“an okay hostel”

Yesinn Hostel Fortress Hill
Bangkok, Thailand
“an okay hostel”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The staffs were nice and speak good English.

The hostel is in an old, smelling building locating next to 7-11 and a supermarket. Only few minutes walk from MTR Fortress Hill, plus few metres away from the bus stop with bus A11 straight to the airport passing by every 20 minutes.There is also the famous Tim Ho Wan around there. I'd give 4 for the location.

Our private 4-bed was pretty small and there was water coming out of nowhere on the floor. we told the staff and they passed the message to the technician, he came checked and did nothing.

They also provided a shared fridge, a shared hairdryer, and an iron which didn't work quite well.

It's an okay place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for one with windows
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Pang K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Finding a place to stay in a foreign country is always overwhelming. I did my study and I've chosen Yesinn as my week stay in HK. And boy, it is worth every penny.
I am a solo traveler, and I booked a mixed dorm of 8 ppl and I never felt so private. Each bunk bed is supplied with curtains for privacy, electrical port to recharge your smartphones or tablets and a night lamp, just in case you wanna do some light reading, watch something online (and yes...free wifi) or some map study for the day ahead. The cleaniness of the room is a subjective matter, and highly dependant on the occupant, but most of the time, it is clean. Thanks to common courtesy.
In the common room, they have provided a desktop with internet for free browsing, hot boiler for hot water...in case of late night ramen.
So, if you decided to choose Yesinn, it is located at Fortress Hill (B exit) turn to your right and walk straight until you reach 7 Eleven. The entrance to Continental Mansion is located next to shop. Ask the guard and he will show you a piece of cardboard of your destination. Follow it, and you will find Yesinn!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Arief R
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I was in the fire that burnt this hostel on 29 Dec. I almost died. The lights went out and thick smoke poured in from the windows and quickly filled the small hostel. The hostelites huddled in the narrow corridor opposite the reception booth near the entrance. We couldnt breathe. When we opened the door, more smoke poured in. It was fuming hot when we stepped out of the door. People started choking and wailing uncontrollably. We were frightened for our lives. And it was this fear of dying that spurred me to step into the heat out of that hostel room. It was a maze of corridors enroute to the lift but i was lucky to find the emergency exit staircase next to the lift.

My friend didnt survive the fire and died of smoke inhalation.

The hostel was a room unit in a very old building and was divided into small bunk rooms. We were staying in overcrowded quarters. The hostel staff was nowhere to be found. There were no ceiling fire sprinklers which could have saved my friend.

Choosing this hostel is the biggest mistake i made.

• Stayed December 2013
19 Thank msbeetle

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed here 2 nights in June to explore the city. The location of the hostel is nice and the staff is friendly but not very willing to help.

After a nice Hong Kong party the first night we slept a little longer than usual but were disturbed around 11am by someone entering the room without knocking or any prior notice. We complained about this issue but the same thing happened the next day. We were not unsatisfied about the cleaning of the room but entering a room in the morning without knocking or notifying us that someone will enter the room in advance is NOT DONE!

The rooms are small, quit clean for China standards but the quality is not what I expected comparing with mainland China accommodations for less than half of the price!

For the location and price compared to other hostels in Hong Kong I could recommend but for a comfortable stay look for another hostel in Hong Kong!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We didn't expect much because it's a hostel.
The rooms are minuscule, but fairly clean.
The location is good!
The hotel smells, but this smell is fairly common throughout Hong Kong.
We rarely saw the staff, but they were friendly.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Bangkok
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

This is my first time stay at a hostel,since hk hotel hotel price are super expersive this day,me and my girl friend decide not to spend 150 dollars a night in a small 3star hotel for my back home trip, one of my friend who dis backpacking a lot refer me to yesinn ,this hostel is locate inside a old residence buildng at hk island ,I spend 8 nights here for average 65 USD a night which is not bad ,MTR station at 10 minute walking distance ,bus stop right at front door, lot of local restaurant around .

We get a twin room with own bath ,the room is very small, can't even open my 29 inch suitcase fully ,room is clear enough as a hostel ,bath are ok and hot water are provide .free WiFi are fast and connection are stable

If I need to pay myself to stay at HK ,I will reture to this hostel for sure ,compare all those overpriced hotel in town ,yesinn charge a very reasonable price for what they provide

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Patrwan
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Sorry for the late review and I know its long overview. I was here with my Family last September. It was unexpected as i have no idea with backpackers or hostel living. This was introduce by my sister. For reasonable yet stylish living its a place to stay. Do not expect getting water delivered on your room or even towels for shower. I guess some bad reviews came from travellers who expect like a boutique hotel-like living, but then again hostel living is really at par and way better than other guesthouse near the area. Apart from it's accessibility with Fortress Hill MRT station and other food shops and stall. WiFi use is really fast! and the interior is well kept with the vibrant color that reflects HK. I even met and get close with CiCi Yau one of the front desk and nicest person i met in HK. So, with this being said i really recommend this hostel if you want to cut some budget yet getting lost in HongKong.

Room Tip: Here is a tip, if you opted to travel by yourself, there is an option for single ensuite for you to...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family