“OK hostel”

Yesinn Hostel Fortress Hill
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here 2 nights in June to explore the city. The location of the hostel is nice and the staff is friendly but not very willing to help.

After a nice Hong Kong party the first night we slept a little longer than usual but were disturbed around 11am by someone entering the room without knocking or any prior notice. We complained about this issue but the same thing happened the next day. We were not unsatisfied about the cleaning of the room but entering a room in the morning without knocking or notifying us that someone will enter the room in advance is NOT DONE!

The rooms are small, quit clean for China standards but the quality is not what I expected comparing with mainland China accommodations for less than half of the price!

For the location and price compared to other hostels in Hong Kong I could recommend but for a comfortable stay look for another hostel in Hong Kong!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We didn't expect much because it's a hostel.
The rooms are minuscule, but fairly clean.
The location is good!
The hotel smells, but this smell is fairly common throughout Hong Kong.
We rarely saw the staff, but they were friendly.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This is my first time stay at a hostel,since hk hotel hotel price are super expersive this day,me and my girl friend decide not to spend 150 dollars a night in a small 3star hotel for my back home trip, one of my friend who dis backpacking a lot refer me to yesinn ,this hostel is locate inside a old residence buildng at hk island ,I spend 8 nights here for average 65 USD a night which is not bad ,MTR station at 10 minute walking distance ,bus stop right at front door, lot of local restaurant around .

We get a twin room with own bath ,the room is very small, can't even open my 29 inch suitcase fully ,room is clear enough as a hostel ,bath are ok and hot water are provide .free WiFi are fast and connection are stable

If I need to pay myself to stay at HK ,I will reture to this hostel for sure ,compare all those overpriced hotel in town ,yesinn charge a very reasonable price for what they provide

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patrwan
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Sorry for the late review and I know its long overview. I was here with my Family last September. It was unexpected as i have no idea with backpackers or hostel living. This was introduce by my sister. For reasonable yet stylish living its a place to stay. Do not expect getting water delivered on your room or even towels for shower. I guess some bad reviews came from travellers who expect like a boutique hotel-like living, but then again hostel living is really at par and way better than other guesthouse near the area. Apart from it's accessibility with Fortress Hill MRT station and other food shops and stall. WiFi use is really fast! and the interior is well kept with the vibrant color that reflects HK. I even met and get close with CiCi Yau one of the front desk and nicest person i met in HK. So, with this being said i really recommend this hostel if you want to cut some budget yet getting lost in HongKong.

Room Tip: Here is a tip, if you opted to travel by yourself, there is an option for single ensuite for you to...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Two of us stayed for 5 nights in total in June. We booked a twin private ensuite and was given a three bed room. I have been staying in numerous hostels across the world (from Europe to Asia) and thus I might be comparing them with both the WORSE and the BEST hostel experiences.

Location: good. Close to good food places (e.g.: porridge, beef noodles). Close to Fortress HIll MTR station thus making it convenient to access shopping districts. Close to North point which itself contains residential shopping and eating areas.

Room: Small and cosy. It is HK afterall. Sufficient room to manoeuvre around because there was only two of us. Till now I'm still wondering why we were given a three room when we booked a twin ensuite. Apparently the receptionist said there was no such thing as a twin ensuite (HUH?). Toilets are small, albeit clean. We had a bit of an issue with the toilet flushing though. Other than the whole building's sewage system undergoing maintenance, we had to manually lift the water tank cover to stop the toilet bowl from flushing itself continuously. I guess it's because the toilet bowl is old.

Environment: Horrible sound proofing of rooms. We were trapped between two dorms, of which consisted of travellers gossiping at the top of their voices at 1-2am. Naturally I could hear everything that was being said. If you were to choose this hostel, bring ear plugs - which i used eventually.

Service staff: I had a fantastic impression of them when they responded to my urgent email within 12 hours. The receptionist that aided our check in was helpful as well. But I left with a horrid impression. On the last day, the receptionist was a grumpy lady who was of little help to us when we requested to store our luggage. At level 15 (where the reception is at), the luggage storage area was full. So we asked for another location if possible. her response? she THREW the password for level 5 onto the table and said "you can put at level 5 since you don't want to put it here". obviously it's because we CAN'T put it here that's why we ASKED for another space. Horrid service. On that note, both of us were quite shocked by how our rooms were entered without prior notice. No one told us that the rooms will be cleaned during our stay. Not complaining about the cleaning bit but prior information would be beneficial.

TLDR?

OVERALL: good location, average room with poor sound-proofing, below average service. Perfect for budget travellers.

Room Tip: I hope you won't get a room on the 15th floor receptionist area.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed in a dorm room for four nights, and it was pretty average. Comfortable beds, but no thought put into the aesthetics of the place (concrete floors, bare white walls). It was hard to meet people or just hang out and relax because the reception, rooms, and common room were spread over several floors. The location is good because it's near the MTR, but there isn't anything of interest within walking distance. The staff were pleasant enough, but not especially friendly or helpful. Overall it did the job, but I'll probably consider other options next time.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This hostel seems to be all over the place, it shows up as top result on agoda/ bookings.com/ hostel world and even google search. The reviews seem positive overall so when I needed a place to crash for one night I just walked in paid almost 400 hkd and got a private room. The hostel is in a residential building on a busy street. The room was absolutely AWFUL. It fits pretty much just one single bed, smelled of smoke, the ensuite bathroom was disgusting, the sheets were damp… where did all the good reviews come from? Did you all sleep on the street before this? Anyways would never recommend this hostel to anyone, maybe it's not possible to find better places for < 200 per night, this is Hong Kong after all, but if you are willing to pay a little more, say 500 or 600 you can get a much more decent room in nearby area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo