“Feeling like being trapped in a jail”
Review of Park Guest House

Park Guest House
Ranked #374 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 29 August 2013

Yeah, the location is good because it's near MTR and at the center of the town.
But I felt very uncomfortable and dangerous with the harsh environment and people living in this building.
the building is so big but it has only 2 small elevators to carry all residents. I wonder how big-sized people live here. Everything is limited. The elevators have no air conditioning system, it's like being in a hell when we used the elevator. No air, no fan!!
I couldn't sleep at all though I was very exhausted and it's noisy because there's the construction upstair. We couldn't even hear our voice when we talked.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
9  Thank Chowdear
There are newer reviews for Park Guest House

Reviewed 4 October 2012

How anyone can say their stay at Park Guest House was comfortable, clean & enjoyable is beyond me. Were you staying at the same place at Chungking Mansions, 15th Floor, Nathan Road, Kowloon ?? The room (read as Closet), was so tiny that 2 of us had trouble even turning around in the room, ensuite smelt musty and the shower sprays all over the toilet. Flip flops are provided, but be warned - wear your own. The bed was uncomfortable, hard mattress, hard pillows and not big enough for 2 people even though we booked a double room. It was even worse trying to get up to Lvl.15 using one of 2 lifts which would fit 5-6 people (less if you have luggage), with Security guard and Video camera surveillance. What happens in this place to warrant that?? Thankfully we weren't to find out but it is 4 nights in a guest house that we will never get back. Spend a little more elsewhere away from this area where touts relentlessly hound tourists to buy fake bags, watches and tailored suits. .....It is not somewhere I would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: If you only have a couple of bucks to spare stay here, otherwise spend a little more and find somewh...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
22  Thank LizzinCNS
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I took a last minute trip to Hong Kong and did not book anywhere so I was pretty desperate as every hotel that I crossed was fully booked. I paid 500 HKD for the room sight unseen which proved to be a mistake. The room was grotesque-tiny, not very clean, a nasty, stained bathroom with a floppy wooden door, antique plumbing and no soap, toilet paper etc. and smelled nasty. I think that the thing that surprised me the most was that there were two large suitcases taking up a good portion of the room (storage I'm guessing). I had to have a few drinks in order to be able to return to it. The location was good but I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank lmorinHangzhouchina
Reviewed 8 August 2012

The room was very small, which I found out is expected in Hong Kong. I've stayed with my boyfriend for 4 nights. Space is one thing, the main problem was the bathroom. It's in the room like 20 cm away from the bed and it was see through, literally see through. Taking a shower is one thing but using the toilet was quite an experience. Everytime one of us had to use toiled the other one had to put on a headset, turn back and put a pillow over the head. And the elevator is pretty bad, with many scary looking people on the ground floor.
Now about the pros: it's cheap, the location is the best, close to everything, very clean, the lady changes the towels and bed sheets everyday, aircon works just fine, the bed and pillows were comfy.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room near the exit
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ORita46
Reviewed 29 June 2012

