“Close to airport and Disneyland”

Ranked #46 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
California
“Close to airport and Disneyland”
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

I'm trying to figure why this hotel is rated a category greater than 5? I'm not even able to use my Marriott rewards compared to the amenities and location similar to other Marriott hotels located in Anaheim, California.

Yes, it is close to Disneland. Two train rides to get to Disneyland. There is a scheduled free shuttle to and from Disneyland and Tai Chung
where a huge mall is located. About 9 minutes ride.

Nong Ping where the collosal Buddha sits atop on a hill is a short walk in Tai Chung to take the breath taking cable car ride.
Suggest you purchase ticket in advance from hotel to cut waiting times on the long queue.

Rooms are adequate is size. Fits a family of 4 adequately. Provides free crib for infants upon request. There is a small
sofa that can alternate as a small bed for a small kid.

Buffet breakfast is ok. Free scheduled shuttle from and to airport too which less than 8 minutes away.

• Stayed March 2014
5 Thank BayAreaUSA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 31 August 2014

I want to make everyone aware of an issue I faced recently.
I was coming from mainland China to the airport with the ferry but my flight was scheduled for the following day and my intention was to spend the night in the Marriott hotel close to the airport.
For my surprise, I was not allowed to board the ferry to the airport in China since my flight was only scheduled for the next day.
It is hard to understand the reasons behind such constraint, but there was no was of going around this, even though I said many times I would go through Hong Kong immigration at the airport.
Instead I was forced to rebook my ferry ticket to do to Hong Kong city, take a cab and waste 3 hours and quite some money to get to this hotel.

Would I have known that I would have stayed in China one more night and taken the ferry the next day right before boarding my flight.

Now about the hotel: Comfortable, clean, good restaurant and well located (shuttle takes 5 mins).

Room Tip: Ask for one with water view
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Bob_Creek
Irvine, California
Reviewed 31 August 2014

The stay at SkyCity Marriott for two nights was quite pleasant.

Room was not particularly nice or bad, but clean and well maintained. We really liked the swimming pool where the man/woman locker has its own sauna facilities. So, I could not enjoy jacuzzi with my wife, but overall my kids had a good time. The staff gave away bottles of water at the pool, which was nice. The shuttles to/from airport and Tung Chung Station were frequent and on time (at times left earlier). The shuttle at night was very crowded to a degree that the seats are almost filled.

For downtown, we took the shuttle to Tung Chung and MTR, which cost us about HK$15-20 per person per way and overall 1-2 hrs, so we thought that it would have been better to stay near downtown, considering the time and the expenses to stay at SkyCity Marriott. On the other hand, accessability to Tung Chung station is quite good where Citygate Outlet and Lantau cable car are located, so if this is where activities are, this place is really recommended.

Airplane noise was often heard, but I was not much bothered.

One minor incident which Marriott is perhaps not responsible for in any way, is that I misplaced personal items (an octopus card and a credit card) at the shuttle from the airport and when I inquired the next morning, was answered that they could not find. I do not doubt Marriott staff and it is possibly other travelers, but I was certainly not happy.

All in all, I would probably stay closer to the downtown next time I visit HK.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank fscholar
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 August 2014

The overall hotel lobby and restaurants are nicely done. My room would have been ok, on the 10th floor (1056) with a nice view of the bay. Except on my last night's stay, the smoke alarm went off inexplicably with this screeching sound. I had to leave the room. After some time, the maintenance guy came and disassembled it to make it stop the noise. Later that night, the room phone kept buzzing but when picked up had no dial tone. Kept me up all night. Told the front desk next morning upon check out, and did not notice her jotting down a note nor take down the room number. She just checked me out, smiled and apologize for my no-night sleep, and went on to service the next in line. No wonder the room has problems. No one seems to take notice even when problems are reported. Good luck to the next occupant to room 1056.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Virginia C
Peter S, Resident Manager at Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear valued guest,

I am quite disappointed to read your review about your recent stay. Please allow me to apologize for the sleepless night you experienced during your stay with us. Your business means a lot to us and it is indeed disheartening to see that we have failed to maintain our product standard, and failed to follow through thoroughly upon your departure.

I appreciate you bringing your concerns to my attention. Please know that I am sorry that all did not go well with your stay. I sincerely hope that you will give us the opportunity to be of service and to restore your faith in our property.

Best regards,

Peter Sih
Resident Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I stay at the Sky City Marriott routinely when transiting through HKIA. It is always completely efficient to stay there, even though the hotel is large and busy. From arrival at the airport (where they take your luggage trolley and manage your bags right to your room), to checkout, everything is effortless. The restaurants and room service are fast and have good food. One of the best coffees I've had was at Java in the lobby of the hotel. The rooms are spacious, clean, have all the conveniences you'd need including free bottled water (pretty standard in Asia), a converter for your plugs, and free wifi (you may need to be enrolled in Marriott Rewards for this). There is a free shuttle to the subway and at the same location is a mall with a food court and large grocery store. Any time directions were given, be it riding the subway and walking in town or regarding transit or hotel facilities, they were detailed and exact. The staff cannot be more helpful, and they always seem pleased just to be so; no one has their hand out for a tip. It is really easy to stay at this hotel. Because it is a large hotel, the hallway is long. You may prefer to request a room near the elevator. I would give this hotel 5 stars except that it can't compete with the truly 5 star hotels and their offerings.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 49ab
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 30 August 2014

You couldn't hear the planes from the airport. The room was good and the bed as well and it felt clean. The food is a bit expensive but good. The gym had what we needed and they have a small swimming pool which was nice. Airport transfer was free for us.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel is specific for business people.
Very, very friendly staff (almost too friendly for me).
Enjoyed my stay and will definitely come back.

Ps: Wifi is not free (does this still exist in 2014?? - I stay monthly on hotels but this is the first one in 3 - 4 years where wifi is charged (@12€ per Day)).

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business