“Good value in TST area”

Ranked #80 of 262 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
Brussels, Belgium
“Good value in TST area”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This was my 3rd stay with Ashoka in 2 years. The rooms are ridiculously small, but that's to be expected in HK. Other than that, they are functional and clean, and despite the bustling streets, the rooms are quiet.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank waterzooi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Booked via hostelworld, and just like the owners and everyone says, it's hard to find the entrance...especially with the hordes of thieves hanging around the area telling you you've booked with them...haha. But, you can hardly beat the location basically right at TST subway station.

The owner owns this and Delta hostel. Very friendly and straight-forward. The elevator situation is somewhat annoying (one for even floors, a different for odd floors, long lines for both at all critical times). The room was clean, but very very small (before this, I only stayed in hotel in Hong Kong...so this might be normal). Everything worked, and I checked out 15min late to the owners "reminder" I was only supposed to stay until 11:30am. :)

Id recommend a hostel for light travelers, especially solo. But, I think you can find cheaper than this place for similar or better value.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank rybickij
Kawasaki, Japan
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

The rooms were tidy and clean ( at least seemingly ). The towels were creplaced and the rooms were cleaned out everyday. The staff were friendly and very considerate.
The location was very close to the ferry terminal, night market, and was only a stone's throw away from the harbor whose view is so marvelous, esp at night.
Only problem was that my room had a family of cockroaches with their mommas, papas, children and perhaps grandparents, cousins and "ants".
The toilet wouldn't flush well either.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Toru O
Luzon, Philippines
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The Management is nice, but the rooms are small. However, they are so kind to give us the best room that has the nice view from the window. The location is nice too, since it's located near the Victoria Harbor (Walking Distance) and the subway station (Tsim Tsa Tsui Station)

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that has a nice view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MangKanor
Dublin
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Do not stay at this Hostel, they are thieves, I made a mistake in my booking through Booking.com and accidently booked twice for the same dates, the money was taken from my account and I spoke to the Manager there who assured me that the money would be refunded back to my account and confirmed that he had received both payments to the company account but I had to do it through Booking.com, I advised booking.com about the situation and they wrote to me to advise that the Hotel had refused to pay me back the money for the 2nd booking. Of course at this stage I had left Hong Kong so could not talk to them. Its €250 and now I wont use booking.com again either, its not safe. This Hostel should not be reccomended through any website. Its is bad for the reputation of booking.com.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Dohedi

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights. The staff was very nice. The room was clean, but very small. The room was about 9 m2, the bathroom included.
But if you're there just to sleep, this is not a problem.
The room was cleaned every day. There were clean towels every day.
The hostel was located very well. It was located in the center of Hong Kong.

We had to leave the room in the morning, but we could drop our suitcase in a locked room. All rooms were protected very well, incleven the hallways to the rooms.

I recommend this hostel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Danielle F
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Ashoka hostel is indeed a hostel without integrity. We requested for cancellation about 2 weeks before arrival and asked the hostel if we would incur any cancellation charges but received no response from the hostel. Another follow-up email was also sent few days later. There was no response too. We discovered later that the hostel had deducted 3 nights stay from the credit card! We called to clarify matters but the hostel insisted about its one month cancellation notice. Yes we might have overlooked this but the hostel should at least have the initiative to respond and answered our query that yes, we will incur the total cost of stay for no-show. If the hostel had replied our email, we would not have cancelled it. We feel so cheated as it seems that the hostel had intended not to reply so that when we do not show up, they can earn the total reservation costs of 3 nights!! We will avoid this hostel like a plague. Please be forewarned if you intend to get yourself in this mess!

• Stayed May 2013