“Worst booking experience I've had!”

Yesinn Hostel Fortress Hill
Singapore
“Worst booking experience I've had!”
Reviewed 2 April 2008

I tried to call, msn, email for availalbe rooms but the staffs and even the boss were unhelpful. Response were slow and if u wish to secure a room in HK, especially when your doing it online, settle for somewhere else!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Nothing
Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 29 March 2008

We've been in YesInn hostel in march 2008. Booking from YesInn hostel site with 20% advance (24USD per person / per night / twin room). As we arrive Hong Kong about 1am, it was no problem to find YesInn (taxi about 30USD) and reseption girl :) Tiny rooms about 10 square meters, but clean with bathroom. It's ok to stay for 2-3 days using hostel only for sleep.
Also there's free access to the roof of the hostel building, couple of nice shoots there :)

• Stayed March 2008, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 29 August 2007

We stayed across the street from the main Yesinn building. This means we were on the same side of the road as the train station, less than 5 minutes' walk away. Super convenient location - with pharmacies, eateries, etc. all along the way.

We had to check in at the main building. The main building's rooms look nicer, and are quite similar to what you see on its website. But, as is the norm in HK, the space does make you feel claustrophobic. They were in the midst of cleaning out some rooms when I was checking in, so we had to gingerly walk across laundry and sheets that were thrown in the hallway (as the maid didn't have space to put them while cleaning the room).

On the 2nd day, we were out of the apartment by 8am and only arrived back at midnight. Imagine our shock when we saw a note stuck to the door that told us to traipse back to the main building to get our new room key (as they had just decided on that day to change the door access from normal door knobs with keys, to one with a keycard access). We were having blisters on our feet after a long day of walking, and were not happy having to trudge back to the main building. To add salt to the wound (no pun intended), the main building's main door couldn't be accessed as the elevator is closed off for security reasons after a certain hour at night. The guard brought us traipsing to the other side of the building where he said we could access to Yesinn's main building after the normal hours. My feet were not very happy that night I can tell you. At the very least, the management could have called me up on my mobile to inform us, instead of us having to run around. The maid who gave us the new key card apologized (rather insincerely, I felt). But when I requested for some water to fill my bottle (that they supply for free), she said the supply had finished for the day and that I could buy some bottled water from her if I really wanted.

They also entered the room some time during the day to fix the tv (or something else, I know not what) as the shelves below the tv were coated with sawdust when we returned. They could have at least cleaned up after they left (I'm glad I make it a habit to lock up my suitcase whenever I leave the room).

The bathroom also emitted an odd stink one night, that smelt like clogged drains, bad eggs, you get the idea. That was horrible.

We booked a double bed, and I expected at least a queen-sized bed. Apparently in HK, it's an "in-between" size (we coined that phrase). It's small enough to be a super-single but it's not big enough to be a queen. And it was hard like rock! We asked if we could change to a room with a softer bed (as my fiance has a problem with his back) but they said the hard bed is "HK culture"?!!

But, I guess you get what you pay for. Although it seems like I complained a lot, I was however rather satisfied with the stay (because the price I paid would have put me up in a really depressing place in Mongkok otherwise). Would I stay here again? Yes I would as the location is good and convenient, but I wouldn't want the same room - I'd request for something in the main building AND I'd request for 2 single beds. It's a great option for backpackers, or if you don't mind cramping a little (but want the privacy of an ensuite bathroom).

The bathroom is small and gets all wet when you take a bath. But, it's not as small compared to the one I had to contend with in London - and I paid 7 times more in London!

Sorry for the super-long review, but I personally like reading detailed reviews as they're more helpful, so decide to return the favour.

• Liked — Proximity to train station and amenities
  • Disliked — Management
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank fong28
Europe
Reviewed 7 August 2007

I stayed at the Yesinn because I read great reviews on trip advisor with the exception of one review which unfortunately I later found out turned out to be true. Yes, there are nice rooms at the main Yesinn site but the satellite buildings are very different. I was quite impressed by the rooms in the main building which looked vaguely like the photos in the website but found myself being allocated to another site which had graffitti on the walls and where my ensuite toilet which I paid extra for stank to high heaven! It was a depressing experience which almost ruined my trip.

• Liked — Internet access
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and attitude of the staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank wikiEurope

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

vicenza
Reviewed 13 May 2007

i had a vey nice stay in yesinn....is not like the other hostels where i went...i found privacy, courtesy in a strategic location close to the center just in front of mtr and tram station! my room was very nice, well decorated and clean, whit tv and internet connection free. the staff was nice whit me, i arriverd there in the middle of the night....

• Liked — fqacilities
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank peloVicenza
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 May 2007

Ugh. This is a pretty depressing place. We checked in around 8:00 pm and after they sorted out what room to put us in (they have 3 different buildings), we settled in to our room in one of Hong Kong’s infamous “mansions.” The problem was, it looked like someone else had settled into our room before us. The bed was kind of unmade, and the bathmat was covered in someone’s, dare I say it, toenails? There was also a pair of flip flops provided for shower use. I just want to know, who on earth would use a pair of communal flip flops in a dirty hostel? Am I just being prissy? I don’t know. If you don’t care and just want to crash reasonably close to Central in Hong Kong City, then stay at YesInn. Otherwise, spend a little extra cash and just say no.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael A
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 5 April 2007

We stayed for 2 nights in a double room with ensuite in Flat M. This place was a great little find. We took the A11 bus from the airport and it dropped us within 200m of the hotel and the return bus was even closer maybe 100m and $40HK, much simpler than having to change trains and carry luggage around. The rooms are tiny - but that is just Hong Kong on the cheap. The room was beautiful and clean, dected out in IKEA furnishings, the bed is raised and bags can be stored underneath, TV, ensuite extra small, - but great hotwater. Free internet computer provided and wireless access available. Also use of microwave and fridge. Public transport was very accessible with the fortress Hill MTR across the road. This is not a tourist area, but still for the price and the ease in commuting, definitely not a problem. The staff are very helpful. Only thing you need to pay in cash or otherwise credit card incurs a 4% charge. Would definitely stay again.

• Liked — clean and fresh
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple