“Not recommended!”

Ranked #508 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Berlin, Germany
“Not recommended!”
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Don't visit this hostel. There a lot's of better ones in Hongkong. This one belongs to the famous Chungking Mansion in Kowloon. That means, that the whole first floor is a huge market place with shops and risky purchases, that is open all night long. So if you want to stay with family or kids this would be the wrong decision. The rooms are very very tiny and not clean at all. You have to pass a very small hall to get to the place. And after all its very very loudy! Don't stay here!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank CMS00

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Thai first
Croydon
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Ok I'm going a bit strong but the single room I had in this "hotel" was tiny. The shower shared space with the toilet. The location was very convenient though and we didn't waste a lot of time staying in the hotel but if we'd been forced to spend more time there it would have been miserable. 5 nights was just about bearable and the only reason we didn't try and find somewhere else was because it would have eaten into our trip and we consoled ourselves that we were saving money on our 3 week trip and we were right on top of everything.

On arrival it was quite a shock to have to battle through irritating salesmen (why the hell do they think you want to consider buying something when you are struggling with bags?) and then the crowded market place which was full of Pakistanis and Nigerians (not visible anywhere else in HK by the way) peddling all sorts of electrical goods and mobile phone paraphenalia. There was then a tiny lift which you had to queue for up to the floor of the hotel. Lucky Hostel was on the 15th although we were originally advised it was on the 12th and so we had to lug our bags up to the 15th. Despite all this I didn't feel unsafe and they seemed to have quite good security in the building and CCTVs for the lift. I'm not sure how safe it was from a fire point of view.

An interesting experience and a source for some amusing stories but not one I'd repeat. If you're on a tight budget then maybe it's just right but if I re-visited HK I'd look for something a little more luxurious.

I should add that my friend complained about towels not being replaced and was told indignantly by the reception that it was a "cheap hotel" and he shouldn't expect such service. I'm not sure what amused me more the comment or the look on my friend's face.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
15 Thank SurreyGrahame
Amy C, Owner at Lucky Hostel, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
We are brand new budget hostel,and located in Chung King Mansion where favored by many budget travelers due to it's cheap accommodation and central location in Hong Kong.Due to the valued land in Hong Kong,budget hostel room are small,but room are clean and with private bathroom,free internet access,air-condition,fan,television,telephone,fan,towel and slipper.Our check-in time is 12:30PM - 01:30AM,and Check-our time is before 12:00 noon.The building ground floor which is not belong to us and for building management,there are so many shops like money exchange,baggage,restaurant as well.There are many people to make shopping and make the ground floor so crowed,but actually is very safe and no crime in our building.Money exchange are much money in the shop,but they are still running properly.Your comment are very important for us to improve our service,and we are welcome to serving yours next time.

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I had booked this "hotel" through Asiarooms.com (do not use this site, photos and accommodations are unverified). I got it because it was cheap and the photos on the hotel room seemed ok. I did not find any bad review when I initially looked it up. The "hotel" is one of a dozen "hotels" renting space at the "Chung King Mansions". This is one building located in downtown Kowloon. The first floor is a market place with seedy shops and risky purchases, open late at night. NOT for family or even for backpackers unless you are there for the seedy side of Hong Kong. Basically, any establishment for rent in Chung King Mansion is not a safe bet.

I booked for Hong Kong Lucky Hotel in Asiarooms, we got there at around 12:30am. I was not as uncomfortable with the shady 1st floor only because I am from New York city, but I felt bad for the rest of my group and in-laws who were scared to say the least. I found the reception after navigating through 4 elevator bays of poor signages. The "receptionist" was some bum who was asleep on the desk. He was pissed that I woke him up. He argued why I did not note in my reservation email that I was coming in at a late hour. I was astounded by the jerk and was starting to argue already when my mother-in-law asked me to let it go, that we'll just leave in the morning. We went in and waited, then another bum whom he called up on the phone takes us back out to another "hotel" in the same building, back into one of the other elevators we left. He gives us a "better" room than we booked, so he says. I asked for two suites, and I tell my folks to wait for me on the first room. The first room, instead of what was in the photo, was worse than a hospital room. It had two single beds, the whole room about 2m x 3m. Just imagine 2 beds in an L-shape with just room to stand in the middle. A bathroom was there. Sheets felt unclean, there WAS NO HEAT and the blankets were too thin. The other room was worse. I walked to it and found staff sleeping on the floor. it reeked of homeless folks on the subway. I went back to my folks and said we'll just stay together in that one room and leave first light in the morning.

The building is also a high fire hazard. Swindling at the ground floor maket place is very likely as well. we found guesthouses that same morning a few streets away, with much nicer staff and clean accommodations. Size of the room is same (small) but it's part of being in Hong Kong. I think it was not the room size itself that pissed me off, it was the environment in that shady "hotel".

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Chris_travelling_out
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2010

We had booked 2 rooms in this "hotel" for October 2008. Whilst it is located directly in the city centre, the Chungking Mansions are not the place where you feel safe and comfortable. Dodgy salesmen at the entrance and a crowded marketplace on the ground floor where you should watch your belongings.

Taking the elevator up to the hotel and you get out into the lobby which didn't look too bad. The reception desk was alright, we were led to a room and straight away thought this is a joke. A room where the beds just fit into the square space, no window, and a bathroom that contained toilet and sink.. asking where the en suite shower was he pointed at a shower head at the ceiling.. which means the whole bathroom was your shower cabinet.. no thank you.
I have to say that I could not have slept one night in there.. Fire safety seems to be of no matter there, I don't want to start thinking what would happen if a fire started in this complex.

We walked out again and checked into the hotel we stayed in the last time, the Panda Hotel.. not as close to the centre but probably one of the best places and value for money.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
6 Thank juli-scot
Singapore
Reviewed 16 December 2009

The Hotel was located in the Chung King Mansios,where ground floor full of people try to distract you and bring you to different places.And some chinese claim they are manager but actually is a cheaters for their commission.First time visit,was scared by the ground floor.And we go up to the Hotel where located inner Chung King Mansion,Block C,Floor 15.there are few blocks abcde in chung King,and this one located at the last tower.When the lift open on Floor 15,Block C.The look are fresh and seems all brand new,clean.Then people say Hi to us.And go to check-In,the place was quiet with many guests stay,the Hotel I think they have around 77 rooms becasue we saw the number until 77.And really it's a big difference to the ground floor.Internet are good connection and staff are honest and humble.Price is cheap,all the things I have never expect before.But the room was small and bathroom too.But there are not big problem for us.We suggest people to have a look to this Hotel first when you been to HK.And try to prevent people from the ground floor bring you to somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank KennethKK
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 10 December 2009

You probably dont get the room that you booked
+ all the other negative stuff that the previous guest have written.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank enri222
Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2009

The Hotel was Located in the Chung king Mansion,where are full of touts and disturb you in the lobby of the building,just ignore them(both chinese and Indian),becasue they always mislead or cheat people to different place.The Hotel was located in the Block C,Floor 12,where are Clean and no need to queue too long to wait the life compare with Block A.The Room was entire small but it was New and with Free Internet Access.Try to send the E-mail and listen their advice before you go,Luckyhousejoe@yahoo.com.hk.Would recommend for Budget Travellers.

• Stayed May 2009