“Good budget option” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #71 of 245 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
Munich, Germany
“Good budget option”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

For Hong Kong, as the most expensive city I have visited so far, the Ashoka offers a good price quality ratio. We stayed there for 3 nights and got randomly a free upgrade for our room, which was pretty nice with a good view. So we had a little bit more space and got an own bathroom. Else wise everything is a little bit small, but that was kind of to expect from the most vertical city of the world. As it is located in the 13 floor and there's always a queue for the elevator you have to wait sometimes a little bit. The stuff was partly friendly, but that's maybe basically a Hong Kong thing not to be too friendly... The room was clean, the service good and we felt pretty safe at that spot.
The location of the guesthouse is good, the MTR station TST is not far, some nice bars are nearby and the pier for a beautiful night view on the skyline is worth it to walk there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daontour

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stay at Ashoka Guesthouse for 2 nights and it was a very good experience to me,very easy to find and look for, friendly staff as well, room maintenance is acceptable as it was a guest house, I'd stay in a mixed room which is perfect to me to meet a new companions and friends. the building location was in good location where you can find everything you wanted to see when you get out of the guest house even more convenient because of the variety of services offered down the lobby area, it is very near to avenue of stars meters away you can reach one of the most tourist attraction.

Room Tip: corner rooms are quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Fernz B
Yokohama, Japan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I stayed in a mixed dormitory room. I can't say it was a cozy place. However, the location was good to go out anywhere because it's close to the station. The room had own toilet/shower room, but it's not so clean and hot water didn't last longer. The worst thing was that I found cockroach on the wall when I waked up. I have never stayed at any other hostel in HK so I could not judge if this hostel deserved the cost, but personally speaking, I would never come back to this place.

Room Tip: The place for a traveller who wants to save budget
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Shenzhen, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

This Ashoka Website promised an ensuite room with microwave, refrigerator, desk, seating area, and Bathtub. We had to pay a key deposit, but they still refused to give my fiancee a key. They moved us up several floors to "Delta" There was one frig in a hallway for 20 rooms, no microwave. They never entered our room to empty trash, never changed towels or sheets. Never gave us toilet paper. We could barely move. There was no desk. No window screens. We had to grab a mop from the hallway, clean our own room, and take toilet paper from an empty room. They left dirty laundry and trash right next to the hallway refrigerator. I understand "small" but do not lie to get people there. We left early

Room Tip: Find another hotel that tells the truth
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Grusaka
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

Anywhere else in the world I would have hated Ashoka - in Hong Kong it was a godsend. It's very much a budget hotel, but you'd be hard pressed to find better digs for the same price. You stay in ChungKing Mansion for the experience, and I was a little aprehensive given its reputation. However I never felt at risk here. The lift is very close to the entrance so you don't have to go too deep (although expect to wait up to 15 minutes for the lift since there's always a line), and there's always something at the reception of Ashoka.
Room is small - fits 3 people and the wiring is...iffy. My light switch had to be tapped a few times to go on, but never saw any insects and the bed was clean. Also had a small locker for my valuables, and a pretty spectacular view from my window. The shower was also surprisingly powerful - I'd expected much worse.
I was only in Hong Kong for 2 nights, and not sure I'd recommend staying here for a long trip, but if you want to stay at ChungKing or just need a few nights while watching your budget, Ashoka Guest House is a pretty good option.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Muntinlupa, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

My friends and I went to HK a couple of months ago. We wanted to get a cheap hotel and so we ended up booking in a hostel. Upon reading reviews of Ashoka, we were kind of hesitant to continue but we just kept saying that it will be a new experience.

Our stay in Ashoka really was an experience. The outside building was surrounded with shady people offering trips of some sort. As for our 2 rooms we got, it was clean. The owner and staff are very nice and we felt really safe since they have cctvs and automated locks to access the hallway leading up to our rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Dani S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Very budget stay, paid RM400 for 7nights stay.. chungking mansion did not provide a secure feeling but the place is definitely safe... nice room, courteous staff... near mtr stations, and also minutes walk away from star pier

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo