“Fantastic view and helpful staff”

Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel
Ranked #31 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I stayed here recently with my family and it provided an ideal location to get out and about and explore HK as it was close to the MTR, elevated walkways and Star Ferry. We had an amazing view over the harbour from our room and even from the women's sauna. Facilities were good, the staff were extremely helpful and the hotel was spotlessly clean. The only reason for not giving it an excellent rating was the slight lack of information provided at times regarding restaurants and the swimming pool facilities being organised by the neighbouring Grand Hyatt hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a harbour view room to make the most of the amazing views.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I honestly can't say enough about how I loved this hotel. We can start with the location. Its connected via skywalk to the MTR. Easy to use. Works more efficiently than any underground I have ever used. Next, the ferry station is right across the street. Literally you are two stops from central. Whats nice is you can get anywhere. Disney, Lantau Island, Mong Kok. Doesn't matter.
With the navigators you are in good hands here. You wont get lost. The maps are detailed and excellent. Although I recommend cabbing it from the airport. Its not that expensive. Maybe 50.00 USD. Its worth it not to carry bags through airport express on crowded trains and buses.
When you land taxi system works very efficiently. Use the RED cabs when you land. They are fast. They have a check in system where they move people right along through the line.
Next, we can address check in. The representatives are friendly enough. Funny though, I always read about people getting upgraded and even as someone who works in the travel industry you would think it would happen for me but didn't. That was a little disappointing. It can be rather crowded at this hotel. The lobby is always buzzing and rather noisy. Due to the MTR and its proximity to the convention center its ALWAYS busy. At night, its actually quite pretty candles are lit and its quite the place to catch a drink before dinner. The rooms were a little small. Comfortable though. I did not really consider this to be an issue. The beds are fabulous and linens the softest I have EVER felt in my life. Ive tried to reproduce this at home and bought sheets from marriott.. but even mine dont feel like this. Super soft and sleep easy!! Wish I could have brought the whole bed home!!! I did NOT however care for the window with blinds separating the room from the bathroom. I think better blinds need to be put in that are electronic that come down from the window. Not blinds that pull with strings and rods. Invest in better that offer more privacy to your guests.
Room service was expensive but very good. Food was plentiful and we never had to wait long. Always delivered on a nice table and it was delicious for sure.
Housecleaning was GREAT. Rooms were always spotless and towels replaced. Great set up. They give you everything you need. They even provided an transformer for us to charge our things when ours failed.
I travel frequently being part of the profession. I also consider myself somewhat of a hotel snob. This hotel passes the test. I have nothing bad to say. I thank everyone at the property that help make the stay of a life time.

Room Tip: High floors away from elevators. Very quiet, Nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank annie517
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Many options for a great view in this hotel. Rooms are clean and I felt safe. Many of the rooms are quite small, and the temperature control was drastically inadequate. Good selection for on-site restaurants; easily accessible to shopping and the convention center. Service at the front desk and in the restaurant was slow.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MickMill
rhi_hkghv, General Manager at Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear MickMill

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We sincerely apologize your experience with us was other than wonderful, and will work towards improvements in areas you have identified.

Many thanks for your valuable comments, which will definitely lead to further enhance our services and products.

Warm regards
Hans Loontiens

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is a very busy (is there any other in HK?) hotel with many business clients but is equally caring towards leisure travellers. The staff are excellent and the accommodation first class. The hotel is ideally situated for a short stay during which you want to fit in the maximum sightseeing. Minor beef is the cost of breakfast and, if you do not want the full cooked, you have to be careful to make that clear as it is pretty well assumed and the bill presented accordingly (although retrospective negotiation is possible).

Room Tip: Harbour View rooms have a magnificent outlook
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel is one of the, if not the, best Renaissances I've stayed in. I used Marriott points to book my stay here, so I can't comment on the true $ costs of the rooms as the normal rates are quite high, but the rooms are great and definitely up to standard Renaissance quality.

We got a room facing the harbour on the 36th floor and the view was better from our room than many of the places guide books told us to go to see great views. The concierge lounge was also very good, it's 2 floors, so it's pretty big and the food was definitely above average compared to other Marriott lounges. Everyone I encountered spoke English very well and the gym was pretty good too. I have nothing bad to say about his hotel at all.

Room Tip: Pay extra if you need to for the rooms facing the harbour or access to the concierge lounge because...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ee978
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This is my number 4th visit to Hong Kong and my 1st stay at this wonderful hotel. When it comes to HK the choices of hotels are ridiculous! so many choices!!!. I think it comes down where you want to stay, what do you want to see? and how much money are you willing to spend. The Harbour View it is a great hotel with a beautiful view of the HK Harbour right across the convention center, so for any of you business people who are planning to attend any Convention if you company has the budget go for it! not just to attend conventions but for everything else!. As a Renaissance Harbour club member we have a special check in floor as well as endless free drinks or happy hours from 5pm to 730pm, which it makes me very lovely and fun to spend your evening before going out in town. We stayed at the Harbour view room (nice!!!) you just can beat the view. In a nutshell: You have the money then just go there. Down side: far distance from any subway system but taxis are cheap!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I checked in for 6 nights, for a suite for 5000hk dollars night, the suite was very small,its ok by hk standards i think,, i got a very low floor, thats also ok as there is a exhibition going on, the only reason i am giving 3 stars instead of 0 is the great view the hotel gives you when you get club access. So the good exhibiton hall , good view if you have club access.
the bad, small room, the carpet was stained ??!! is it a five star,not very comfortable beds, very difficult to connect to the internet if you have a windows 8 pc, IOS is fine, i was supposed to get a daily news paper didn't get it, and horribly expensive I paid 32,000 hk dollars for 6 nights for that i could have stayed at the peninsula and take a 2 dollar ferry to the hong kong exhibition halls. i figured that out after understanding the geography of hk, they are charging for the location, hotel is nothing great.
and take the ferry and you will have much better hotel choices if you are just going for the exhibition. Oh yes, no spa, no steam, sauna Jacuzzi in the gym ? The breakfast at the club lounge was decent for a 3 to 4 star not a 5 star at all, or maybe dubai has spoilt us. Overall I am not coming back here, very dated hotel, Oh yes i was supposed to get a suit pressing free, they charged me i had to reverse it. and a lot of other minor things from the person in the phone not understanding i am supposed to get a daily news paper and no real apology for their mistakes.

Room Tip: If you are going for the hktdc exhibition stay at kowloon and take the wanchai ferry, you will have...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rohitdavinci
rhi_hkghv, General Manager at Renaissance Hong Kong Harbour View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear Rohitdavinci

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed during your stay. The hotel room and service were unfortunately failed to meet your expectation, for which we sincerely apologize. Please contact me at rhi.hkghv.executive.office@renaissancehotels.com so that we can improve in the areas where we fall short.

I sincerely look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards