“Worst service I have ever come across on 6 continents.”

Backpackers Hostel Hong Kong
Ranked #119 of 157 Speciality Lodging in Hong Kong
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Worst service I have ever come across on 6 continents.”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Horrendous! Where do I begin? So, to begin with, they tried to charge me a lot more than their online price. Then they showed me to a few disgusting rooms (had booked 3 bed dorm), where the bed hadn't been remade from the previous checkout or the person had not yet checked out. Finally settled on a slightly nicer 4 bed dorm (for which they tried to charge me the same price initially). After two nights, I asked whether the bathrooms were going to be cleaned (in the dorm room) and was told only when the whole dorm has checked out even though it hadn't been properly cleaned in weeks! Staff/cleaners walked in without knocking at all times of the day, sometimes just to take a shortcut to other rooms often shouting loudly at others/into their phone regardless of time. Everyday, I was asked to change dorm rooms as other people in my dorm may have checked out (even though I had booked for several days). In one case, they wasted an hour of my time showing/finding another room (in one of their many buildings), making me pack and other admin stuff only to tell me I could stay in my original dorm room afterall. The last straw came with the following... a friend came to visit but we were put in separate dorm rooms due to different day of arrival. We went out one night and when we returned early the next morning, went to his dorm room to collect some stuff, by which point it was raining heavily. So I napped in his bed till it eased (I was in a different building). When he also came into the dorm room (there were other people there too) a member of staff walked unannounced into the dorm and watched us for a while. Later that afternoon I was told I would have to leave as there were no beds available (although I had already been told I could stay in the same dorm the next night, and there were two beds free). When my friend asked if there was a private we could move into in that case he was told, 'no, you can use the Internet to find a room somewhere else). After arguing, they said they would put me into a fully occupied 10 bed dorm for the same price as a 4 bed very rudely at which point I refused to give them any more of my money and left. My friend had unfortunately paid the full amount and had to stay the following night also. For all this, it is one of the more expensive hostels with a ridiculously bad wifi connection. Only the location was good. AVOID!

• Stayed July 2014
6 Thank SumeraFarooq

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Booked a single room. This was one of the worst backpackers rooms I have ever seen. A poor quality kids mattress base was it and this was wet from the humidity. There was no mattress so you are to sleep on the base. Door would not lock & leaking AC. I walked in then walked out of room to reception and demanded my money back. Had an argument with manager but finally he refunded. Be careful if you book online. Best to turn up and see if the room is up to scratch and then pay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Bluesea4me

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Singapore
Reviewed 2 February 2014

A cheap and clean stay. Don't expect too much from the hostel as the room is small and cramped. And please remember to bring along essential items. For e.g: towels, soap, toothbrushes and etc. A convenient location, 5 mins walk to Causeway Bay MTR ( subway) and a 20 mins cab ride to Lai Kwai Fong. Interesting bedding because it feels like I'm sleeping on top of plank but if it doesn't bother you that much, I think this is the place for you.

Overall, I recommend the hostel to, on-the-go and no fuss traveller. Adding on, they have friendly and helpful reception. And the common room is a nice place to socialise and make new friends.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RaudhaJannah
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The place was nice enough, probably would have been nicer if we could have opened the windows. We stayed in a four person dorm, very clean albeit a bit on the claustrophobic on stifling side. This dorm was in the corner of a larger, eight person dorm which was rather smelly. Like somebody was hiding cheese somewhere. Might just have been a really, really smelly pair of shoes, but an open window would have been a life saver. Staff was very friendly though.

Room Tip: Try smelling the rooms before you decide
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 8 November 2013

The setup here is that the building is a high-rise apartment building and rooms have been converted into hostels. The common area is a very small office looks like two apartments that were gutted out so its small. Now since I was a single traveler i had to move between rooms for my weeklong stay here. They were constantly reshuffling I guess to accommodate larger groups that wanted to stay together. As for the location the area in the causeway bay around all the high end shopping centers. Since I wanted to eat cheap had to leave the area to find other places to eat. Right across the street was a well stocked grocery store which i went in there a lot to pickup snacks, fruits, and drinks. It was very near an MTR(subway) station so made it easy for me to get around

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Hoben01
Munster, Germany
Reviewed 5 November 2009

cheap and savety place with good rooms and a clean bathroom. You can find it directly in the shopping district Causway Bay on Hong Kong Island! Cute reception guy!

Stayed May 2009, travelled solo