“Perfect combination of form and function”
Review of W Hong Kong

W Hong Kong
Ranked #9 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 8 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at the W on our recent trip in Hong Kong. It was undoubtedly the edgiest and most stylish hotel we've ever stayed in. Careful attention was paid to every detail of this hotel, both aesthetic and service wise. The hotel even had a signature smell!

Our room was a Wonderful City View Room and boy was it wonderful! It was spacious, clean and well-appointed. We loved all the features but I especially loved these:

- the KEF 5.1 Surround Sound Audio/Visual System: this blew me away
- the signature W Bed with 400-thread-count linens: really super comfy
- the rainforest shower
- the view!
- the automatic sheer window curtain and blind

Even if it took us a while to get a handle over all the controls, we still loved everything. I was also thrilled to find the Bliss toiletries in the bathroom! These were replenished daily.

We loved and appreciated the turn down service too. Aside from fixing our room, they always left us with two pieces of W dark chocolate.

The W is very well-located for sightseeing in Hong Kong. You can access it via the very posh Elements mall, which had an exit from the Kowloon MTR station. Be prepared for some walking though. Then if you want to go to Tsim Sha Tsui to take the Star Ferry to Hong Kong Island, you can ride the free shuttle service from the hotel. You can get maps of Hong Kong as well as a visitors' kit from the shuttle, which are very handy for touring the city.

The only dining option we tried at the W was the breakfast buffet at Kitchen. The presentation was awesome but we've tasted better. The service was very efficient though and I was able to get a free copy of Newsweek.

We checked out the pool too. It was located on the 76th floor and affords really cool views. Both the infinity pool and Jacuzzi were inviting (I bet especially at night when the colorful lights are on) but not inviting enough for me at the temperature we had when we went there. It was cold!

Overall it was a very cool experience and we'd definitely go back when we return to Hong Kong.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank katzee_m

Reviewed 6 May 2009

We just had a fantastic stay at the W Hotel in Hong Kong. I did have to overcome some slight reservations about being on the Kowloon side rather than on the 'Island' but in actual fact the hotel more than made up for the location, I discovered the delights of the Harbour Shopping centre and getting onto the Island was a lot easier that I had anticipated.

As for the hotel itself, the interior is very trendy and beautifully designed with great attention to detail. The W branding is expertly woven through everything from the 'Whatever' Concierge service to the many different services presented in the room. The room itself was quite spacious for Hong Kong (we were in a suite) and the bathroom was stunning. Plus, the Bliss Toiletries were in large bottles and really nice.

The room had three flat screen TV's including one in the bathroom and was incredibly clean. You were even invited to use the travel plug from the mini bar rather than 'buy-it' which I thought was a really nice touch.

Breakfast was in a large cavernous kitchen with a massive selection of different foods, while the dining room was overlooking the busy Typhoon Shelter.

For me the best bit of the hotel however was the Swimming pool. Situated on the 76th floor and overlooking the harbor I don't think I've ever swum with such great views. The only slight down-side was the wind, which did make swimming a little like something out of a Perfect Storm, but the attendant did tell us that its not normally like that.

All in all one of the best hotels I've stayed in, in Hong Kong for a very long time and one that I can heartily recommend.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brit-abroad-in-Asia
Reviewed 27 April 2009

Well, Room i have is Fantastic suite and then at 2 am move to Marvelous suite. However both room are nice that the only thing i am choose to stay here. Room clean and All staff at front door are super nice and helpful. Welcome desk (Front staff) Are nice but not all. Ethan and another lady can't remember really nice.

Below is Details in each thing that i try.

Phone:
Don't expect to have any conference call or anything related to. I missed few phone calls that they try to reach from Europe. Operator not do their job well, it take 20 mins at least to get to my room. And i did try to call Whatever Whenever (operator) And also the same, no one response for almost half an hour. So my meeting on the phone can't be done here.
In case if someone try to attack me in room or else that could happen. You can't count on this Whatever Whenever !

