“Nice guesthouse, cheap with great location.”

Maple Leaf Guest House
Ranked #223 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 13 April 2012

Chung King Mansion where Maple Leaf is located is in the centre of the city, next to Tsim Sha Tsui MTR. The people at the entrance may looks intimidating but just say no and they will not bother you.

The room : small (HK standard) but very clean with WIFI connection. Flat Screen TV with multiple channels. Bed was good but little bit hard. The bathroom is clean with hot shower. Good enough for both of us.

Stay here for 3 nights. No complaint. Good hostel with great location!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank azrul

Reviewed 7 April 2012

The building is located in the center of the city, next to subway, but the entrance level is a multicultural market which can be scary.
Print the guesthouse details to be able to find it as the building is large with a few different staircases.
After passing the common area of the building the room is a nice surprise: small (HK standard) but very clean, nice WIFI connection. It's not a hostel, so don't expect common area.
From the airport - if you are not in hurry - you may take the direct bus.
The best choice if you are on a budget trip and you want a private room.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ben77777
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I spent a few days in Hong Kong, and decided to rest my tired head here. The room i was staying in, was not the largest but that did not concern me, cause the room was clean, had a fan, ac unit, shower with hot running water and tv. Did not watch the tv at all. The guest housr also had wifi.

The staff where friendly and very helpful, in terms of telling me about the sights and also places to eat and dishes to try!!

In terms of location, it is on Nathan rd, with is a busy and lively road. A short walk and you are at Star perry, in time to watch the light show and it is also near public transport.

I found the guest house to be safe and clean. Safe because of the reputation Chung king mansion has.

I will be staying here again.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 January 2012

Some reviews made me apprehensive about booking the Maple Leaf Guest House in the Chung King Mansions but my four nights there were very fine. Yes, the CKM has a reputation but my experience in no way was negative.

The location is superb. It is only a short walk to the Star Ferry pier with the bus from the airport stopping right in front of the building. Equally convenient is the subway. The Tsim Sha Tsui station is but steps from the entrance on Nathan.

For those who fear the touts, there really is nothing to fear. Just walk with conviction, say "no thank you" if they attempt to divert you to a different establishment and maintain your civility. All will be well.

I did purchase a SIM card immediately upon my arrival and that propreitor pointed me in the direction of elevator E and presto, I was on the 12th floor and being greeted by the very courteous Miss Lee.

Regarding the rooms, I stayed in a single. The rooms was quite small but impeccably clean with tile covering the floor and all walls (much more easily cleaned than carpet). The bed was a single but more than adequate for yours truly. The room had no windows but that didn't bother me as I was there only to sleep after a long day of seeing the sites. The room had an effective air conditioner, television set, telephone and a variety of AC plugs including the U-ground of North America that I required.

The washroom .... yes, you have a private washroom ... was small and was really just a large shower stall in which was situated a a toilet and sink. The water heater was of the tankless type that you turned on about 30 seconds before you began your shower and turned off when finished. The only trick is ensuring that you did all your "business" before your shower so as to avoid wet feet but hey, it all works.

Their are a pair of elevators for each tower in the Chung King Mansions. One elevator handles even numbered floors, the other the odd numbered floors. There are of course stairs as well so you can take the other elevator and walk up or down one flight if you so choose.

There is plenty of shopping on the ground floor of the CKM. It can be a bit intimidating but it can also be a lot of fun. Many food choices too although as I was eating on my adventures, I usually only bought a few vegi samosas, from a vendor by my elevator, for a late snack up in my room.

So, in conclusion, if you need only a sleeping space and are looking for a nice price, this establishment should suit you well. My only regret is that I stayed in HK for only four nights. I should have done seven. If and when I return to HK for a part two of my explorations, I will certainly consider this establishment depending on just what my requirements might be at the time.

I would also have no problem recommending it to any budget travellers that need a clean and convenient place to stay.

db

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank David B
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Beside gotta entrance sort of the little Indian (dirty/ hot/ smell stincky) before entring to the guesthouse.
Maple leaf guesthouse is nice 'n clean!! The staff is friendly! I did mistake booking wrong dates - they tried to help me out. Good location for shopping/ MTR just about 3 mins walk/ easy for grab food

• Stayed: December 2011
4  Thank gleaming
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Chunking Mansions aside, the guest house is very clean and safe. The owner is very helpful, we got a free map, free hot and cold water. There was a lock and a chain on the door, plus a locked door into the guesthouse. Wifi and cable tv in the room, which was cleaned every day and was spotless. A bit small but that's Hong Kong. Price was a bit high but that's because there was a convention in the city. We would definitely return!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Anfisa55
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Me and my friend stayed there for 5 nights in early Oct 2011,yes it's very small even for a petite girls like us. But hey,it's Hong kong,when space is limited and expensive, so yes we are very fortunate we have a small frame so we fit nicely with this hostel.For us the important things is clean bed and bathroom.
They clean the room and change the towel everyday. We can refill our mineral water for free and the owner is very helpful and friendly.
The free wifi is a bit sucks, maybe because my room is a bit far from their front desk.*sigh*
And the chungking mansion itself is a bit scary if you are a girl traveler. Had a scary moment with some Indian and African men who were following us because they know we only 2girls traveler,but thanks God there's a cctv camera inside the lift and once we arrived in our floor we were okay and safe. My opinion is do not make eye contact to them and always keep the number of the owner for emergency :(
But as I said before this hostel is very good but as for Chungking mansion as long as you have male friend with you then this place is very recommended :)

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends