“Club Rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles

Harbour Grand Hong Kong
Ranked #56 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
“Club Rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed at the hotel on the Club Floor, the Harbour View room was good and as advertised in on the hotel website. The club floor staff where excellent although the food in the club was limited compared to other hotels I have been in although not a deal breaker in my book. At the time of our booking building work was happening in the front of the hotel so traffic around the hotel was busy. I recommend walking <5 min walk to Fortress Hill MTR to get around the island.

The hotel is not in the tourist parts of the island so this needs to be considered when booking the hotel if you do not want to use the Public Transport.

Still the experience was good and would recommend this hotel anyone going to Hong Kong.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (878)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed here for a work conference in January 2014, Nice hotel but its location may not suit everyone. Is a little out of the way from the Centre of Hong Kong Island.
Great conference facilities, Breakfast Buffet was good too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Benoit H, Manager at Harbour Grand Hong Kong, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear "bojantercon",

Greetings from Harbour Grand Hong Kong,

I would like to thank you the detailed review as well as the great feedback about the view and our top restaurant - Le 188 Restaurant and Lounge.

I have noted your comment about the sink issue and would appreciate if you could please contact me directly with your name and room number so that we can follow up.

Once again, thank you very much for your review. My team and I will look forward welcoming your back in the near future.

Benoit Heumez
Director of Guest Services
Email: benoith@harbourgrand.com
Sunbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Overall the hotel was very good. My girlfriend and I stayed three nights over Easter weekend. The pool was nice, staff were helpful, concierge always opening doors and offering assistance when we needed it. Probably about a 4-5 minute walk to the nearest MTR station(fortress hill) and short ride on the MTR into Central.

We didn’t eat at all in the hotel, but did go up for a quick drink at the bar at the top of the building. View was very nice, but was informed I couldn’t sit in the lounge because they were operating a no socks rule. I had shorts on and loafers which amused us somewhat. Needless to say we didn’t get that drink. Apart from that everything else was positive. Room was a good size for Hong Kong, excellent views and nice sized bathroom with large multi headed shower area.

Some of the décor in the corridors could probably do with updating a little, but aside from that we found the experience to be very good value, considering the views of the harbour and island location.

Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

Harbour grand brought me great experiences with excellent service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Was in HK for a business trip. East Hotel which was situated right across from my office was fully booked, hence went for Harbour Grand. This was my first stay with Harbour Grand which is part of Preferred Hotel Group (PHG) chain.

Pro: Service was quite good...I've forgotten to bring my phone charger with me and the concierge desk has helped me to charge my phone for a few times until I've managed to buy a new charger. Staff was very friendly as well and gives good direction when I was asking about nearby 7 eleven, MRT station, food places, etc. Room is of decent size (comparing to other hotels in HK). Higher floor is recommended as the view is much nicer.

Con: as hotel is quite new, my taxi driver was actually having trouble finding it. I speak fluent Cantonese and was conversing with the driver but since I don't know the roads of HK, I ended up having to call the hotel then let the driver talk to the hotel staff to get direction. Also after my business trip has ended, I've decided to extend my stay for 2 more nights and tried to book online. However, the hotel's website does not take Amex which is a bit annoying so I ended up have to go downstairs to reception to make the booking.

Overall, a pretty good experience and I wouldn't mind staying here again. If hotel will accept Amex online, I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Walking into the lobby area of the Harbour Grand Hong Kong on Oil Street is like walking onto a marble skating rink, especially when you see the grand Art Deco design on the marble floor. The entrance space is humongous and very spacious making the check-in comfortable.

The Art Deco design is carried forward throughout the whole design of the hotel. From the elevators, to the hallway carpets and of course into your room. The rooms have a stunning unobstructed view of Hong Kong harbour which is always a plus. Although the rooms are a bit narrow and longish in layout, they're still quite comfortable.

What is very odd though is the bathroom. Of course it's stylish. But as often happens, style doesn't translate into functionality. The sink has an oval design and right above it hangs a round mirror. It nearly seems like the mirror is levitating above the sink. The problem though is that when you brush your teeth, you wack your head in the mirror! When you wash your hands, you splash water all over the counter. It's all a bit tight. But then you have a huge round tub with a rain shower which is somewhat a waste of space. Although I have to admit, I did like the large mirror wall in the shower, where the taps are located. While you shower you get to see the full you. Quite sexay :-)

The hotel has a superb rooftop restaurant and bar on the 41st floor - Le 188. Outstanding views and an outstanding rack of lamb. Loved it.

Room Tip: Definitely a high floor facing HK Harbour
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Nothing Grand about this place and certainly not it's management. Is this hotel really so desperate to rip off guests or is it just the "A Director of Guest Services that might be well advised to check his attitude compatibility with his designation"?

Photography Backpacking to Hong Kong. Checking various hotels through the various channels I finally ended up booking the Harbour Grand, which turned out to be a fake not only in realistic product photography but also in "hospitality".

After some 3.5 hours delay sitting in the plane almost all day I arrived late at the Harbour Grand and was pleasantly surprised about the smooth and smiling check in by Zie ….. The first impression of the hotel however already was dull and dark rather than bright, vibrant and welcoming as their product photography over promises.

The rooms are rather small and without taking measure one would doubt the internet shared sqm sizes just from eye measure. I was granted an availability resulting "upgrade" to a "premier harbour view room" turning out to be a "premier construction view room". The room appeared as dull as the first impression with some interesting design elements like a jacuzzi/shower with mirror or a mirror over the handwash basin sort of preventing you to wash your face without either bouncing against it or spilling water on the floor. Stylish idea, poor execution.

Internet is advertised free of charge and good to see was the hotel in fact thought this further and enables two devices per room to be connected. The high speed however turns out to be lame and can be considered "high" with occupancies of 10 -30 % at best. Since I was curious I tried to run a speedtest but a savy IT team seems to have barred such services, obviously for good reason. Just good it is free I thought, otherwise I'd be complaining about a lame chargeable service. Only after check out I had to realise I was ripped off being charged internet usage advertised on Agoda as "free LAN and WiFi".

Breakfast is served only until 1030 but the service is quite pleasant. The atmosphere is rather canteen style loud but the buffet choice for a 4 star hotel is quite good. The egg dish station however is continuously overloaded with guests queuing and you really need to pick the right moment in time to get an omlette or so. The coffee was so lala. Surprised about the breakfast bill they bring you daily half way through the breakfast I asked the team every time what this is about since my breakfast was included in the room rate. Always book a b&b package and although this was the first time I booked through Agoda I was till my check out convinced which is why I questioned this every time they made me sign for breakfast. The staff then told me this is standard procedure verifying breakfast consumption only, the last day in fact I was even more surprised when the breakfast all of a sudden had an even higher price. Leaving the restaurant I emphasised at the counter again my rate was including breakfast, which had been confirmed by the restaurant staff before. Again the ladies behind the counter advise me of this to be the usual practice.

The weather was horrible so I had the choice of being stuck in a dull room with lame internet or discovering the city in between the rain showers which I tried to manage as good as I could.

In between I wanted to get to the hotels rooftop terrace showcased on the website which for a hobby photographer was one reason to choose this hotel, I had to realise the same was closed for construction which I had not been informed until the staff on the 41st floor advised me of the same. The lounge, not part of my package, and a restaurant with amazing view over the harbour was however open. Not an option to photograph but at least to enjoy the view for a few minutes.

Not one word was mentioned on the hotel website or Agoda about construction work on the rooftop terrace, obviously a hotel feature a guest would like to see and enjoy. No word about the pool maintenance work. No word about the construction site right next to the pool with diggers in the mud literally some few meters away only resulting in obvious noise and pollution.

The last evening coming back to the hotel I realised I had to extend my stay for another one or two nights to finish some paperwork in town so I checked the internet what's available in town and of course also checked the Harbour Grand. Since I was already in the hotel I decided to call the front desk like several times before for other matters realising again no one really bothered to pick up the phone despite the fact that when ever you passed the lobby there were 5,6,7 staff.

A bit annoyed I pressed the button for Guest Service and when the telephone operator picked up the phone I asked for the Guest Service Manager, I was passed to a gentlemen who introduced himself as the duty manager. My request for an extension was responded to with HK $ 1900 or HK $ 1960, I was quite surprised if not to say annoyed about this strange business practice since the hotel was advertising through Agoda and other channels just over ~HK $ 1300. Suspicious I inquired about the reasoning for this approach and was advised "ahh, let me check if I can do a discount"…, which considering the rate available in the market for some of the 5* hotels I gladly declined advising I will book elsewhere.

Another strange thing was the various papers/messages I found underneath my door every time I came back to the room. I in principle put the "do not disturb" sign on since I tend to have very sensitive I value photography equipment with me which I don't like to be moved around or similar. Coming back to the room I find a notice for the housekeeping not being able to clean my room which is what one is used to also from other hotels. In this special hotel I however had almost daily more of such notes apart from the housekeeping. One day it was that the hotel would enter my room the next morning for pest control purpose, no request no touch of hospitality but a stone cold information by means of a pre printed cardboard notice under the door. The other day I was advised that the last two days of my stay there was some pool maintenance requiring closure of the pool. While the hotel already called the first or second night trying to sell me an extension, which I at that point in time didn't require they seemed to opt for a sequence of "message under the door style" of guest communication rather than guest service.

In between I needed a taxi and the gentlemen at the door advised me it is most difficult for the hotel to get taxi for guests and he had already sent 3 bellboys to fetch some, the queue was building up…

The last day then I had a late breakfast which was apart from the strange situation with the above outline breakfast slip and differing price managed well by the restaurant supervisor. The staff overall, pretty much with one exception was quite pleasant.

With this accumulation of odd situations the worst however was still to come upon checkout. I went to the reception to check out, as usual 5-6 staff with 4 of them busy. Approaching the one staff that only looked at me when I asked she pointed me to another counter as she was obviously too busy talking to her colleague. At the next counter I waited then until the young gentlemen behind the reception indicated he was ready for me. I asked for check out and was advised that there were only breakfast charges but he wanted to correct one breakfast charge as it wasn't discounted yet. I obviously objected immediately advising I had booked a bed and breakfast package via Agoda. The young gentlemen check and advised me that this must be a misunderstanding as my reservation was indicating "breakfast - no", in fact folding his reservation paper so I couldn't see the other half he showed me the breakfast column indicating "no". I again advised that I'm sure I had booked a bed and breakfast package which I in fact always do. The young gentlemen insisted and since I had explained to him the experience with the breakfast bill in the restaurant he obviously also doubted the situation and opted to get his manager. A minute later a young gentlemen passing his business card "Director of Guest Service" appeared. I started again to illustrate the experience with the breakfast signatures and without even showing the slightest interest the young man insisted in the charge. I repeated but without success. The body language and attitude of the young man was everything other than hospitable and since the argumentation was ignorant I advised him that they would have the obligation to at least advise me the breakfast is chargeable especially since I queried the signature daily in the restaurant. Without checking or showing any sign of interest the "Director Guest Service" insisted for me to pay my bill. After some back and forth several times I finally gave up advising the young man he would hear from me as I thought to dispute the charge with Agoda and my credit card institution. I was obviously surprised and most upset about this shady business practice more even about the ignorance as I only realised when I had walked out the door with my bill in hands that I had not only been charged for breakfast, I had on top of it been charged two different prices for exactly the same breakfast buffet and further I had been charged HK $ 130 for the "in-room internet" which I was advised would be free up to two devices.

In all the years I come to Hong Kong now this was really the worst hotel experience ever. Had one not so wow stay some 2-3 years ago but there the management response at least was professional. The Harbour Grand Management can at best be called ignorant and arrogant.

Since I opted for a way better hotel booking my extension I checked later the reservation with Agoda and had to realise I indeed had a confirmation excluding breakfast, which however does not justify the continuous miscommunication of the Restaurant staff and less it justifies the attitude of the so called Director of Guest Services. Neither it justifies the internet charge, fake over promising pictures, no information about various construction works….

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank RolandUO
Benoit H, Director of Sales at Harbour Grand Hong Kong, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Dear "RolandUO"

I am sincerely sorry that we have failed to provide a service that was up to your expectations and I apologize for your unpleasant experience at the hotel.

Having reviewed your comments, I would like to reconfirm that your rate did include internet access with a maximum of up to 2 devices per 24hrs period. Unfortunately, there was an additional charge on the day of your departure. On the other hand, as mentioned during check out, the breakfast was not included in the rate you booked and should be paid for ( I have further noted that, on one occasion, you were charged the preferential rate). Nevertheless I have noted your comments about the handling of your enquiry by the restaurant staff and this will be reviewed by our Food & Beverage Director to ensure there is no misunderstanding about the charges.

I also wanted to reconfirm that we had arranged a complimentary upgrade on your arrival to our Premier Room. When you enquired about the extension rate, our manager did base the extension on the original room category booked - Grand Deluxe room. According to our record the rate you had found on the internet was for a Deluxe room which is a lower room category, explaining the difference in price.

I finally wanted to reassure this is certainly not the level of service that we aim to deliver. I have also made a note in particular about the service provided by our Director of Guest Services which is rather unusual as he has received many compliments from other guests.

Nevertheless, I am once again sincerely sorry about the poor experience and we will surely review your feedback with all concerned staff ; I also wanted to thank you for bringing your experience to our attention so that we have an opportunity to improve.

Best Regards