Room:
Room are clean, Turn down service is very low performance. Room not nice at evening turn down. Most of thing are not clean and full garbage still in the bin. (if you wish to let them empty)

Bellman:
Very Nice!!

Front Desk:
Most of them are great except the one that checking me in. It seem to be he suffer a lots to helping guest to do most of thing. Service should come from attitude not from the bible.

Restaurant:
Most of them are really nice, service also excellent.

Limo:
Great!

Entertainment:
Bar: Great DJ. Nice staff and great service. Drink also super creative.
In room entertainment:
Five stars!!

Few staff such as Welcome guest mgr. Really nice and make my stay better.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank josephberlin
Reviewed 24 April 2009

We stayed there for 7 nights. The room was 2801: a suit with a king bed (very confortable), a living room area with plenty of room (we entertained a total of 8 people at least three times), a tropical rain shower that hit you very hard (a TV in the shower if you can believe it!). We had breakfast every morning at The Kitchen (buffet). Excellent coffee! We also visited the spa (72nd floor) at least three times. I got a full body massage (the best ever). The hotel is next to Elements mall so you have easy access to shopping. There is never a shortage of taxis in front of the hotel if you need a fast ride to Hong Kong since the hotel is in Kowloon.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Huasteco
Reviewed 5 April 2009

I stayed in the W for 4 nights recently whilst in HK for the 7's. I agree with other reviewers that the hotel could not be easier to get to from HKG with a short hop on the airport express and then a well signposted stroll through the Elements shopping mall.

In general I liked the modern design, swish rooms and public areas. Some of the floor surfaces and wallpapers are however very reflective and I can imagine a few migraines being induced on sunnier days. If you resort to wearing sunglasses your likely to bump into things as the corridor and lift lighting is set very low.

The rooms are an ok size, it is HK after all. Most seem to have some kind of restricted views across the harbour to HK island. Nothing stands still in HK for very long and an enormous skyscraper is currently nearing completion and rather spoiled the views from my very nice corner room.

I'm used to HK prices. My main gripe with this hotel is that the bar and restaurant pricing verges on the ridiculous. Nearly £10 for G&T, 20 HKD... Surely in light of evident low occupation rates, world recession etc etc, the management will have the common sense to moderate their pricing. Otherwise the place will be a nice wee one night special treat sort of place rather then fulfilling its potential as a longer duration stopover location.

I wouldn't rate the staff as overly helpful or interested, not at the prices charged. I had to wait two and a half hours for my room to be available, from 1 pm. Not too early a check in methinks. As a wee comfort, they gave me a voucher for one coffee, which usually costs £6 I think. Their generosity knows no bounds.

Nice pool area on 76 floor although when I was there it was so windy up there it was unusable if not dangerous on the slippy, windswept surfaces.

The W is I think a victory of style over substance. I can see the younger tubes and donks of HK thinking, for a wee while at least, that this place is the place to be seen in. For me, the next time I want a nice break in HK it will be back to Shangri La Island.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank ellysian
Reviewed 25 March 2009

I stayed at the W Hong Kong beginning of March for 6 nights and I can say WoW. The nicest and most trendy hotel, I ever stayed in. Everything is so hip and fashion, the amazing swimming pool on the 76th floor, the elevators, the very good breakfast buffet in the restaurant (a bit pricy but good quality), the lobby, WoW. Otherwise, the hotel is connected with the nice shopping mall 'Elements' which is connected with the subway + train to the airport, very convenient. The little problem is that the hotel is in Kowloon a bit far from everything. Otherwise, WoW ! I suggest this hotel for people who love trendy and design hotels.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank JulienF
Reviewed 23 March 2009

We stayed here on our way to Vietnam. A perfect hotel for airport access. We had a corner room with a great view. Loved the bathroom and the electronic blinds in the bedroom. Great bed. Great bedding. We just felt pampered. W hotels seem to know how to provide super cool hotels that are also super luxurious. Everything was of the best quality . All the staff were wonderful and could not have been any more helpful.
On our way home we had half a day before our connecting flight and spent it at the spa. It was the perfect place to start and finish our holiday!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple