“Say NO to the Dorms at YesInn” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yesinn Hostel Fortress Hill

Yesinn Hostel Fortress Hill
Boulder, CO
“Say NO to the Dorms at YesInn”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2011

The dorms are nasty! Bathroom does not get cleaned. Cockroaches in room. There is no communal space. The two girls at the front desk were rude and the girl that checked us in tried to overcharge us.

Rob at the front desk was great. Super nice guy and very helpful. The private rooms are very nice, but also very expensive for what they are; then again, it's Hong Kong. In short, it's not a bad place to stay if you can get a private room, but I would avoid the dorms at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't stay in their dorms!!!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nosearg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

My partner and I stayed at Yesinn in late April 2011 for a couple of nights. I chose it for the price and location. We had a private room with private bathroom and "air-conditioner". The room was tiny as expected for HK and had no ventilation except for the AC.
Unfortunately the first night we discovered that the AC wasn't working. Obviously with the heat and humidity this was a problem as I struggle to sleep under sauna-like conditions. No problem though what with the helpful staff, right? First thing next morning the guy at reception promised to get the technician to have a look but that evening when we got back it was still not working. The girl on night shift was very understanding but wasn't "authorized' to do anything other than bring a fan and promise to report it to the morning shift for the possibility of a refund/discount. We battled through another night with the heat and lack of fresh air. Off course, come the morning, nobody at reception knew what we were talking about.
I usually stay in inns/hostel when traveling and it would have been an okay experience if it wasn't for the AC. Travelers beware, paying in full upfront as they demand at Yesinn, leaves you with no recourse if you turn out to be the unlucky visitor who needs something from the staff.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Africanabout

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Xiamen, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

This was my 2nd stay at the YesInn. I found that the building and room you get really make the difference! I enjoyed the first stay, although small, it is Hong Kong, and although dirty around the edges, the important things were clean. That stay was in their 2nd block of rooms.
This time, I had a primo room right by the check in desk. It was amazingly spacious for Hong Kong! It was very clean, stylish, and roomy. The shower was even separated from the toilet by a curtain!! (Maybe that doesn't sound impressive to you now, but once you visit HK you'll be amazed by that!) There was also a window taking up the whole outer wall, making it feel even more open.
I was pleased enough the first time at YesInn to come back and was stunned by the room the second time. I've also since stayed in another HK hostel, which was pretty bad, and realized that YesInn is wonderful by Hong Kong standards.
I personally love the location. I'm not a nightlife person, so I don't care if I'm in Kowloon. The hostel is on the famous tram line, and not too far from a subway station. It is a safe, livable area that I liked returning to at night.
I'll likely be back the next time I go to HK (although I'll be contacting the accomodating staff to see if I can get the same room again).

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

Stayed at Yes Inn when we went to Hong Kong. Really value for money. Situated in Hong Kong island so if you stayed late in Kowloon either take a cab back or wait for the trains to start rolling again in the morning.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2011

I Hv booked in to yessinn at the fortress hill with my bf. The first room air condition was not working but lucky they get us another room immediately which look better than the first room

It was a double bed room but it is really tiny, considering me n my bf aren't big size, both of us weight not more than 100 kg. The bed is still way too small for 2 person. We Hv to hide our luggage under the bed. If you are looking for room just to sleep after the tired shopping in hk, it is acceptable.

Wifi is working well in the room and it's quite clean. Overall an average stay.

• Stayed October 2010
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

My wife and I went to Hong Kong for travel and we stayed at the Yesinn Hostel in Kowloon for a month. When I checked in with the reception the first night I arrived, it totally upset me. The images they put the web were far different from the reality. The building we were staying was not the one on the web but about 3 blocks away. The room were very small and at the low level. Through the night, I could hear the people shouting down on the street and the noise from traffic. I planned to talk to them the next day to have my deposit back and move to other service apartment since it was out of my toleration. I paid them HK$4000 deposit for the two rooms apartment and the total cost for a month is $16000 plus electricity. With this price, I can have a much better living environment than this one in Tai Kok Tsui. However, the staff there told my deposit cannot be returned and they switch me to other unit at another building. (I hate this kind of the service and very very not professional!!) We had been switched to bigger suite which was on the 2nd floor. When we open the windows, the noise and smelly odour flew in and upset me so much. Also, one of the reality agent came with her clients and asked if she can show them the apartment. I realized that suite was on the selling market and they can make profit by renting to the travellers while looking for a potential buyers. After this trip, I learn a lesson and this is my worst experience staying at the service apartment in Hong Kong. For those of you planning to stay at this hostel, don't be mislead by those images on Yesinn website and don't pay any deposit before you really see the apartment you are going to stay. They can move you around to different buildings close by.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Smallcat1115
Shenzhen, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

Rooms were dirty and in poor repair. Linens covered in hair, bloodspots. Manager was friendly and accomodating, but switching rooms did not bring better results.

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple