“Excellent Hotel, Efficient Service”

Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel
Ranked #47 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Singapore
“Excellent Hotel, Efficient Service”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Big comfortable rooms (by HK standards), big enough to accommodate my family of 2 adults and 3 young children, with space for kids to 'run' around. Rooms were clean & beddings comfortable like home.

Hotel isn't in the best location, but runs complimentary shuttles to & from the airport, Tung Chung & Disneyland. If you were doing the attractions on Lantau Island (namely, Ngong Ping, Tai-O, Dolphin Tours, Noah's Arch, Disneyland, Tung Chueng shopping, etc.), this is definitely a worthy hotel.

We booked with our Marriott membership and checking-in & out were a breeze. We also had complimentary wifi connection during our stay.

Service staff are friendly and efficient. Most if not all of them we interacted with were effectively trilingual. We stayed a total of 4 nights (3+1), transferring to a city hotel & subsequently Disney hotel before returning to Marriott on our last night.

On our return to the hotel for our last night, we dropped one of my daughter's shoes in the taxi as she had fallen asleep. By the time we realised the shoe was missing, the taxi had driven off. We called after it, but the driver did not stop nor turn back. The hotel staff then helped us contact the taxi. They had taken note of the license plate and managed to get in touch with the taxi driver. As the driver could only return with the shoe after we leave Hong Kong, the hotel staff actually arranged to keep the shoe & pass it on to one of our friends who would be passing through Hong Kong later this month. We have yet to get the shoe back, but are definitely appreciative of the effort the hotel staff go to to assist us in retrieving the shoe. Kudos to the Marriott team who went the extra mile to help us.

We will definitely stay here again when we do attractions on Lantau Island. Thank you for the fabulous experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kunming, China
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Arrived her pretty weary after a 15 and a half hour flight and wanted nothing more than a meal, a bath, and a bed. But for whatever reasons, they upgraded me to a huge and luxurious room on a higher floor and I fell in love with the place.

Had planned to move on the next morning, but extended for a second night. I often travel on the cheap, but this time I felt in need of a splurge. Am convinced it was the right decision.

Thought about going touring and or shopping in Hong Kong on my free day, but I've been there before several times and didn't have a pressing sense of mission. Instead, I never left the confines of the hotel.

The HMS Marriott became my cruise ship on the ocean as I got rested, read the last part of my book and caught up on e-mail, etcetera. Low key activities and it was pleasant to have the luxury of unstructured time. No deadlines, no rigid schedules, no tight connections.

Nothing is really near this hotel, but it didn't matter to me. They do have a shuttle that will take you to City Center (Tung Chung 东涌) free of charge.

Might add that I've stayed at Novotel Citygate and at the Regal Airport Hotel several times on previous trips. Both of those are less isolated, and that might be a consideration if you were traveling with restless, action-oriented family members or kids who needed entertainment.

When I checked in they told me about a temporary special whereby you get breakfast for only one additional Hong Kong Dollar. I leaped at that and definitely got good value from that single extra HKD. If you are going soon, I suggest inquiring about this fine deal. I can't remember when it ends.

Shuttle from and to the airport was efficient and complimentary. Runs every 20 minutes around the clock. Bellman helped me with my heavy luggage. One night I ate in the hotel's dining room and had a top notch meal. Cost a bit more than it would have at an outside restaurant, but that's to be expected. The quality was there and the convenience made it a good value.

The next night I was supremely lazy and ordered room service. It arrived promptly and was set up by a friendly, smiling waitress. Chicken avocado pizza, a garden salad, and a cup of mushroom soup. Every item freshly made and at the right serving temperature.

Check out was smooth. Staff were all friendly, from maids, to wait staff, to bellmen, to counter personnel. Most were trilingual, having an excellent command of Mandarin as well as Cantonese in addition to decent English. I'm a member of their rewards club and therefore got free internet. You need to mention it if you are also a member, or else you will incur a charge.

When my cruise on the HMS Marriott ended, I was in much better condition when I first boarded the ship two days earlier and could continue my expedition into Mainland China refreshed and well rested.

Thank you Marriott.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ZhongguoKM
Boston
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I stayed here for a 20 hour layover in Hong Kong between flights. The room was very clean and comfortable, the bed was great and everything was great, except for a few of the staff. Some lady rang the door bell three times, and before I had a chance to go see who it was (in my underwear) she started to open the door. I had to yell at her to stop, and she shrieked back something about whether or not I had any laundry to do. Completely unacceptable behavior on the part of this member of the staff which soured my stay. The location is good, though, right next to the airport terminal, and the breakfast buffet was very well stocked, but a little on the expensive side. The staff behavior was usual for the Chinese -- aloof and not very customer oriented.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. We are a family with two young kids. The main purpose to visit Hong Kong in this time was Disneyland. We chose this hotel because of these three reasons.
First, the hotel provides free shuttle bus to Disneyland. It runs daily at 10 am.
Second, the hotel also provides free shuttle bus from and to airport. I see it is a good point for us after we finished another trip before we were at Hong Kong. Within 10 minutes, we have arrived this hotel.
Third, the hotel also provides free shuttle bus to Tung Chung MTR/shopping malls regularly.

Overall, we love and enjoy to stay at this hotel. Hotel staff are very helpful and friendly. We fell like staying at home.

Definitely, I will always return and recommend this hotel.

Thank you very much to all hotel staffs for their good and excellent service.

Calgary
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We stayed in this hotel for four days and the service and friendliness of the people was equal to the best I have experienced. The shuttle buses run regularly to the airport and Tung Chung shopping centre, and the rail systems from there to almost anywhere you might want to go are excellent.

Totally recommend it.

2 Thank TaoMan49
Irvine, California
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The hotel has a shuttle bus to the airport and it is more convenient than using a taxi. However, the shuttle can be quite full and crowded for some reason, as I expected the night of my layover. Quite a lot of Chinese with their numerous baggages to put in the baggage compartment, and you'll have difficulties retrieving yours at the destination.
The hotel is quite nice. The check-in process is really smooth for elite members (if you can beat those Chinese to the counter, as they usually use travel agencies and their reservations took longer to settle than regular Marriott.com reservations).
The room is good enough for a Marriott.
The lounge looks nice, but we had a 9 am flight, and we got to the lounge at 6:20 when things were not ready. We didn't wait and took the shuttle to the airport to have breakfast at Tsui Wah. The morning shuttle is quite enjoyable and the check-out is as smooth.
Will return for layovers.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Stayed here one night in Nov. As Marriott Platinum, got a water view top floor room.
Concierge lounge is quite nice. Good snacks etc. at dinner time. We could also
check in & out in the lounge. And the free breakfast was in the main restaurant, quite good. Shuttle bus from/to airport worked fine. Hotel is 10 minutes taxi from Tung Chung and the nice
City Gate Mall as well as the Cable Car. (Can also easily be done by Metro). We taxied to
Disney World (15 minutes) which was fun. If you are over 65, you get in for only
HK$100 as compared to HK$450. Highly recommend this hotel if you are in transit and don't
want to trek into HK.