“Funky hotel, awesome staff very small rooms though”
Review of Ovolo Noho

Ovolo Noho
Ranked #35 of 717 Hotels in Hong Kong
Perth, Australia
“Funky hotel, awesome staff very small rooms though”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Ovolo for 8 nights recently. We were drawn to it for its location and the great amenities that suit our style of travel such as the happy hour drinks, wifi access and guest laundry. We had expected the rooms to be small given the location but were a little surprised at just how small they were. For us it was fine, as we spend most of our time out exploring and not in the hotel. We did find the lack of storage or anywhere to put our cases an issue. The other features of the hotel made up for it though, and we were more than happy with our stay at the Ovolo. The staff are fantastic, our room was always very clean, happy hour drinks were a nice touch, good gym and nice breakfast. For us it a fun stay and good value, but if you plan to spend a lot of time in your hotel room it may not be suitable only due to room size.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Ricky C, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Kayt83,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comment to tripadvisor. My team and I are very happy to see you had a great time with us and hopefully we will see you very soon again.

Regards,

Ricky Cheng
Assistant Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Based on a friend's recommendation, I booked the Ovolo, thinking there was only one in Hong Kong. In fact, there are six, so you have to make sure you're booking the correct one (I booked on Agoda, and only the Ovolo in Southwest showed up, I wanted the NoHo location). Ovolo Noho is very reasonably priced.... much cheaper (but smaller) than the location in Central. Even though it's cheaper (and smaller), it's still very conveniently located for seeing the nightlife of LQF. So I booked Southwest (by mistake), showed up at Central (by mistake), and they helped me move my reservation (booked on Agoda) to the NoHo location. Amazing. They were extremely polite, helpful, and kept offering me free drinks and snacks while I waited for them to fix MY mistake. Amazing hotel, amazing staff, and amazing service. I previously only stayed in Tsim Sha Tsui (Regal Kowloon Hotel). Will only be staying at Ovolo Noho from here on out..... Did I mention that the mini bar and snack back are all free!!

Room Tip: Mini Queen room is the best value. They are small, but super efficient.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Gigi T, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Keith B,

Thank you kindly for your lovely review about your stay with us. We are glad to be unusual and different from other hotels in our style, services and amenities as you found during your visit.We hope to see you back again with us in the very near future!

Best regards,

Boulder Colorado
Reviewed 25 August 2014

For those of you who know Hong Kong you know how awesome this place is. I have traveled to this magical city for 8 years now and for those of you who have not yet been, I write this message. You want a medium priced hotel, but and expensive hotel is not necessary. You see, Hong Kong is TALL but it is not big. You can walk, taxi or MTA (subway) it around. I try new hotels every other time but now that the 286 Queens Road Central property is refurbished I just don’t know that Ill do any more shopping. You are 10 minutes away from the LKF party or the neighboring Shueng Wan cozy restaurants. Elgin Street is straight up and if you keep walking you will soon not be able to hear the horn from red Toyota that blankets the Hong Kong Streets. Read the description from the 286QRC site. Its actually better than they tout.

Room Tip: Don't sweat the small room. Its HK!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BrandonGreenhaw
Gigi T, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear BrandonGreenhaw,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review of your Ovolo Noho experience on tripadvisor. We appreciated reading that you found our location convenient. BrandonGreenhaw
you are invited to come stay with us again anytime. Please contact me if I can help with a future booking.

Monte-Carlo, Monaco
Reviewed 20 August 2014

It is not whether something is cheap or expensive. Is it valuable?
This new hotel group has nailed it.
Cost, comfort, and an unbelievable attention to those "little" details that make your stay there joyfully memorable. As in other reviews, the minibar, nice bathroom amenities, the little "loot" bag (many of these you don't even need to use to feel the value of the offer)...and not to overlook their incredibly creative use of space. Brilliant.
To top it off, and truly the difference that makes the difference, are the people.
Professionally friendly and helpful. At every turn.
A fabulous spot, highly recommend it to others, and will be certain to return ourselves.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JoyfulTravellerCPH
Gigi T, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear JoyfulTravellerCPH,

