“Exceptional property, exceptional staff”
Review of W Hong Kong

W Hong Kong
Ranked #8 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Born on the other side of the world, it's a bit bizarre just how much the W HK feels like home to me.

I've stayed here something like 100+ nights. Everytime is better.

Indeed there are the constants: The rooms rock, the parties and DJs never disappoint, the pool feels like Alice in Wonderland hooked up with CeeLo and Keith Richards (the cooler 80s version) and the love child went on to design swimming pools.

What gets better, always, is the service. The whole staff, from the awesome guys checking bags on the 1st floor, to the always friendly people at the check-in counter, to girl who gives the morning wake-up call (was she recruited just because her voice is spectacular?) - all take a huge effort to know me better and better.

Also, there is the great Sammy Yick (SPG team) whose face should be on PPT slides for every SPG training event worldwide with the caption, "Sammy Yick, Greatest SPG Employee Ever." Sammy seems to know more about me that I do -- what kind of rooms I prefer, food I enjoy (junk) and should be eating (vegetables), music I like, etc, etc. Every time I check into the W, she prepares a room with everything that I possibly need - without asking. She connects me with the rest of the staff, and treats my guests and I with an amazing amount of respect and friendliness. Sammy and her team are the main reason why I come back again and again to this hotel. SPG bosses: Take note of whatever she is getting paid and increase the amount 10x. Seriously, she's really an asset to your hotel - never let her go.

Thanks W friends for a great stay. See you next time -->

Max

Room Tip: Don't be a jerk to the staff!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Hello MAX_M, welcome back and thanks so much for your fantastic review! Sammy really does make a huge difference to many guests stays, as do many of her colleagues in our Welcome team. Thanks again for your kind note and see you next time! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (4,120)

Reviewed 20 April 2014

It well-situated just above the Kowloon MTR station with connection to ELEMENTS mall, gives you a great service environment which is not to be affected by weather. The location is already an advantage of W HONG KONG.

For staying, the hotel had accommodated my request, assigned my room at upper floor. Room was clean, W signature bed was absolutely comfortable.

Hotel facilities are in good condition; pool, changing room and jaccuzzi were attached with stunning view, it was WOW!

But I think the hotel could do a little more to elevate guest's staying experience, which is the internet. To provide a more enjoyable experience, complimentary in-room internet access is necessary nowadays. And I really hope it could be implemented in the near future.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Hello Felix_MOK, thanks so much for all your great comments. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay in general. I have taken all your feedback on board and will be doing what I can. Thanks again for sharing with us and I hope we can see you again soon! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The hotel is convenient for the Airport Express, the main reason for my frequent stays is early morning departures or late arrivals on Delta, or if going to Central but not so much if your desired stomping ground is in the TST area. Exceptional staff is what sets this hotel apart from any other in the SPG chain and why it is my favorite hotel. Unfortunately, I don't often get to partake of the exceptional breakfast buffet but it is certainly one hotel meal I look forward to. Kudos to an exceptional team and if you choose this hotel you will be happy you did!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello prcmeiguoren, thanks for your review! I’m delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Do try our breakfast buffet on your next visit – it doesn’t disappoint! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Aamazing hotel, we visit here at least once a month and never disappointed. my son's 4th birthday this time and my anniversary and the team went out of the way to help make this a special time. Special cake for the kids - Romantic touches for my wife and i. Every team member from the bell desk to the exec desk is so friendly and helpful and never misses a chance to say hello and check in on how things are going. Food is always the best at the Kitchen, my kids are in heaven with all the choices.

thanks again team - we will be back next month

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Hello Adam M, thank you so much for all your support! And a happy belated birthday to your dear son and happy anniversary! It’s very uplifting to hear what a great experience my team created for you. I’ll definitely let them know. See you next month! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager

Reviewed 16 April 2014

The W is still as good as ever. Sadly I only had two nights this time.

The service is flawless - from the check-in to the concierge to the people working breakfast at Kitchen.

The room was perfect. I had a Cool Corner room - it was big, comfortable, and all the details are well planned. Also - the bathroom was amazing, including the rainfall shower.

The pool deck and staff are also fantastic.

Am looking forward to returning for a longer time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Hello NeilS, it’s wonderful to know your stays with us are great so far! We hope to welcome you back again soon, hopefully for a longer time! Thanks for your review! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We booked the tier 1 (most basic twin room) and received an upgrade to a tier 3 room overlooking the harbour. A nice touch.
But no free wifi in the rooms and only 1-hour free wifi in the public spaces? Maybe for a hostel or 3-star hotel that would be expected but for this price bracket and brand, it was a shock. We could have purchased a data pack for approx $US10 per day but frankly, it's insulting to need to.

Generally the layout of the hotel, lobby and lifts is confusing and inconvenient. Although the hotel entrance is part of the Elements Mall and adjoins the Kowloon MTR station, it takes 30+min to travel to Central by MTR.

The gym is medium sized. Ins morning there were 6 ppl in there and it felt very cramped. I mentioned to the gym attendant that all the fit balls req'd air. The following morning they were still flat.

The rooms are very dark. I know this is the W style but when you can't identify your belongings in your suitcase, it's too dark. All the doors are very heavy. I'm a fit woman in my early 40s and even I found sliding the bathroom door a chore. I would not recommend this hotel for more elderly people considering the overall darkness and weight of all the doors.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank melbournetraveller20
PeterHildebrand, General Manager at W Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Hello melbournetraveller20. I was very sorry to read of your unpleasant experience at our hotel. We very much appreciate the constructive feedback you have provided on the shortcomings in service and hardware at the hotel and we will address those we are able to immediately. My apologies for your disappointment and thanks again for taking the time to share. Yours sincerely, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Mr. Ma as our personal driver for sightseeing. At that time, my mother was looking for a particular brand of cooking sauce, but to no avail. When I met Mr. Ma again when I stayed at W hotel from 7th - 9th April 2014, the next day ie the night before I checked out, he passed me 2 bottles of the sauce that my mum was looking for! I was very pleasantly surprised that he actually remembered what my mother was looking for and he bought the sauces out of his own pocket. Mr. Ma who has demonstrated excellent customer service and went the extra mile, is definitely a talent whom W Hotel can be proud of. Thank you Ah Wo!

Room Tip: Rooms near the lift for easy access.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Hello Maxineteo, thank you so much for such a great review! Our passionate Mr. Ma has obviously gone the extra step for your mother and this is the kind of behavior we spend a lot of time encouraging in our teams here. Fabulous to get this kind of feedback and he will certainly be receiving recognition for this. Indeed, we are very proud of him. Thanks again for sharing with us and we hope to see you back again soon! Best wishes, Peter Hildebrand, General Manager