standard. I would greatly appreciate if you could please let me know about your incident in detail by dropping me an email to w.hk@whotels.com to see how I can make it up for you. Yours sincerely, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Our stay at the W Hong Kong was my first ever at a W although I have stayed at many other Starwood properties. I had high expectations of the famous brand. We travelled to Hong Kong for just two days after visiting Singapore where my sister attended a conference.

Prior to our arrival in Hong Kong, we had received an email confirmation from the hotel with an offer to send a car to pick us up at the airport. This was a very welcome service. We were met at the gate by a friendly driver who wheeled our luggage promptly through the airport out to a waiting car and whisked us away to the hotel. We were greeted by more friendly staff in the lobby on the sixth floor of the approximately five year old hotel in a newly developed area in Kowloon.They also escorted us up to the room and explained all the features. The room on the 32 floor had a spectacular view of the outer Harbour and was very modern and nicely laid out. It is obvious how much thought has gone into the layout, amenities and functionality of the room. We particularly liked the bathroom layout, with its Bliss spa products and "open concept " to the room which could be closed off for privacy when needed.

Just visited the roof top pool briefly but it was beautiful with a spectacular view of the city. Didn't see any shade which would have been a problem if we had wished to sit up there and read after swimming or hot tubbing as it was very hot and sunny. Ditto for the poolside bar.

We went to the lobby bar for drinks and some lunch after settling into our room.It was a rather trendy space but with not too much comfortable seating. As we entered, we were informed that the nicest, most comfortable seating arrangements were all reserved as it was Sunday brunch and tea time. We were ushered to a smallish table off to the side against the wall for our lunch,meanwhile observing some of the unclaimed, "reserved"comfortable seating awaiting their guests. This was after we had visited the dining room as the other option, to be advised it was very busy as well due to it being a Sunday. We thought that perhaps hotel guests should have had some more priority.

The rest of our stay went smoothly. Visited the bar once more for drinks and were allowed to sit in the comfortable seats! Thought the lobby was also a bit small for such a big hotel, but it seems to be the style of a W,to encourage mixing and mingling. The hotel was attached to a huge mall with all the global high end brands . It is located in area which is just being developed, so is a bit detached from the rest of Kowloon at present, but likely won't be in a year or so. Took a taxi to the ferry terminal to make the charming ten minute trip across the harbour to Hong Kong, which is not to be missed. However, on our return from the ferry, decided to walk back to our hotel. Although only about a twenty minute walk away, was a bit problematic as we had to make twists and turns through a large area under construction and it was hard finding the front door of the hotel. Had to back track through the adjoining mall.

Overall a pleasant stay with friendly staff and a very nice hotel room. Not sure the W brand is my style although I would likely try it again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank patterl
Hello Patterl, thank you for your comprehensive review. Great to hear that you enjoyed the stay on the whole! Regarding the seating arrangement at WOOBAR, as Sunday is really a busy day for us and it is hard to predict the reservation response, and thus the unclaimed seats, but please rest assured we put hotel guests as our priority. Thanks once again for your suggestions and observations. Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I have stayed at the W Hong Kong a half dozen times and it never fails to impress. One of the coolest hotels I have ever stayed in and I have done many. The infinity pool on the 76th floor is impressive but so is every other part of the hotel. Never stayed at a hotel that managed to hide a 50" TV in plain site. The rooms are amazing and the buffet is one of the best I have done. The fact that you can walk from hotel to the Airport Express and checkin your bags and get your boarding pass is super cool. I would highly recommend this hotel for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Hello Oisin L, thanks so much for you review! It’s very uplifting to know you enjoyed all areas of our hotel. Hope to see you again soon! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

This is probably one of the best hotels I've stayed at and I am an SPG Lifetime Platinum Member. I was upgraded to a suit and it was simply divine. The layout was perfect and efficient. The decor was modern yet functional. The room had a great view of the harbor and most importantly, comfortable. The hotel is also conveniently located in the same annex as the Airport Express Kowloon Station and superb shopping. I am buying a condo in Shanghai and am going to model it right off this suit, I hope the W won't mind.

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Hello Frank d, thank you so much for your positive review! It’s our pleasure to be one of your best hotel experiences, we’re thrilled you enjoyed your stay! and would be flattered if you model your condo based on our design. It will be a great honor! Hope to see you again! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager