“Careless Management”

Ranked #172 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Phuket, Thailand
“Careless Management”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed for nearly a week March 2014. Probably dirtiest carpets ever seen in a hotel. I stayed on lower floor and averted eyes every time exiting lift to door of room to avoid seeing. Unbelievably dirty. Similar last seen in China c1987. Corridors never cleaned. No air freshners in room effectively shared with toilets. So ever present backgound smell. All easily remedied but overlooked. Lazy management. Superb location. Small but comfortable rooms.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I usually never bother to leave a comment on travel sites unless the owner politely asks and I believe the place deserves a good rating, but this time Mini hotel (Central) left me with the impression that I will never come back and it should know why.

First is the awful quality of the service, it seems the staff does not try at all to be helpful, everything is a "no, we cannot", and on top of that, they give you a weird and unpleasant attitude. We stayed three nights, and everyday, the staff gave us a new reason to find them impolite.

Second is this is not a hotel. It really cannot boast the same facilities and amenities. For instance, most hotels in HK provide hand soap, tea bags, face and body towels (since those are very cheap in Asia), and they also have international sockets or at least would provide an adaptor in the room. The hotel has boxes of them at the reception and sell them for $80 apiece, I went to Kowloon the next day and bought one for $6 in a small shop.

Third is the size, but we were prepared for this. We took turns to use the bathroom while the other waited in the lobby and we had a good motive to spend the whole day outside.

Although we enjoyed staying in such a central location, that made us realise that it takes very little to get greater comfort in Hong-Kong. Sheung Wan is next door, offers competitive prices with high standards, much nicer rooms, and real asian hospitality. We will definitely go back there.

Even seen as a place only to "crash", I do not believe that it is alright for the Mini Hotel to compromise on every little thing to improve your stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luciemmm

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

SG
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

I travel to Hong Kong regularly for work and holiday; this time was for holiday, so we decided to try something different. The name is everything it suggests; the hotel rooms are tiny (if you are imagining small, divide that by half, and you might be somewhere close). There is literally space only to walk round the bed, and there are NO wardrobes, which clearly makes this place a no-go for business travellers. Luggage has to sit on the floor; I travelled with my wife, and one piece of luggage had to go under the bed. The safe is innovatively tucked under the bed on a pull out tray as well, and it was a pleasant (and only) luxury to have a safe in such a tiny room. Important note is that the toilet and shower walls are glass, so pick your roomies very carefully. There are no tolietries, and even the towels are mini...we had to buy our own. BUT, having said that, all this is expected, and the website tells you exactly that.

Now the good stuff; the location is superb; it is a 3 minute walk to the Central MTR, and a little longer if you want the airport express. Not the most convenient if you are carrying luggage but taxis in HK are cheap and plentiful. The lobby is spacious with an eclectic mix of furniture that at first glance are all mismatched pieces, but somehow contribute to the quirkiness and charm of this hotel. The lobby is a nice place to hang out and chill with friends, and is one of the saving graces of the lack of space in the rooms. Staff are friendly and helpful. All in all, a value for money proposition, if you are prepared to forego a little luxury for the ultimate convenience of being right smack in the centre of town.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Ocean City, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Never having been to Hong Kong before I didn't know where to stay but decided that Central would be what the name implied. Actually it isn't the center of the city as far as night life or restaurants are concerned. Causeway or Kowloon would have suited me better.
However, I found the Mini Hotel Central on the internet, and its price was reasonable for Hong Kong. If walking from the subway its a bit of a hike with luggage but do-able.
The room really lived up to the hotel name, measuring 7ft wide X 11ft long and this included bathroom and toilet. The room was very clean and had a mirrored wall that added to the sense of space. The bed was about 60 wide, and at a squeeze could accommodate two thin people. I was on my own so not a problem. The toilet and shower were up against the outside picture window and I don't know if it is tinted so outside cannot see in. I felt that I was showering with the world looking on. Granted I was on the 12th floor.
In general it is somewhere clean and relatively modern, and by HK standards somewhat inexpensive place to lay ones head. Definitely too small to want to spend any time in the room.

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Peterlee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

This Hotel is fantastic. Yes its small, but it says that straight off, so you know exactly what you are getting. I found the rooms to be perfect for a flying visit. Bed, shower, toilet, all clean and well maintained, what else do you need. For the price its exceptional, i don't think you will find a place located this centrally or the same standard. Quality place and location.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul_and_Kate007
PORTUGAL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

Good price for stay, good location at walking distance to Lan Kwai Fong. The staff are helpful but rooms are tiny although have wifi. From MRT Station walking access is not very easy if you carry a big luggage as beside path have many stairs the access to building is also through some stairway steps at entrance.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I had a chance to travel to Hong Kong last week. Absolutely, Mini Hotel was not our first choice for our stay as we decided to stay in a small guesthouse in the area of Mongkok. Unfortunately, we did not get any confirmation letter back from the owner so that we was looking for another hotel to stay. At first, I had read a lot of comments in the TripAdvisor about Mini hotel. We got both of good and bad information. Finally, we decided to stay with you because Central was my favorite place. Once, I stepped into your hotel. It was very comfortable, the decoration, the lobby, and the staff. He was very helpful and very nice. Talking about the room, I must admit that I really like the way you have decorated the room. Although, it was a tiny but it organized very well. Significantly, the room is really clean. I really love it!!!! I will go back again next year. I'll visit your hotel again for sure. :))

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple