“Gets Mixed Reviews but We Liked it!”
Review of West Hotel

West Hotel
Ranked #253 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Ireland
“Gets Mixed Reviews but We Liked it!”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We spent two nights here after a 3 week holiday through China. Having read the reviews on TA, I wasnt expecting too much, but was pleasantly surprised. The location was excellent, close to the transportation system, so you are an easy ride from HK Island. The hotel is a no frills business style hotel, but it was perfectly fine for us. The rooms were small (we were on the 8th floor), but perfectly adequate, and come with en-suite. I do have to agree with all the reviewers that yes, the beds are hard!! But having slept on hard beds for most of our time in China, we were used to it, so it was fine. Rooms come with TV (you may be lucky and find an english speaking channel) and WIFI is available in the lobby or one floor up, in the business centre (it has better signal). Kowloon Station is very close, maybe a 10min walk, and at that station you can check your bags in for your international flights - means you dont have to use the hotels left luggage, or carry your bags around with you.....and when you get to the airport, there is NO check in, its great!!! From Kowloon Station you can go anywhere, so its a good location for exploring HK and neighbouring Islands.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlanMerrins

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 14 November 2012

The hotel is handily placed for the night market and is about 10 minutes from 2 subway lines and 25 mins from Kowloon Airport express. Its a bit difficult to find and there are steps on the way from the station; best get a taxi from Kowloon.
The room was clean and larger than expected with views over the harbour. The carpet was grubby though and the bathroom was very small. There is free internet downstairs.
The beds were very hard and i slept poorly. The air conditioning had only 1 setting, full on or off. The shower went cold befor i had finished on 2 of the 3 mornings i was there. I think it was the time of day as the first morning i was up much earlier. I would prefer to not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2012

This hotel was a welcome surpise and great value for money. it was perfectly located at a 10 second walk from the tube station and a short walk to many of the main attractions in kowloon such us sky 100. The rooms were surprisingly spacious and clean with a really nice bathroom.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank lily3336
Pasig, Rizal, Philippines
Reviewed 23 October 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights. The location was close to Austin MTR station, restaurants, convenience stores, and the night market. The hotel staff were welcoming but can hardly speak English so it's quite a challenge to talk to them.

I stayed in a superior room. It was clean, well-lighted, and smells fresh. The bathroom is quite small though. There's also no wifi. The hotel provides paid wired internet in the room and free wifi only at the hotel lobby.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Bonn
Reviewed 10 October 2012

The hotel was great value, and a lovely place to stay. It was convenient for a walk around the main sites in Hong Kong and straight away we had a good feeling for downtown, as it was near the night market and some good restaurants. At the same time the hotel was quiet and comfortable - and we were lucky enough to have a great view.
We actually visited as part of a trip (G Adventures) which gave us a really good introduction to a lot of local places in a number of cities in China, from Yangshuo to Beijing. I wish I was still there, meeting local people, tasting yummy food and being wowed by that wonderful country. Our super cool, fun, smart and patient tour guide Howard really helped us find our way. Thanks so much! It was the trip of a lifetime. Enjoy China, we found it a wonderful place.

Room Tip: We were on the 22nd floor and I could see the harbour and I thought it was great
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Torquay, Australia
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Stayed for 3 nights recently. Hotel is located in a good location, 100 metres from Austin MTR station, which makes it very easy to get around Hong Kong. Hotel is just off Jordan Rd & near to Nathan Rd if you don't mind walking. Plenty of shops & restaurants within walking distance too. The rooms are clean but quite basic. No bottled water or room safe supplied. Also no breakfast offered, but plenty of places to eat near by. Hong Kong accommodation is quite expensive so if you don't mind staying a short distance from all the action, then this is an okay place to stay.

Room Tip: Good view from room 2101. Beds are quite firm (as with most beds in China) & small.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Jimmel
Paranaque
Reviewed 10 June 2012

West hotel was booked by our travel agent not knowing that it is not a decent place to stay ESP if you have your family along for the holiday. Here are the reasons:
1. Not enough non- smoking rooms. I was surprised that they didn't anticipate that a family like ours can never have a smoking room or floor to stay. We had to endure the night coughing very now & then and with my youngest girl having another attack of asthma after a long time.
2. Reception can speak 2-3 English words max. And prob understand only 3-4 english words also. Need I tell more?
3. I dont think they even have their own dining area. I may be wrong, but I didn't see any after staying for 3 nights. They also don't advertise, recommend or simply say anything about it. So I assume there is none.
3. If there's a hotel for patients suffering from scoliosis wherein the recommendation is a firm wooden bed with some thickened sheets or comforter on top, then stay in this hotel! I remember sleeping in hard beds like these whenever I stay in the remote provinces here in the Philippines, inside huts and primitive houses of my relatives who live simple lives. It is simple living back in those days! Imagine, I was able to relive it!!!
4. Bell service is non- existent in this hotel. Go up to your room and go down with all your luggages ON YOUR OWN.
5. Concierge is also non existent in this hotel. If ever, the reception will make up for the vacuum, but their not good at it either!
6. This hotel is compliant with the worldwide campaign to reduce the use of bottled water bec they serve their complimentary water in a plastic pitcher inside the ref. Where this came from, I have no idea....
7. My universal adapter had a small part broken while I was inserting the power cord of my handycam. So the solution? West hotel sells adaptors, no lending or renting! You can only buy!
8. The shower has a mind of it's own! Just be sure that if you have a small child, don't let him/ her shower on her own! A 3rd degree burn is a real and possible consequence.
9. Even if our booking from the travel agency indicates that we are getting a family room, West hotel keeps on giving out supplies good for 2 people only. When we ask for additional for our family of 5, the next day the same thing happens- supply for only 2 people! I dunno what to make of it!!!
10. When we asked for our luggage to be stored as we checked out and waited for our transfer to TST, the reception requested me to just throw it in their security room doubling as luggage storage. Luggage were piled on top of one another like soiled clothes. I took the queue and placed it neatly by myself just to save the integrity of my luggage.
Bec of all these, I won't ever go back to this hotel. Offer me a billion dollars and I will reconsider.

Room Tip: I think there's no good room at all in this hotel, if all other room are similar to the 2 rooms...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family