“Ideal for solo backpacker / traveller - No frills but perfect !”

Mingle Place By The Park
Ranked #480 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 10 January 2011

I stayed in this 'hotel' for 4 nights in May 2010. It was a tiny little room on the 3rd floor (no lift so was a bit tricky up several flights of very narrow stairs with lotsof luggage!) The entrance to the hotel itself is sandwiched between a Chinese health shop and I think it was an opticians. It it so small you would miss it if you didn't know it was there!!. It was however perfect for what I needed. A bed and a shower for a few nights. It had a TV and free Wifi which was great given thatI only paid the equivalent of about 25/30 GBP per night! The bathroom was the smallest room ever and the sink was hilarious, around 6 inches wide between 2 walls with a mirror over the sink - you could only squeeze one shoulder in at a time to see in the mirror, but its all part of the HK charm! The bed stretched from one side of the room to the window, with just a few cm's spare to get in and out. Its exactly as it says on their website and really cute for a solo traveller.

Perfectly situated on the MTR, bus and tram lines. Noisy as it is on the main Wanchai to Central road - but you know what youre booking when you look it up so it wasn't a problem to me. I used to live in HK so I knew it would be like this given the fact it was on the busiest road ever !!

It also had the smallest balcony in the world. Standing room only !

I just loved this place

Staff were very friendly and kept my luggage in their tiny recption on the last day so I didnt have to drag it round with me. given this is far more like a hostel than a hotel I was impressed with the staff and the Wifi for the money.

I would recommend it and I would stay there again

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank JHK2010

Reviewed 7 October 2010

The hotel called my room a "lite room" - lite on the truth would be more accurate! Calling mine a room is false advertising - it was more like a rabbit-hole. I tried to measure it and judging by my body (I'm 1.74m tall), it was about 2m x 3.5m = 7 square meters. Try and picture that. What's more, there was a big structural pillar right by my bed, making it hard to even get in and out of bed. In the tiny space that was mine they somehow managed to fit a TV (fixed to the wall at the end of the bed), an ensuite bathroom, a wall cabinet for tea/coffee and kettle/jug etc - and a balcony of about 1 square meters that was good only for looking down at the street. It might have been a feat of design but it was a horrible experience. Location was good for Wan Chai and going to Chinese Embassy for my visa renewal but even for $375 HK dollars, it was poor beyond words.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank pomozki
Reviewed 30 September 2010

It's a gorgeous little hotel in the busy centre of Wanchai. It is true what the other reviewers say about the size. It has tiny rooms but they are so quaint and cute. I had the single room while my parents took the Queen Double Room. I had a pleasant surprise when my single room led out to my own private garden with garden bench which we used it in the mornings for breakfast. We would buy the local delights from the neighbourhood and enjoy it in the private garden.
Plus points:
- Quaint, historical boutique hotel with an interesting concept. Read all about it in the tourist kit in the room. Tourist kit also had great tips for visiting major tourist spots.
- Clean & thoughtful with their toiletries
- Helpful service staff
- Great location. Close to MTR station.
- The hotel has a huge collection of free movies on your 'smart' tv system. To unwind after a day of shopping/sightseeing, I unwound by watching all 3 series of Ip Man (very appropriate themed movie being in HK) :)
- Free Wifi

Minus points:
- Small bathroom space
- Small in general
- Noisy (if you are facing the main road. I fared better as my room was at the back of the hotel so it was virtually noise-free at night, while my parents had to put up with some traffic at night. However it was bearable)

Overall, a pleasant stay. I will definitely come back again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank Lindaa78
Reviewed 13 August 2010

On the good side, I have been told that other Mingle hotels in Hong Kong are great. However, there is not consistent brand quality level between hotels apparently. Although the location in Wanchai was convenient and the hotel (old, old apartments renovated) was well decorated, the negative factors overwhelmed the positive making this one of the worst hotel stays in my life.

The problems included:

* Not clear that the reception office was on the 1st floor (2nd floor up to Americans) and I lugged my suitcase up too many stairs.

* That is to say, no elevator.

* The first room I was placed into (Room 401) had NO working air conditioner in the tropical, Mississippi-like heat of a Hong Kong summer!

* Worst of all, the paper-thin walls let in ALL the sounds from the street -- people, cars, buses rumbling past, etc. The only way I could get any sleep was to stuff my ears with earplugs (thank goodness I had brought some with me).

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank BoydJones
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We booked 3 rooms: 1. superior room with balcony in king bed (room number 301) ; 2. superior with balcony in twin bed (room number 304) 3. standard double room. (room number 302). comparatively, the room size was the same for king bed and twin bed but in those configurations, the twin room had less usable space. if you had a hard case luggage, you may have a hard time getting the case fully opened. Also, since the balconies opens to the Wan Chai street, the noise can be deafening at night.

Generally, the rooms were clean and the bathroom space was sufficient. But in room 304 - the sink was so small that your head couldn't fit in it properly, i.e. - you may not be able to brush your teeth over the sink without knocking the sides. Room facilities - there's a good range of movies and music available for free viewing to keep you occupied and they also provide free wi-fi (we liked that very much).

my friends who stayed in rooms 304 and 302 had some problems with the air conditions, one room had water dripping from the unit and then warm air came out instead. In the other room, water had literally sprayed out (like in a shower) from the air conditioning unit. they were switched to another room the same night. we decided that air conditioning maintenance was inadequate, especially now in the summer.

Another incident to remember was the fire alarm suddenly blasted off at 2.30am and we were all awaken to find that it was a false alarm. the fire truck arrived a couple of minutes after that and then it was promptly turned off. some guests were already out in the streets (which was a good thing) but we stayed back in our rooms.

Note that this is a walk up hotel - the rooms begin on level 2 and upwards. reception on the right of level 1, the left is occupied by a doctor's office. we didn't check out the common areas since we were already out of breath after all day walking the streets of Hong Kong. there is a small supermarket, 7-11 and a host of eateries nearby. the MTR station is few minutes walk away - in the summer heat, that may also be a dreadful walk.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank saucie
Reviewed 11 August 2010

Having recently stayed in this hotel I was very impressed with the price I paid for the hotel as well as the standard of a lite-room (small en-suite room for single traveller). The room was really well kitted out and for the price I don’t think you could bet it. Yes the room was tiny but then I was only using it as a base for a couple of nights to sleep and get showered etc.

The en-suite room was very clean with nice free toiletries

Location is fantastic on Hong Kong Island and only takes 2 mins walk from the underground train station and great place to explore from.

As mentioned before this hotel would not be suitable for people that can’t walk up flights of stairs as it does not have a lift.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank james_yorks
Reviewed 6 May 2010

This is a cheap hotel to stay in, however it does not compromise on quality. This hotel is in a excellent location, the room was spotless and while small provided everything I needed for a stay in Hong Kong. I will stay here again

• Stayed: October 2009