My partner and I stayed at this hotel for 12 nights so we got to know it pretty well. Before we got to the hotel we received an email from them telling us exactly how to get to there and gave us warning of 'touts' (randoms who want to take advantage of us).
The hotel is located in a huge building, as is to be expected in Hong Kong, and is on the 15th floor. The front entrance has upwards of 15 hawkers at one time trying to get your attention, walking in front of you, saying variations of; "room?", "watch?," "suit?". There are two elevators. One services the even number of levels and the other services the odd numbers. During peak times there is a line to these elevators and a guard is around to monitor or shove more people into or out of the elevators. The elevator is tiny. We're talking public toilet cubicle tiny. Most of the time if we saw a queue of people we opted for the stairs since the elevator would take forever. Take note, if you do decide to use the stairs they can be a bit eerie. Though we were never met with any danger per say it did make us weary. On our first adventure up the stairs we were asked if we wanted any drugs!
Onto the hotel! The rooms are tiny. To be expected. The shower is literally over the toilet so I suggest you remove all the toilet paper from the bathroom before taking a sower. The bed can move up to the roof level which we found handy to clear up some, minimal space, by putting our bags under the bed. This at least made a clear pathway to the door. You have a tv, air conditioning and mini fridge. The tv worked well. Room service was daily. The woman who worked there was lovely and had little English but tried her best when we asked her questions about places. There is a hot water dispenser available and we found a dry cleaners on the first floor of the building. There was work going on when we were staying, and I imagine it will forever be going on, but since we were on the 15th floor the sound was minimal.
There is a station close by which made it incredibly easy for us to travel around. The hotel is also located within walking distance to the art gallery and space museum which have free entry on specific days. Also across the street from the hotel is an imax cinema. A block away is a post office, especially awesome when you happen to buy a lot of stuff to send back home. There is a supermarket by the train station, about 2 blocks away. It has a bakery out the front which proved to be a necessity in providing us with our lunches for the day. Also the airport bus is right outside of the hotel. Made it super easy for us when we had to leave at 4am in the morning.
I was very satisfied with this hotel. It provided what I expected. However the hawkers out the front just do. not. stop. Literally we would walk past the same people and they would still harass us even if they only saw us 15 minutes before. We had one guy follow us for a block yelling obscenities because we didn't care about what he was selling. If you cannot deal with hawkers then I suggest you stay far far away from the Park Guest House. If you can deal with hawkers then I would recommend the Park Guest House as a place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Spiffle
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Small room is expected before I check in, but I was shocked the room is smaller than my expectation. We stayed in twin room with bathroom attached, the overall just like 4ft x 8ft, occupied by 2 single bed + bathroom (estimated 2ft x 4ft), the only space for 2 people to stand just like 2ft x 2ft…
The luggage can keep under the bed, no extra furniture, only basic, aircond is working well, tv reception is good, and free secured wifi is provided. Free water refill is provided at the corridor, feel like sound block is not so good, people talking in outside can hear clearly when refilling water…
One important point for those tourist want to stay in this kind of guest house, I just 165cm tall, the bed I sleep just nice to fit in, feel like the bed is 180cm length only. For those tall guy please check before you stay in.
In the same time I also visit others room when the maid cleaning the other rooms, I found that 3 single bed room is the best, endless city view and space enough. Single bed room is no window, dark in the room. Recommended if you have a bit extra money and want to stay more comfortable, 2 people can select 3 bed room, 1 person can select twin bed room.
The building is a bit old, but this guest house has been refurbished, feel comfortable. What others said, the ground floor is a bit mess, while there are many stalls and money exchange which very convenience tourists. The building management is well managed, everything arranged in order, tourist needs patient to queue and wait for the lift.
The location is good, Chung King Mansion is well-known, just mentioned the building name to bus driver, he will stop at the closer bus stop, just walk within two minutes distance. A21 is the direct bus from airport to the location. Restaurant and shopping center are around the area, very convenience. Everything is fine, if the room is just a sleep in your journey.

Room Tip: The size of the bed is important, suitable for Asean people, but not European.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WeilekHo
Reviewed 18 May 2012

One of the many hotels/guest houses in the Chungking mansion building. Accessibility is certainly good, on the main road, in a perennial crowded area. Subway station is right next to the building and ferry service is also a short walk away. The mansion corridor atmosphere looked a little shady but minding your own business and avoid talking to people will get you through. The hotel though is clean and well maintained and the lady at the hotel was really friendly. I initially booked for one day but extended just because of her behaviour. The rooms are extremely small for the price, but that's usually the case everywhere in HK because of limited real estate and high tourist influx. The dimensions were just enough for a 4 by 7 feet bed and a person to stand next to it, with the bathroom being about half this size. But it had all the facilities of a TV, AC, refrigerator, wifi, all basic necessities.
Would recommend for crashing after a tiring day of roaming around HK.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple