“Nice appearance, but lacking the polish”

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui
Ranked #38 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Irvine, California
“Nice appearance, but lacking the polish”
Reviewed 8 April 2011

I usually stay at the Langham Place in Mong Kok. However, I thought I'd give the Hyatt in TST a try on this trip. I was leery because it was right across the street from the Holiday Inn Golden Mile and I didn't want to be bothered with the riff raff on the street.

The location ended up being great. It has an MTR entrance via the mall below the hotel. There's a Marketplace in the mall so you can get food and water there. The drawback is that you have to take several elevators to actually get to the hotel. Kind of a pain, but no worse than Langham Place.

I booked online and stated "No Adjoining Room" and also asked for a quiet room. Well, I got a room with adjoining door and on the other side of that door was a screaming baby.... for the entire duration of my stay. Very noisy and unpleasant. I had to hear the screaming kid and the screaming mom yelling at the kid.

I also booked Club access. The Club itself looked great, but it might as well have been just a sitting area. There was no service to speak of, very little in the way of things to eat or drink. At Breakfast you had to go hunt down someone just to get a slice of butter. Selection of food was minimal. During the day everything stayed locked up except softdrinks. At Langham you get a beer and chips or snacks whenever you want it.

They offered an evening cocktail service in the Lounge from 5:30-8pm. Langhams usually goes from 6-10pm. For the business traveller, the Hyatt hours are not adequate. I wouldn't get back to the hotel until 7:30 after a long day in China. That leaves you about 30minutes to try and grab something to eat and get a drink. Not adequate, especially for the price paid. The food selection was really minimal and there were no hot appetizers to be seen. The non-existant staff would bring by a single sample and then would disappear. I was used to Langham's great lounge service and quite often that would be my evening meal since all I wanted was something light. That didn't work at Hyatt. Oh, and the screaming baby was in the lounge everytime I went there......

The lounge looked great, and I guess the staff liked it too since they had the lights up so bright that you couldn't see out the windows in the evening. The stunning view that they have of the harbor was blocked out.

So, I think that this could be a great place to stay but the staff seems to be so inexperienced and not really grasping the concept of what they are supposed to do. I'll try it again sometime, but for my next visits I'm going back to Langham Place Mong Kok. I'll give the Hyatt in Sha Tin a try also since its a much shorter train ride to the border.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank northoc1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (363)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Germany
Reviewed 4 April 2011

We have stayed in the hotel for 3 nights at the end of a very exausting business trip. We usually have stayed in the Island hotels, and have chosen the Hyatt Regency only because of a very good price deal. We never regreted this decision, moreover, we would definitely like to return. The hotel is pretty new, very clean, the rooms are big enough and bathroom is nice. The breakfast was great, everything you can desire, a lot of things freshly cooked for you. And if you have missed something, just go out to K11 Mall and you have a lot of restaurants and shops. The location of the hotel is perfect, you can walk to the most interesting places in Kowloon, Nathan Road only 2 minutes away, and you have a direct access to subway. The only minus issues were a really expensive Internet ( travelling in China for 2 weeks, everywhere Internet was free), and that the hotel have no spa and no sauna, only gym and outdoor swimming pool.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 March 2011

I usually stay at other hotels in central, but my business trip was organised too late and I stayed in Kowloon forthe first time, which didn't matter much as it didn't take long to get to meetings. The hotel was very good - good service, good food, large room, etc - and I recommend it for business travelling. Main downside was a hard bed, the same as in the Hyatt in Seoul.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My wife and I spent 4 nights at the hotel on the last leg of a 28 day journey. The hotel upgraded us to a harbor view room on the club level.The hotel is very clean and one of the newest in this area. Close to the best shopping in the world, you can also walk under ground to most of the other shopping destinations in Tsim Sha Sui. The breakfast in the club was delicious and more than enough variety, the afternoon tea and cocktail hour was very nice as well. Hotel's in Hong Kong are expensive but considering free breakfast, internet,cocktails I think the hotel was a very good value. We paid including ax about $335 per US . Great for me because my wife could easily find her way to most of the shopping while I was working. look forward to our next visit. also great meal at Hugo's and lunch in Chinese restaurant.

1 Thank dbenamy
Buderim, Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2011

We stayed two nights at this hotel after a sea cruise and before leaving home for Queensland. It had been over 30 years since we visited Hong Kong = so lots of changes. This Hotel really made our visit memorable - fantastic location: modern, bright, clean - facilities that could not be faulted in any way - and, above all, staff were welcoming, polite and professional. We arrived early in the morning and were checked in within the hour - also offered a late 2pm checkout on the day we left. Although in the middle of a very busy district of Kowloon, interior of the hotel: corridors, rooms were quite and restful.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marigoldKent
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 22 March 2011

As Americans travelling in Asia, the staff was gracious and welcoming upon our arrival and throughout our week long stay. The public rooms and our room were modern, immaculate and very comfortable. Set in an interesting lively area, it is a short walk to the Ferry and the MTR subway is conveniently adjacent to the hotel.
In particular, I praise the concierge, Donald Cheung, who accomodated all of our requests from dinner suggestions/reservations to daily directions for our outings and even where to find specific purchases we wanted to make. He was our 'go-to' man and helped make our stay in gorgeous Hong Kong an amazing experience.
Thank you Mr. Cheung!

1 Thank gpad
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 March 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency TST for one night last December. The hotel was clean, the rooms modern, and the view was pretty nice (if it weren't for the smog). The hotel is situated on the mainland side of the bay, which wasn't a problem for us, but may be if you're looking to do more activities on HK island (like Victoria Peak). Although, the conceirge were very helpful in setting up a tour for us to take that brought us through the island, so we didn't really feel like we missed out.

Hong Kong itself is crowded and dirty, but the hotel is anything but. We never felt rushed inside, or crammed in. The breakfast buffet was huge! And the quailty of the food was pretty good. No complaints there. I thoroughly enjoted the modern touches, like the key cards that you just waved by a sensor to open your door. Pretty cool! And the bathroom was also modern, which again I like.

Overall, a quality hotel. I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple