“Tiny but Clean, Friendly, and Centrally Located”
Review of Ovolo Noho

Ovolo Noho
Ranked #31 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I picked this hotel on my trip to Hong Kong based on other people's reviews and I was not disappointed. I stayed here six nights. I knew by other reviews that the rooms were going to be small. Even so, they were smaller than I expected. But it was all I needed. The room and bathroom were very clean. The loot bag filled with candy and cookies adds a nice touch when you arrive. The free mini-bar with 2 beers, 2 Cokes, 2 fruit juices, 4 small bottles of water were a great selling point. And they refill daily what you drink the day before. You also had a hot pot to make tea or coffee in your room. The complementary shampoo, conditioner, body cream, all these little touches make this hotel a great place to stay. Especially the complementary toothbrush and toothpaste since I forgot to pack mine for the trip. I also liked that they have slippers for you to use so you don't have to step on the cold floor. Hot water is not a problem. The shower worked great. AC also worked just fine and it was quiet enough not to be bothersome at night. TV had good reception and even the remote looked clean! The room had a plug adapter for my mobile devices/cameras which was great because since I brought my own, it meant I could now charge two things at the same time. Heck, since I arrived on Oct. 31, which is Halloween, they even had two complimentary masks in the room! The staff were always friendly, and gladly answered any questions I had. Safety was never a concern. You must use the room card key in order to make the elevators work. And they have a security guy at night, who was also always friendly to me. Its only 4 blocks from the Sheung Wan metro station. To me there were only two minor problems. The free Wi-Fi in my room on the 15th floor worked but it was very slow, especially if I was trying to upload a picture to send as a text message to my friends back in the US. If you went down to the lobby - which is on the second floor- then it was much faster. The other minor thing was the breakfast. It consisted mostly of bread slices with butter and jam, yogurts, slices of ham and cheese, muffins, apple and orange juice, coffee and tea. It was good and fresh, but they could use some variety, even if its only to use different cheeses and different cold cuts every once in a while. But I still took advantage of the free breakfast almost everyday. Oh, I forgot to mention they have Apple TV and a DVD player, and also a safe in each room. I would gladly stay here again in a heart beat!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Lou M
Gigi T, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Gulliver658,

On behalf of the team here I would like to thank you for writing such a thorough in-depth and positive review and story of your time with us at Ovolo 286 Queen's Road. It was an absolute pleasure reading through your experience with us and noting all the little aspects that made your stay memorable. You appear to have had the fullest Ovolo experience possible and we sincerely appreciate the praise you gave our team.

We hope you can stay with us again and again. Thank you.

There are newer reviews for Ovolo Noho

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We were a couple traveling to Hong Kong for almost a week. The service was excellent throughout our stay at Ovolo 286. The location is very central but we were on a high floor so noise wasn't ever an issue. The rooms are small compared to other cities, but for this price in Hong Kong the size seemed reasonable. Everything was very clean and the rooms made an efficient use of the full space. The wifi was pretty fast and the tv options were good too. The free drinks and snacks at Happy Hour every evening were a nice treat, and the continental breakfast was better than most. The front desk was always cheerful and helped with advice on how to travel around the island. Overall a great place to stay and comparatively good value.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Gigi T, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Chris and Mateya,

Thank you for posting a 5-star review of your Ovolo experience on tripadvisor. We are glad that overall you enjoyed our hotel. Please know that the front desk team was delighted when I shared your compliments with them. We hope to host you in HK again soon!

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed for just over one week in October. We found the location great; easy walk to MTR and also bars and restaurants in So Ho. The free tea and coffee and snacks in the bar/breakfast area were a bonus as was the free happy hour (although we only managed to make it once due to our busy schedule) The rooms were small - this is to be expected in HK but were spotlessly clean. My only problem was the lighting in the bathroom. The bright lights were in the shower recess and the dull lights were over the vanity making it hard to apply make up etc.
Staff were very obliging and happy to phone and make reservations in restaurants for us on several occasions. The free laundry was fabulous. One lady I spoke to said "more hotels should be like this! The laundry is being done while eating breakfast."
Cafe O is also worth a visit.

Room Tip: Higher floors are probably less likely to have traffic noise. We were on the 23rd floor.
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 days in Feb 2012 with my wife and six month old kid. Was very happy with the service and location of the hotel. The staff were very courteous and helpful. Overall a wonderful experience with the free and fast wifi, apple TV and happy hours which were included in the package.

Room Tip: This is a business hotel in Hong Kong and rooms are small.... dont be surprised about that.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Gigi T, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Cglyn,

Thank you for your great endorsement of our hotel! It is great to have such a positive feedback and our team are delighted to hear everything went so well.

On your next visit to Hong Kong, please feel free to let us know on gigitse@ovologroup.com and my team & I will be honored to look after your arrangements.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

The Hotel has a great design and everything seems new. The room was small but very functional, the deco was very nice. The mini-bar is free and they restock it daily (2 still waters, 1 sparkling water, 1 zero coke, 1 regular coke, 1 7up and 1 juice...i think).
The continental breakfast was also free and of very good quality...and there was snack all day long.
The reception is on de 2nd Floor...at the street level there is a doormen controlling the entrance and the elevators.

The location between Central and Sheung Wan, is very interesting...just go up Ladder Street (there is an antique market in these street) and in 1 minute you will be in Hollywood Road just in front of the famous Man Mo Temple. Follow Hollywood Road for 10 min walking towards Central, and you will find your self in Soho by the Mid Levels Escalators... 5 more min and you are right by Lan Kwai Fong nightlife area.

I'll stay at Ovolo 286 Queen's Road again

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Starting with the bad. At night it was hard to find- the local taxi driver couldn't find it. The cafe O is more prominent than the hotel sign.
The rooms are the tinniest ever. The bed is on the floor of a raised platform. Lights were awkward. The toiletries random. I'm almost bald but kept getting shampoo & conditioner - never any shower gel.The maid likes fun too !.There are no wardrobes, no drawers for clothes. Just a very high rail with 6 hangers. I was on my own & just about managed- how two people stay in the room I don't know.
Now the good stuff. It is in a good position, between Central, Soho nightlife, bars & cafes. 10 minutes walks to LKF entertainment area too.
It's quirky, fun & very friendly.There is a free bar 6-8pm daily in the reception/kitchen area. A free mini bar in your room.Free in room tea & coffee, Free slippers...although in the room there is literally nowhere to walk to in them ! Free halloween masks,free wifi throughout, free snack pack, free beach bag & a great shower-in a tiny bathroom.Free local calls, Free gym & free guest use self service laundry.
Also a free breakfast served in the same kitchen/reception area.
It's got a very relaxed atmosphere & the free evening bar & morning breakfast brings guests together, in what appears to be a lounge rather than a stuffy hotel room.
To sum up- it's like sleeping on the floor of a friends house, thats very crowded & mixing with their friends in the kitchen.
A fantastic place to stay for a maximum of 4 days, with minimal luggage. Any stay longer is liable to be too closterphobic.
I moved to a slightly cheaper hotel, without all the free funky stuff- but with a room five times the size of Ovolo.
A great place for younger people, although the guests were very mixed in terms of age & nationality.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Gigi T, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Narrabeam,

Many thanks for your constructive review. It is true that the rooms a rather space efficient but that’s why we design them smart and pack them with goodies to maximize the space so that everything you need is hopefully at your fingertips whenever you want it. We understand that this setup may not suitably accommodate every traveller and much regret that it was the case for you. Since you appeared to enjoy our freebies and facilities otherwise, I would highly recommend you consider our Central HK hotel on Arbuthnot Road or our all-suite hotel in West Kowloon as the rooms are larger.

We love feedback, will improve our efforts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to do right by you in the future.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

The design of the hotel doesn't stop with the rooms. The included fresh buffet breakfast and the free pre-dinner drinks in the lounge brings all the guests together in a friendly and natural way. The staff are helpful and attentive. The room was fun and suprisingly quiet. The location was excellent with interesting antique shops nearby and a few minutes walk to an MTR station and the ferry to Macau. As a single older female traveller I would be happy to stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear diana s,

Thanks so much for sharing your 5-star experience at Ovolo 286 Queen's Road on tripadvisor.
We hope you can stay with us again and again. Thank you.