“small rooms”

New Chung King Mansion Hostel
Ranked #106 of 164 Speciality Lodging in Hong Kong
Reviewed 6 March 2013

The hotel has a good location, but very small rooms. From the airport to the hotel by bus A21, it stops at 14 Nathan Road - get off here and walk about 50 meters back. At the hotel on the ground floor is a lot of traders, not a good feeling, but do not bother and it's all safe.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family

The Con's:
Room is tiny
Bed is horribly uncomfortable
Tv has no English channels
They do not provide towels
Bathroom is for tiny people!
Building is generally grotty

Decide for yourself!

• Stayed: December 2012
3  Thank Dara H
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I agree with ces168, the positives are the location and its price. Unbeatable in a place like hong kong. But i must also admit that It was a little daunting as we tried to find our way to checkin, with the line up for the lifts and the eclectic mix of different cultures on the ground floor starring at you as you dragged all your belongs through their shops to another lift. Despite the room being no bigger than a king size bed it was clean, airconned, had a TV (no english channels) and most importantly for travelers free fast wifi! yes the shower is a hose over the toilet but it is a hot shower.

In short, i wouldn't recommend this place to female only travelers, but is perfect for couples looking to rest their head for the night in a clean and reasonably priced shoebox!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MimaJ
Reviewed 11 June 2012

There are positive things about this hostel, great location and cheap. It is located at the heart of Nathan Road where all the shopping malls, restaurants, fastfood chains and tourist attractions are located. It is also very accessible to subway and train. Downside about this hostel is the rooms. We stayed in a twin accomodation and my goodness, there is a very little space to move. There is no bathroom door but only a shower curtain. No chair, there is just no space. But they do have hot water. But if you are not really particular about the place you want to stay in, I highly recommend this place. If I go back in HK, will I stay in this hostel? hmmm, if i have money, i will not. but considering the prices of hotels in Nathan Road, I will probably consider this hostel again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank ces168
Reviewed 6 May 2012

The whole building is cockroach infested, it feels very un-safe. A guy in the lift was making sexual gestures towards me and I greatly feared for my safety and there's very few people around at night which contributes to the danger. The rooms are so small we couldn't fit our bags in around the bed so we had to pout them behind the door which made getting in and out of the room difficult. the bathroom was so small I had to sit on the toilet to wash myself with the shower head, I'm not exaggerating this is how small it is. The only good thing to say is it's right in the city centre

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank GTLA
Amy C, Owner at New Chung King Mansion Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The location of Chung King Mansions tempt many budget concious travellers into it's depths. I personally was there for one night (arranging a Chinese visa) and think you get what you pay for. It is very cheap (by Hong Kong standards) and provides you with a basic to dump your kit. My main advice is to NOT BOOK IN ADVANCE through agoda or booking as you will pay more and they will try and give you the worst room as they already have your money, if you walk in off the street you can haggle them down on price and make sure the room is clean before you hand over any of your hard earned travel budget!! There are loads of Indians and Africans hanging around trying to sell you rooms, watches, suits etc.... but as a single male traveller I never had a problem with them, although I did have to be quite forceful on occaision to get them to leave me alone. I wouldn't reccomend families or single female travellers here if they were planning to be returning late at night as they could feel intimidated howevere the rooms themselves were secure so if like me you plan to just hold up for the night I can't imagine you having a problem.

Room Tip: The Chung King mansion building is split in blocks, don't go for any hostels in block A as it is...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Craig S

We are brand new budget hostel,and located in Chung King Mansion Block C where favored by many budget travelers due to it's cheap accommodation and central location in Hong Kong.Due to the valued land in Hong Kong,budget hostel room are small,but room are clean and with private bathroom,free internet access,air-condition,fan,television,telephone,fan,towel and slipper.Our check-in time is 12:30PM - 01:30AM,and Check-our time is before 12:00 noon.The building ground floor which is not belong to us and for building management,there are so many shops like money exchange,baggage,restaurant as well.There are many people to make shopping and make the ground floor so crowed,but actually is very safe and no crime in our building.Money exchange are much money in the shop,but they are still running properly.Your comment are very important for us to improve our service,and we are welcome to serving yours next time.

Reviewed 9 July 2011

what you see on the internet is NOT what you get.

I booked the best room on the internet, paid in Euro and got the worst room in all my travel history. I rather go camping in some jungle than stay here!

Let me summaries my very bad experience and advice to you- in just two words- DONT GO!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank triwarrior

What you have booked,what the same we will offer to you.Your booking is Budget Room,we have so many options for you to choose,budget,standard,deluxe,all with different room size and facilities and different price.We are brand new budget hostel,and located in Chung King Mansion where favored by many budget travelers due to it's cheap accommodation and central location in Hong Kong.Due to the valued land in Hong Kong,budget hostel room are small,but room are clean and with private bathroom,free internet access,air-condition,fan,television,telephone,fan,towel and slipper.Our check-in time is 12:30PM - 01:30AM,and Check-our time is before 12:00 noon.The building ground floor which is not belong to us and for building management,there are so many shops like money exchange,baggage,restaurant as well.There are many people to make shopping and make the ground floor so crowed,but actually is very safe and no crime in our building.Money exchange are much money in the shop,but they are still running properly.Your comment are very important for us to improve our service,and we are welcome to serving yours next time.