“Not if you want a restful and peaceful hotel”

Harbour Grand Hong Kong
Ranked #53 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 5 July 2014

On entering the lobby it is very impressive. But everywhere around it there is construction around. Very noisy from early in the morning till about 6 pm. The room was small. Internet is $130 HK per day which is intermittent. Room not made up till late 3.30pm. They wash the dishes in the bathroom and there was always something that was not done. My husband was bitten the first two nights got them to completely strip and change the bed and sprays he room but they only did it after we made a scene in the lobby. Concierge desk wasn't great minimum information given. To eat at the hotel is very expensive, buffet AUD $80 per person, mains approx $30 upwards. Very few outside restaurants around beside Maccas, Pizza Hut and Burger King. There is a Starbucks close by which is a saving grace and if it weren't for the MTR it would have been a really horrible stay. It is in an area which is like a mechanical industrial area. This is supposed to be a 4/5 star hotel.

Room Tip: If I were to do it again and stayed here, which I wouldn't I would go for a Harbour Club Room...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wendy D
Benoit H, Manager at Harbour Grand Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear "Wendy H"

Greetings from Harbour Grand Hong Kong,

I firstly would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am sincerely sorry that our services were not up to your expectations.

I also would like to reassure you that we had arranged a deep cleaning as well as a change of all the linen and a preventive pest control in your room on the day you reported the insect bites.

I have also noted your other comments and I will review them with the departments concerned as this is certainly not our usual level of service.

In the meantime, please accept my apologies for the shortfalls you have experienced and kindly shared with us so that we have an opportunity to rectify those.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed at the Harbour Grand for 5 days beautiful hotel. we had a club deluxe room which had harbour view and a high floor (31) which was fantastic I could sit there for hours and watch the activity on the river. We also had access to the club lounge for breakfast afternoon tea and drinks with canopies, which was great value for money. The hotel was very central for getting about and I must admit reading the previous reviews we found the staff very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor with river view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen H
Benoit H, Manager at Harbour Grand Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear "Helen H",

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience with fellow travelers.

I do agree with you that the view over the harbour from any of our rooms is great. I am also pleased to read that all our services and facilities, epsecially the one offered by our Harbour club staff, were up to your expectations.

My team and I will look forward in welcoming you back

Benoit Heumez
Director of Guest Services (benoith@harbourgrand.com)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed for a week at the Harbour Grand Hong Kong last summer (august 2013) with my sister and my mother. This was the first stop of my 6 months trip in Asia. Let's go over the whole experience:

1)Getting there: There are two convenient ways to get there: the MTR (subway) and the Hotel Shuttle... Both are quick and will get you to the city center in about 15 minutes, maybe more at peak hours. The MTR is located within walking distance from the hotel and will allow you to travel anywhere on the island very quickly.

2) The facilities: The pool is AMAZING. It's beautiful and you could stay there all day, particularly during hot summer days. The gym is nice too, modern and is not busy at all, a good thing. Now... you have to pay for wifi in the hotel, even in the lobby... come on move on to the 21st century, everybody needs wifi and most competing properties offer free wifi. The lobby looks amazing but the rooms really do not live up to expectations.

3) The rooms: The rooms are quite small (i would say average in HK terms) and are fairly outdated. If the only problem was the outdated rooms, it would still be ok, but our was very DIrty. It's good to have a huge bathtub in the bathroom, but ours had hairs stuck in many places. It was cleaned after we complained, but the damage was done, I did not use the bathtub for the rest of my stay. The AC is quite loud as well and it can make it challenging to have a good night of sleep...but when asked, the staff told us that it was the same everywhere in the hotel.

4) Service: The service doesn't live up to five stars expectations. We arrived at 4 PM but our room still wasn't ready so the staff told us to wait in the bar in gave us coupons for drinks. After nearly an hour, we still had no news and I had to stand in line again to talk to somebody at the front desk who just told me they had forgotten and the room was actually ready. Overall it is pretty hard to get a smile from the staff and it's far... far away from a luxury service...

Overall, not worth the money. There are better properties on the island for the price. I would give the hotel a 3 to 4 stars ratings only and they should up their game to really play in the luxury field

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank valischer

Dear "Valischer"

Greetings from Harbour Grand Hong Kong,

I am certainly sorry if some of our services were not up to your expectations. I would appreciate if you could please contact me directly with your name and room number so that we can fully investigate the points you mentioned. This will also allow us to implement any remedial actions as this is definitely not the level of service that we usually deliver.

Also please note that since your visit in 2013, we are now offering free internet access to all direct, web and most of agents' bookings.

Once again, please accept my apologies for the shortfalls you have experienced and kindly shared with us so that we have an opportunity to rectify those.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Beautiful and very grand hotel,stunning reception area with a beautiful harpist playing nightly, all staff more than helpful from receptionists to bell boys to chamber maids.premier room quite compact ,beds so comfortable and 12 choices of pillows to choose from.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank robert l

Dear "Robert I"

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisors.

I am pleased to read that you have taken advantage of our Pillow Menu. Also thank you for acknowledgeing the hardwork from all our staff - from Doormean to Housekeeping ambassadors - who provided you with a helpful service

My team and I will look forward in welcoming you back.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed with my family from June 25-29. The location of the hotel is fantastic just on the edge of the harbour with great sea views( please go for the harbour view rooms-it is worth it).However there are definite improvements needed particularly in the professionalism of staff.
We had booked the Club Harbour Deluxe room and on checking in at the Club floor the lady coaxed us to pay HKD 250 per night extra for the higher grade room. We asked to see both rooms and decide but she told us that is not possible and we can only see pictures. She finally persuaded us to pay more. This was indeed not all all professional and appeared like an effort to just make more money.
The Club rooms have the benefit of the use of the Club lounge. The next day we went there and had a guest with us. The same lady stopped us and loudly said that the third guest cannot eat or drink in the lounge and if that happens we will be charged. Again completely non-professional. If she had to say something that could be said much more discreetly.
There are also touches which stop this hotel from being a true luxury 5*. At the buffet breakfast they dont keep bottled water and only tap water is available and if you ask for bottled water you are bluntly told that you will be charged.
The hotel possibly has the best harbour view location but needs to train its staff to know how to interact with guests appropriate for a 5* hotel.

Room Tip: ensure to take a harbour view room, that is the USP of this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This is our 6th stay at the Harbour Grand in 2 years and we are now becoming frustrated with the unhelpful attitude of the management team.

My wife had booked 7 nights in a standard room and upgraded to a club room for the final 3 nights when my son and I joined her. We had booked through bookings.com and we had made it clear that we required a room for 3 people and had paid extra to reserve this. However when she asked to be moved for the final 3 nights the management team refused to honour this. Insisted we pay extra for a rollaway bed for our son despite us having the paperwork indicating we had reserved a triple room. We then had to liaise with bookings.com to get this refunded. Not the service you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

The club lounge and in particular the staff were extremely helpful and had clearly been well trained. The pool area was good although staff appeared to try and use any excuse, usually the weather, to shut down the facility. On more than one occasion she had to insist they keep it open and offered to sign a disclaimer so she could use it.

Breakfasts in the main restaurant were excellent. However the reason we had used this eating area was due to misinformation from the staff in the club lounge. On the day of the upgrade to the Club lounge she asked a member of staff what time breakfast was served in the lounge. She was told 11am. On arrival at 10.15 am we were told it stopped at 10am although we could use the main restaurant for breakfast as that served food until a bit later than the lounge. The food was excellent and catered for both Asian and European tastes. The egg station was particularly good and the chef was friendly and produced excellent food.

Another awkward situation arose on our last morning. We decided to try breakfast in the Executive lounge on the 41st floor. However our don was not impressed with the limited good available compared to the main restaurant and decided to visit the main restaurant, while we ate in the lounge.

Around 25 minutes later a member of staff from the main restaurant arrived in the executive lounge demanding I pay £20 for my don having breakfast. I explained that I had already paid for the breakfasts through our premium rated for the club rooms and I would not be paying again. My don told me he had been pressurised by the member of staff and a manager in the main restaurant to sign the bill which he had sensibly refused to do.

I then explained the scenario to a member of the club lounge team. She suggested that thy simply wanted confirmation that he had eaten in the main restaurant. However this was completely at odds with what my son had said insisting he had to pay £20 for eating in the other restaurant.

Overall these experiences left a sour taste. All the more do since we had been frequent customers of the hotel. It appears to us that under the veneer of customer care, there is a management culture of squeezing additional costs out of you for the flimsiest of reasons. Not what you expect from a 5 star hotel and certainly not from one of their most regular customers.

For these reasons we think it highly unlikely we will stay again when we return twice tonHong Kong next year for 20 days.

Room Tip: Recommend upgrading to the Club rooms if finances allow.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here for a conference in Oktober 2013 and and stayed a second time May 2014.
This will not be my last visit to Harbour Grand.
Good value for Money with excellent service.
If you ever try the Harbour Club Floor you never will miss this Again, perfect service and always helpfull staff.

Room Tip: Choose the Club floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business