“terrible”
Review of Hong Kong Hostel

Hong Kong Hostel
Ranked #285 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I rang up on the phone to book because I couldnt see where to pay online. I asked for a room with a double bed and a tv. They said they had that available. I gave them my visa card details. When I went to check in they had no more double beds or rooms with tv. they would not offer me a discount but instead told me that 'people that book online get first priority.'
I ended up with a single bed room. No furniture in room except for bedside table. No hot water despite being told it would. argggg.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank macau62
There are newer reviews for Hong Kong Hostel

Reviewed 13 May 2013

i have read many bad reviews about this hostel. not just here, but also in another site before i book this hostel. But because the price is so cheap, i just continue my booking cause i'm really on low budget when come to hong kong. i book a 6 bed mix dorm for 3 nights. and this is also my first time to hongkong. so i also book this hostel because the location is very close to MTR. you only need 3 minutes to walk from MTR to this hostel. actually, this is not look like a hostel, cause you can't find any sign that tell this is a hostel. You only will see the address 47 paterson Street on the way in. the staff is great, the price is also reasonable in hong kong. i thing this is a nice place to stay. they have good room, good bathroom, and fast wifi.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Dedy I
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Liked: great location, clean, helpful staff, value for money This is a great place to stay for the amount of money you spend. Its location is everything! The rooms arent that nice, so its literally a place to sleep at night. Very basic...but you have all the necessities like hot water, toilet, clean room, shower, bed. Dont expect anything more. I would stay again in the future as its so close to everything and easy access to taxis, bus, and metro. Staff wasnt overly friendly but they werent rude as many hostel employees can be! They answered any questions I had about getting around the city.

Disliked: very basic, zero frills. hard beds (like many places in mainland China). no internet in many rooms. a little run down. If you want a nice room, dont stay here. Pictures look nothing like the rooms, which was a little misleading. They had no running water for about an hour when we got there, but they fixed it quickly.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2013

For my third time in HOngkong, we chose to stay at this hostel. We stayed here for more than a week.

Getting there was easy since it was just a few blocks away from the bus stop (we took bus A11 from the aiport and got off at the 14th stop - near Sogo Department store).

The first thing we noticed when we got there was the sign from the association of paterson building owners that says that guesthouses in their buildings are operating illegally. This worried me a bit but thankfully, nothing happened during our stay there.

Since we are a big group, we were given 3 rooms in 1 flat located at the 3rd floor of another building - Kingstons Building - which is just across Paterson building.

When we saw our rooms, we were satisfied since the rooms were a bit clean, each room has a bathroom with hot/cold water. There is a water dispenser for use by all the rooms and also a mini fridge.

The location is good. It is just a few blocks from the MTR station, bus stop, taxi stand and tram station. It is also a few steps away from Wellcome supermarket which is open 24 hours.

The staff with glasses was ok. She can express herself in english so she was helpful when we asked for some information. The owner was also ok but appeared a little drunk when he talks. But they have this one girl staff who was a bit rude. She was having a hard time explaining herself in english when I was asking for some information so she just brushed me off - not good. not good at all!

Overall, our stay there was satisfying. We were able to get enough sleep, the a/c was working, the water was refilled daily and the rooms were cleaned daily.

PS. We're Asians so the size of the room, the bed and the bathroom was okay for us.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ap0lz
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Couldn't get warm water from the hostel - mouse was waking me up middle of the night, the staff is really weird. Just don't go there! Really good location- but you will find some other hostels near by too.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This hostel is odd to say the least. It is separated into mutliple buildings so it is hard to get that connection with fellow travellers as in our case our rooms were across the road from the shared facilities. The rooms are clean but the mattress (if you can call it that, I think it was just the ensemble base) is as hard as concrete. There were no windows so its all fairly dark and make sure you check your air con. Mine worked but was still hot at best but some of my group had excellent air con.
The staff are not particularly helpful and seemed to wear the same clothes day in day out.
Another thing we found during our trip was that it was hard to find. I found a number of backpackers wandering outside and had to guide them were the entrance was.
However the location on Hong Kong island is easy to access and was just off the trainline.
If I was to hostel in Hong Kong again, I would try somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bigcat84
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights during chinese new year as part of a 4 month trip travelling around China and south east asia.

When we arrived we were greeted by a rude male member of the staff, he bluntly told us, after a while of him rummaging through a box of keys, that the room we had booked was not available and that for one night we would have to stay in a different room and then have to move the next day...not a great start. The temporary room was tiny (but this something you have to expect in Hong Kong!), hot water lasted for no time at all and the window was broken meaning a cold draft constantly came through, the air conditioning unit did not have a heat setting either. These things would not normally bother us however, this hostel is not cheap and so we expected a little more! After two nights in the temporary room, we were woken up early one morning by the cleaner letting herself into our room and demanding that we needed to change rooms now! We ended up changing to a room with a shared bathroom, which would have been fine if we hadn't of paid for a room with our own bathroom! On the plus side the room was bigger and the environment much more social.

The wifi worked one day out of the 6 days we were there! There were 3 free computers to use in the 'communal' area on 3rd floor...one worked but every time we tried to use it we were pushed out by the family that ran the hostel as they use the communal room to eat meals and generally dominate the space!

One day, my boyfriend went down to the reception level to ask something and saw a young woman in tears, the staff were insisting she needed to pay for her room but she had apparently already done so. Since we received no receipt of payment on check in, we began to worry!

Perhaps the most bizarre and worrying thing about this poorly run hostel is that it goes under many different names...Hong Kong hostel, Comfort Inn, Fuji hostel plus a few more. The reception area is called Hong Kong hostel and every level of rooms has a different hostel name. And...every guesthouse liscense we could see around the building was out of date.

I could go on but I will leave it there. My boyfriend and I are well versed in travel, we are not the kind of people who expect 5 star treatment from a youth hostel or moan over little insignificant things...we also never leave reviews but felt so compelled by our awful experience that we couldn't not review it! This hostel truly is the most poorly run establishment and I would not recommend it to anyone! The staff are rude, the rooms and facilities are average at best and there is no vibe or atmosphere that you would hope for from a hostel.

Stay away!