We are humbled by your compliments and are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Ovolo Noho. We will never sit still and will constantly strive to improve what we do. Let me know personally if I can assist with your travel arrangements next time.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We had a 3 night stay while on holiday in Hong Kong. The location is very central to everything 'touristy' on the island, with the MTR only a block or so away, therefore everything is within easy reach!! The rooms are quite small but very modern, however compared to most rooms in hong kong they are comparable. The bathrooms are clean, don't leak on the floor while showering and have all the important things a tourist will need ie power plugs, mirrors etc. While you wont get any harbour views, being a ways back from the water, what you will get is amazing service from the staff who are only eager to please. Ask them for advice on day trips, sights or restaurants and they are only to happy to help out. The setup for food and beverages is a little different in this hotel, compared to others. Im not sure if this is standard across the ovolo chain, but it is a contemporary way to give a great service i think. Every day between 6 and 7 is happy hour where you can grab a drink and unwind with other guests, all free of charge. The rooms come with a stocked fridge of drinks which are replenished daily and a great little treats bag to enjoy while your staying. The rooms also have hi speed wifi and apple tv which we found useful linking our devices to. The breakfasts are buffet style and offer all the basics to start your day. All inclusive of the room rate. Excellent value compared to many other options on the island side of hong kong. We found it an excellent base for our daily exploring of the city and a comfortable and quiet place to stay during the nights. We were on the 14th floor and didn't notice and street noise or other guests. Couldn't recommend this place more highly!! its probably not the type of place to stay if your going to spend all day in the room or hotel, but for what it is, it is an excellent place to sleep, have a chat and relax in between your sightseeing. perfect for the solo traveller or the couple travelling light.

Room Tip: as always the rooms on the higher floors will have less street noise
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex M
Gigi T, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Alex M,

Thanks for your post. I’m glad that all in all you enjoyed your stay at Ovolo 286 Queen's Road. We do have an excellent location, your particular praise about the service, room design and freebies were gratefully received. We very much look forward to welcoming you back. Let me know personally if I can assist with your travel arrangements next time.

Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Ovolo 286 exceeded my expectations.

The staff were friendly and helpful and would go out of their way to answer your questions/point you in the right direction. The hotel itself is small and intimate but in a good way. It is spotlessly clean and although the rooms are on the small side they feel fine because they are well planned out and decorated. Extremely comfortable bed and nice bathroom too. The free-mini bar is a nice touch along with the "pour your own" free bar in the lounge between 6-8. Breakfast is excellent with a good choice of hot and cold food and decent coffee etc.

Although I was travelling alone and purely on a site-seeing trip I would say the Hotel and it's location is ideal for single travellers, couples and family's alike. It's also in the ideal place because if you like to party at night you can walk to SoHo and Hollywood Road etc. in about 5-10mins but if you prefer a more quiet and laid back atmosphere then you can also walk along towards the Western market where there are some nice little restaurants and bars. The Star ferry is walkable distance but probably about 12 minutes at a steady pace, the nearest MTR station is only a couple of minutes walk away but if it's your first visit to Hong Kong then Taxis are very reasonable as well at only a couple of pounds to many places of interest nearby. (I even caught a taxi down from The Peak and it was no more than £5.)

Having explored many areas of Hong Kong during my visit I certainly feel I made the right choice in staying at the Ovolo 286 on Queens Road Central and would stay again and also recommend to friends.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank John_Hopkinson_86
Gigi T, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear John_Hopkinson_86 ,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback following your most recent stay with us. All of the team here at Ovolo 286 Queen's Road take great pride in delivering the service that we are famous for, it is just so encouraging to hear such positive comments.We are looking forward to welcoming you back again soon for another memorable stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed for two nights at the Ovolo Hotel last weekend. As expected, the rooms are very small but this hotel "works" if you are just in town for a few days and busy. The "Loot Bag" was fun and the kids loved this. The Apple TV in each room was also a plus. One thing to be careful of was the extremely hot water in the shower - that seemed hard to regulate. My 5 year old son got quite burnt and was scared to get back in the shower!

The location is good and the free mini-bar was good. Two days is the max I think I could stay in the small rooms, but I would return I guess. The lift, as someone else mentioned, took for ever and the breakfast was rather "average". It was good value for the low price you can get this hotel for.

Try it ... but not for long!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Gigi T, Manager at Ovolo Noho, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear LisaSingapore1,

Thanks for your post. I’m glad that all in all you enjoyed your stay at Ovolo 286 Queen's Road. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Let me know personally if I can assist with your travel arrangements next time.