“Right in the thick of it!”
Review of Hong Kong Hostel

Hong Kong Hostel
Ranked #293 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Newcastle and Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Right in the thick of it!”
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I flew in from Chengdu and arrived at HKG airport quite late at night. I knew the direction I needed to go and found myself on Paterson Street. However from there it was a bit more difficult to locate. There wasn't many signs indicating that the hotel was above a row of shops and you needed to get the elevator to get to the reception. Finally after about 45 minuets of walking up and down the street trying to find the entrance and get to the reception, I was laughing! I booked myself in and was given a key to my single en-suite room. It was small, as to be expected in the majority of asia but it was brilliant. Shower over the toilet, another normal for asia. The walls were a bit thin at times and I could hear a lot of noise from the other rooms but to be honest, you are smack bang in the middle of Causeway Bay. It is perfect for its location! I paid for a single room because it was a lot less cheaper than getting a hotel room!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I rang up on the phone to book because I couldnt see where to pay online. I asked for a room with a double bed and a tv. They said they had that available. I gave them my visa card details. When I went to check in they had no more double beds or rooms with tv. they would not offer me a discount but instead told me that 'people that book online get first priority.'
I ended up with a single bed room. No furniture in room except for bedside table. No hot water despite being told it would. argggg.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank macau62

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 13 May 2013

i have read many bad reviews about this hostel. not just here, but also in another site before i book this hostel. But because the price is so cheap, i just continue my booking cause i'm really on low budget when come to hong kong. i book a 6 bed mix dorm for 3 nights. and this is also my first time to hongkong. so i also book this hostel because the location is very close to MTR. you only need 3 minutes to walk from MTR to this hostel. actually, this is not look like a hostel, cause you can't find any sign that tell this is a hostel. You only will see the address 47 paterson Street on the way in. the staff is great, the price is also reasonable in hong kong. i thing this is a nice place to stay. they have good room, good bathroom, and fast wifi.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Dedy I
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Liked: great location, clean, helpful staff, value for money This is a great place to stay for the amount of money you spend. Its location is everything! The rooms arent that nice, so its literally a place to sleep at night. Very basic...but you have all the necessities like hot water, toilet, clean room, shower, bed. Dont expect anything more. I would stay again in the future as its so close to everything and easy access to taxis, bus, and metro. Staff wasnt overly friendly but they werent rude as many hostel employees can be! They answered any questions I had about getting around the city.

Disliked: very basic, zero frills. hard beds (like many places in mainland China). no internet in many rooms. a little run down. If you want a nice room, dont stay here. Pictures look nothing like the rooms, which was a little misleading. They had no running water for about an hour when we got there, but they fixed it quickly.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 5 April 2013

For my third time in HOngkong, we chose to stay at this hostel. We stayed here for more than a week.

Getting there was easy since it was just a few blocks away from the bus stop (we took bus A11 from the aiport and got off at the 14th stop - near Sogo Department store).

The first thing we noticed when we got there was the sign from the association of paterson building owners that says that guesthouses in their buildings are operating illegally. This worried me a bit but thankfully, nothing happened during our stay there.

Since we are a big group, we were given 3 rooms in 1 flat located at the 3rd floor of another building - Kingstons Building - which is just across Paterson building.

When we saw our rooms, we were satisfied since the rooms were a bit clean, each room has a bathroom with hot/cold water. There is a water dispenser for use by all the rooms and also a mini fridge.

The location is good. It is just a few blocks from the MTR station, bus stop, taxi stand and tram station. It is also a few steps away from Wellcome supermarket which is open 24 hours.

The staff with glasses was ok. She can express herself in english so she was helpful when we asked for some information. The owner was also ok but appeared a little drunk when he talks. But they have this one girl staff who was a bit rude. She was having a hard time explaining herself in english when I was asking for some information so she just brushed me off - not good. not good at all!

Overall, our stay there was satisfying. We were able to get enough sleep, the a/c was working, the water was refilled daily and the rooms were cleaned daily.

PS. We're Asians so the size of the room, the bed and the bathroom was okay for us.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ap0lz
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Couldn't get warm water from the hostel - mouse was waking me up middle of the night, the staff is really weird. Just don't go there! Really good location- but you will find some other hostels near by too.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This hostel is odd to say the least. It is separated into mutliple buildings so it is hard to get that connection with fellow travellers as in our case our rooms were across the road from the shared facilities. The rooms are clean but the mattress (if you can call it that, I think it was just the ensemble base) is as hard as concrete. There were no windows so its all fairly dark and make sure you check your air con. Mine worked but was still hot at best but some of my group had excellent air con.
The staff are not particularly helpful and seemed to wear the same clothes day in day out.
Another thing we found during our trip was that it was hard to find. I found a number of backpackers wandering outside and had to guide them were the entrance was.
However the location on Hong Kong island is easy to access and was just off the trainline.
If I was to hostel in Hong Kong again, I would try somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends