“Nice location”

Ranked #508 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Hong Kong, China
“Nice location”
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Recommended by the colleagues in HongKong, the hotel is very closed to the office so I would not have to rush in the morning.
Location super good where you may walk to the Habour in few minutes, great view from the room. It's a small room but spotless in everywhere, internet service was fast and the hot water comes fast once required.
Front desk staffs all speaking English and helpful to every single question where I should go on the weekend.
I will probably take this hotel as my favorite when I'm in Hong Kong.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Rollingmushroom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Thai first
Belfast
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I don't even know where to begin on how awful this was. We had already been staying for a week on Lamma island for a week but as the last ferry is at 12:30 we decided for our last night to stay here as check in was allegedly allowed until 1:30am. We arrived at 1am and after battling through irritating salesmen and disgusting hallways (lucky hostel itself was lined with dirty bin bags) we arrived at reception; 15th floor not the 12th as we'd initially been told. We were greeted by a man who initially was sitting half nude on a chair playing games on his phone who soon told us there was no record of my booking. However I showed him my confirmation email and assured him we did indeed have a room so he told us to wait briefly whilst he sorted it out. One hour later and a woman finally came and literally just checked the hotel emails which I noticed hadn't been checked for 3 days and lo and behold our booking was there but unread. Not the bets service already but we were then told to wait 20 minutes and we'd have a room. 20 minutes later and a different man arrived to simply tell us to leave as there was no rooms available (now 2:30am and with nowhere else to stay). After a heated argument with the man and demanding my money back which he told me to do through my Internet supplier we were forced to leave and find somewhere else to stay in the middle of the night. Things only got worse though and upon asking lastminute.com for a return of my money they informed me they couldn't as "Michael the hotel staff" alerted them we had checked in and stayed the night; after telling them this was untrue he then changed his story and claimed they had offered us a room but we had simply left. This was all blatant lies and outright stealing. We were partially lucky enough that lastminute themselves reimbursed us 50% charge out of goodwill but NOBODY should frequent this hotel/hostel. It is dirty, poorly run and worst of all just straight unfriendly. Use air bnb and stay somewhere like an apartment for the same price or spend a bit more for a better hotel. Still missing 50% of the money spent and had to roam around Hong Kong for 2 hours at 2am before finding anywhere to stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
16 Thank lukeajwilliams

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This hostel seems to be getting a bad rap but considering it's excellent location and cheap price, I think it's not so bad. The room is small, of course, but who spends a lot of time in their hotel room when on vacation anyway? We had a private room and there was a bed which took up about the whole room, a TV which we were surprised about, and a little bathroom with a shower and toilet so we were happy we didn't have to share. There is minimal walking space but there is a lot of space under the bed to store luggage. It was very clean which is a plus for hostels.

The worst part was definitely the market which took up the first floor of the building. It was stressful finding the place because we had to walk to the very back to the right elevator and shop vendors were very pushy on the way. We also had to make sure we got in the right elevator (one elevator only goes to odd floors, the other only goes to even floors), it was confusing. But once we were there the people who worked there spoke English well and were very friendly to us. And they actually made dealing with the first floor market better! For example, if we were coming back for the day and saw one of the workers for the Lucky Hostel we would kind of latch onto them and they would escort us through the mob to get to the elevators and back up to the hostel. The shop vendors never bothered them because they would recognize them as being hostel workers so by befriending them we were able to circumnavigate the aggressive vendors.

I think maybe the people who wrote negative reviews are not used to hostels or perhaps have only been in higher end hostels. Basically, if you are travel savvy and good at talking to people and making friends you will be happy with this hostel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kaye B
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Don't visit this hostel. There a lot's of better ones in Hongkong. This one belongs to the famous Chungking Mansion in Kowloon. That means, that the whole first floor is a huge market place with shops and risky purchases, that is open all night long. So if you want to stay with family or kids this would be the wrong decision. The rooms are very very tiny and not clean at all. You have to pass a very small hall to get to the place. And after all its very very loudy! Don't stay here!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank CMS00
Croydon
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Ok I'm going a bit strong but the single room I had in this "hotel" was tiny. The shower shared space with the toilet. The location was very convenient though and we didn't waste a lot of time staying in the hotel but if we'd been forced to spend more time there it would have been miserable. 5 nights was just about bearable and the only reason we didn't try and find somewhere else was because it would have eaten into our trip and we consoled ourselves that we were saving money on our 3 week trip and we were right on top of everything.

On arrival it was quite a shock to have to battle through irritating salesmen (why the hell do they think you want to consider buying something when you are struggling with bags?) and then the crowded market place which was full of Pakistanis and Nigerians (not visible anywhere else in HK by the way) peddling all sorts of electrical goods and mobile phone paraphenalia. There was then a tiny lift which you had to queue for up to the floor of the hotel. Lucky Hostel was on the 15th although we were originally advised it was on the 12th and so we had to lug our bags up to the 15th. Despite all this I didn't feel unsafe and they seemed to have quite good security in the building and CCTVs for the lift. I'm not sure how safe it was from a fire point of view.

An interesting experience and a source for some amusing stories but not one I'd repeat. If you're on a tight budget then maybe it's just right but if I re-visited HK I'd look for something a little more luxurious.

I should add that my friend complained about towels not being replaced and was told indignantly by the reception that it was a "cheap hotel" and he shouldn't expect such service. I'm not sure what amused me more the comment or the look on my friend's face.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
15 Thank SurreyGrahame
Amy C, Owner at Lucky Hostel, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
We are brand new budget hostel,and located in Chung King Mansion where favored by many budget travelers due to it's cheap accommodation and central location in Hong Kong.Due to the valued land in Hong Kong,budget hostel room are small,but room are clean and with private bathroom,free internet access,air-condition,fan,television,telephone,fan,towel and slipper.Our check-in time is 12:30PM - 01:30AM,and Check-our time is before 12:00 noon.The building ground floor which is not belong to us and for building management,there are so many shops like money exchange,baggage,restaurant as well.There are many people to make shopping and make the ground floor so crowed,but actually is very safe and no crime in our building.Money exchange are much money in the shop,but they are still running properly.Your comment are very important for us to improve our service,and we are welcome to serving yours next time.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2010

I had booked this "hotel" through Asiarooms.com (do not use this site, photos and accommodations are unverified). I got it because it was cheap and the photos on the hotel room seemed ok. I did not find any bad review when I initially looked it up. The "hotel" is one of a dozen "hotels" renting space at the "Chung King Mansions". This is one building located in downtown Kowloon. The first floor is a market place with seedy shops and risky purchases, open late at night. NOT for family or even for backpackers unless you are there for the seedy side of Hong Kong. Basically, any establishment for rent in Chung King Mansion is not a safe bet.

I booked for Hong Kong Lucky Hotel in Asiarooms, we got there at around 12:30am. I was not as uncomfortable with the shady 1st floor only because I am from New York city, but I felt bad for the rest of my group and in-laws who were scared to say the least. I found the reception after navigating through 4 elevator bays of poor signages. The "receptionist" was some bum who was asleep on the desk. He was pissed that I woke him up. He argued why I did not note in my reservation email that I was coming in at a late hour. I was astounded by the jerk and was starting to argue already when my mother-in-law asked me to let it go, that we'll just leave in the morning. We went in and waited, then another bum whom he called up on the phone takes us back out to another "hotel" in the same building, back into one of the other elevators we left. He gives us a "better" room than we booked, so he says. I asked for two suites, and I tell my folks to wait for me on the first room. The first room, instead of what was in the photo, was worse than a hospital room. It had two single beds, the whole room about 2m x 3m. Just imagine 2 beds in an L-shape with just room to stand in the middle. A bathroom was there. Sheets felt unclean, there WAS NO HEAT and the blankets were too thin. The other room was worse. I walked to it and found staff sleeping on the floor. it reeked of homeless folks on the subway. I went back to my folks and said we'll just stay together in that one room and leave first light in the morning.

The building is also a high fire hazard. Swindling at the ground floor maket place is very likely as well. we found guesthouses that same morning a few streets away, with much nicer staff and clean accommodations. Size of the room is same (small) but it's part of being in Hong Kong. I think it was not the room size itself that pissed me off, it was the environment in that shady "hotel".

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Chris_travelling_out
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2010

We had booked 2 rooms in this "hotel" for October 2008. Whilst it is located directly in the city centre, the Chungking Mansions are not the place where you feel safe and comfortable. Dodgy salesmen at the entrance and a crowded marketplace on the ground floor where you should watch your belongings.

Taking the elevator up to the hotel and you get out into the lobby which didn't look too bad. The reception desk was alright, we were led to a room and straight away thought this is a joke. A room where the beds just fit into the square space, no window, and a bathroom that contained toilet and sink.. asking where the en suite shower was he pointed at a shower head at the ceiling.. which means the whole bathroom was your shower cabinet.. no thank you.
I have to say that I could not have slept one night in there.. Fire safety seems to be of no matter there, I don't want to start thinking what would happen if a fire started in this complex.

We walked out again and checked into the hotel we stayed in the last time, the Panda Hotel.. not as close to the centre but probably one of the best places and value for money.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with family