“I really wanted to love this hotel, but the chemistry was missing....”

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui
Ranked #45 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Saint Louis, Missouri
“I really wanted to love this hotel, but the chemistry was missing....”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Ok. Ive been to Hong Kong so many times. Although this hotel has been open for a couple of years, this was my first stay.

First, the location within Kowloon is perfect. Off the beaten path while in the heart of everything. Great. Upon arriving at the hotel, my taxi took me on an underground drive to reception. I thought he had made a mistake and was taking me to the parking garage. As a large trash truck picked up the days refuse, my bags were whisked away just feet from the trash mess. No lobby...just an elevator corridor that took me upstairs to check in.

Candy, at the front desk was the shining star of my hotel experience. The large (rather warm) hotel lobby was deserted, and she eagerly helped me right away....only to find out that my reservation was at another Hyatt. With a breakfast meeting planned at this property, that wasnt good. Although it was late at night, and the hotel was full....she found me a room, and was able to get my other room night cancelled. What a gem!

My diamond membership with Hyatt for more than 15 years probably helped. It didnt do much else though. Didnt even get a paper in the morning, although everyone else on my floor did. Service touches were missing.....

I went upstairs, and down the WARM AND HUMID hallway to my room.

The room was small, but well designed. The king sized bed took up most of the room, and the bathroom was larger. The room was clean and comfortable, but nothing special at all.

The mattress was firm (very firm), but i like that. I could see where others might think it was too hard.

I found the location of the thermostat, award. It is in a corner, placed about 30" from the ground by the bedside table. You really have to kneel down, and peer around to see and control it. Strange.

Did i mention the WARM HALLWAYS? I worked up a sweat every time i left my room for the elevator....

The breakfast was nice, but the service was terrible. Great selection amongst multiple stations to satisfy any desire. Western and Eastern specialties were in abundance. My drink order was taken, my bill was delivered....then my drink arrived about 10 minutes later. Never had another human interaction again. No re-fills, no one to check on me. Nothing. They sure got the bill delivered quick though! Wow...

After walking down the WARM HALLWAYS again, i stopped by the REgency Club. The club was very nice, but nothing special at all. Nice views from the 23rd floor, standard food and beverage options. The club at the Grand Hyatt across the water puts this to shame. Nice, but average in all respects.

The HEALTH CLUB was another story. SMALL, small...small. About 8 machines in an attractive but SMALL space is all there is. OK, there are 8 sets of dumbbells and a bench. For a hotel this size, in todays world...this is deplorable. Ive had larger health clubs in a Holiday Inn Express or Courtyard. Really bad.... Its clean....but bad.

I suppose overall the hotel is fine. If you get a good rate, go for it. Its certainly better than its predecessor on Nathan Road from years ago! I remember that old hotel so well. Its not the Grand Hyatt across the water, and its certainly not my preferred hotel, The Intercontinental. It lacks in service and style. No lobby, no street presence, warm hallways, and a poor excuse for a health club all distracted from my stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JamesE339

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

First of all let me just say, if you are still deciding whether or not to go to Hong Kong, stop thinking & book. Straight away! It is an amazing city & you will be blown away by it all when you arrive.

It was our first trip to Hong Kong & were only in town for 4 nights so we wanted to be in a good location for seeing all the sights. After a lot of research we finally decided on the Hyatt & were not disappointed. The hotel is right across the street from Tsim Sha Tsui East MTR station which will get you basically anywhere you could want to go in Hong Kong. Don't be scared of the MTR, it is genuinely so easy to use, all the signs are in English & it is so cheap, fast & easy to get around. Our ticket cost us £9 and we used it for the entire 4 days & still had around £3.50 left on it by the time we left.

The hotel is immaculately clean & the bedrooms & bathroom are generous with great views of the city.

The beds are so comfy which is a god send after a day & night of exploring HK.

We did not have breakfast at the hotel as we prefer to try different places & if you chose to do the same there are an abundance of great restaurants within easy walking distance.

The hotel is perfect for first time visitors who have limited time & want a good base for exploring.

I'd also highly recommend the Spring Deer restaurant across the road, the duck is unforgettable! There is also a Japanese bar just over the road on the street that runs behind the MTR station & I forget the name of it but it had a outside garden with sparkly lights & does amazing well priced cocktails & ridiculously nice chicken portions to enjoy with your drinks.

Enjoy!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JaneD1701
XavierPech, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear JaneD1701, thank you for your review. We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay and that you find our location convenient. It is a pleasure to receive your positive comments on our overall services and facilities especially the cleanliness of guestroom. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon. Best regards, Xavier Pech - General Manager.
Seattle
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This is our first time to stay at this Hyatt. We like it because
1. the location is really convenient, above the K11 Art Mall and close to many restaurants and cafes. We recommend Rue de Marseille (Agnes b) salad and sandwiches.
2. the service is very good. Donald Chan the chief conciege is very nice and helpful.
3. the free cell phone allows us to call family and friends around the world.
4. the room is much bigger than most of the room at Hong Kong hotels. One may also have views of the harbour.
But the only problem is the hard mattress; my back and shoulder aches after a night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Edgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed 3 nights and really glad we stayed on the Kowloon side. Harborview well worth the extra expense as we could watch the lights of Hong Kong. Also, it was easy walking to the Star Ferry and shops/restaurants. The concierge service was terrific especially offering a cell phone for GSP and free international calls. What a terrific idea!

Room Tip: Harborside--17th floor or above.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda K
XavierPech, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Linda K, thank you for choosing to stay with us. It is a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay and the harbour view in particular. We are glad to read your positive feedback on our location and overall services especially the smartphone. See you back soon. Best regards, Xavier Pech - General Manager.
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I was very surprised to see that over 300 people had read my review of the hotel, which wasnt very complimentary of the hotel.
Since then I have stayed at the hotel about 6 more times and the stays have been very very good, they really seemed to have paid attention to the things that I had mentioned and have changed for the better.
I plan to stay here from now on.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Tajwar H
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This Hyatt hotel perfectly reflect what the brand itself, I was here on business purposes as I usually stay at causeway bay area, this hotel definetely is superior compare to same price hotel in hongkong island. Do not afraid staying in kowloon side , especially there is mtr station underneath this hotel.
Room is perfect , brand new modern design
Lobby also great
Breakfast is nice
Tsim tsa hui area also provide different feeling of hongkong , many nice food
Avenue of the star is walking distance as well
Tips : if you have time do take a ferry ride to hongkong island , the view is very very nice

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
XavierPech, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Henry W, thank you very much for your review and glad to know you enjoyed your stay. It is a great pleasure to learn that you were happy with the location, overall facilities and breakfast, we were delighted to receive such recognition. We look forward to seeing you back soon. Best regards, Xavier Pech - General Manager.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 30 June 2014

In busy Kowloon near department store and boutique shopping and conveniently located close to rapid transit to Hong Kong Island and the MTR to the airport. Nice rooms that are entirely satisfactory but not luxurious. Good Club Floor services with excellent view of Victoria Harbor. The lobby level restaurant offers many choices at cooking stations and the service is prompt. This hotel offers a slightly better cost alternative to the Grand Hyatt on Hong Kong Island. The staff is always friendly and a pleasure to encounter. I was there in October and November 2013 and the guest room on the Club Floor could use a modest update, but the experience was fine and I would stay there again without hesitation. If you have a few hours, walk to the Hong Kong History Museum and discover Hong Kong's story from rock formation to the present - it's well worth the time.

Room Tip: Stay on a high floor with Harbor view. Book Club Floor and services if available.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business