“Great Stay”

Harbour Grand Hong Kong
Ranked #50 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed 14 January 2010

We wanted to stay on the Kowloon side but was very glad we ended up on the Hong Kong side and in this hotel. The hotel is within a working - car repair - area but I am sure in a few years the area will be gentrified (though I really hope it won't become too touristy). It's very safe and conveniently located down a block from the MTR.

We asked for a room with a pantry; housekeeping provides the kitchen stuff if requested. We only needed the microwave to warm up water for baby cereal so we didn't request the other stuff. You also have to call to have them plug in the microwave. We had great views of both sides of the harbor from our rooms on the 20th and 17th floors (we went to Macau and came back). The windows are in the corner as opposed to right next to the bed, but I was fine with it since our toddler was with us and I didn't want the lights to distract his sleep. I just sat on the ledge and looked out after putting baby to sleep. I could see the harbor from bed but the view was definitely better closer to the window. The pier right outside of the hotel also provides great view (and nice city skyline photo op) as well and is a nice little area for a toddler to run around.

The bathroom does have the glass wall, but there's a screen you can roll down to have your privacy. The hotel should label the switch inside the bathroom because I first thought it was for the hair dryer until I pushed on it and saw the screen come down.

Service overall is great though the concierge could have been more informative about good places to grab a bite outside of the hotel. Perhaps they don't know since they may not have tried the food around the area or perhaps they can't say anything since they want you to eat in the hotel, I don't know. They showed my husband a street that they said has many restaurants (this was near midnight after we checked in), but the food we tried there were awful. Luckily we bought a WOM guide to help us find a few nearby restaurants. We didn't try the food in the hotel since we had so much other places to try as we went about the city.

I also like the complimentary shuttle to the Hong Kong station for the Airport Express. The shuttle also takes you to other places but I can't remember what they are - Wan Chai, Causeway Bay's World Trade Center... And there's another shuttle that takes you to Cityplaza, Tai Koo Shing and a few other places. These are all places that are easily accessible from the MTR but the shuttle is free.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Faith1123
There are newer reviews for Harbour Grand Hong Kong

Reviewed 6 January 2010

We arrived at Harbour Grand having just stayed at Sofitel Macau and Intercontental Grand Stanford (Kowloon), and this was to be the icing on the cake of our trip.
On arrival about 3.00pm my husband was initally ignored at check in but was finally dealt to promptly. We had booked a delux harbour room and when we got into it were really dissapointed. It was a corner room with one window looking into the accomodation blocks of North Point and the other looking at the harbour. We had expected a full harbour view as we had had the week before in Kowloon. We returned to reception and ended up paying extra for a 'premium harbour view room' which was totally up to what we expected, but did have to wait 2 hours for it to become available and cleaned.
The hotel has a a 'funky' - 'clenical' feel and there seems to be numerous staff wandering around the lobby, however there were always plenty of doorman racing to open the door for you on entry and exiting. The hotel is only two streets away (2 mins) from McDonalds, Subway, Ollivers Sandwiches and Laundry in second street (big bag of washing only $HK30 dollars and ready the next day). MTR at end of road also and we caught the tram several times down to places we needed. Interesting selection of car maintenance shops and tyre repairs out on the footpath, so be careful when walking past the equipment and grime underfoot, as I did slip one day on some oil / grime ? on the pavement and ended up in the gutter.....it is called 'oil street' afterall, so I should have known. Just wish I knew what they were saying as I picked myself up and hobbled away before examing the damage.....bet I was talk of the street that day. We did go up to the 41st floor lounge bar and had a drink one night - awesome view however they have a big advertising neon billboard above the windows and is rather distracting as it flashs up the latest specials etc......took away alot of the ambience of the place I thought, so sit on the right hand side if possible not the left. No complaints about the breakfast included in the room. There is something there for everyone and would be the best buffet I have seen in a hotel. The breakfast room is also nice and bright and great views over pool or harbour. Overall the hotel was up to standard but lacked a 'warm - welcoming' feel.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hangar2jo
Reviewed 2 January 2010

Second trip to Hong Kong and first time at the Harbour Grand for a very short stay of two nights, didn't fail to satisfy. Very efficient staff dealt swiftly and professionally with check-in, and responded quickly to a request for additional supplies for the room.

The location was fine for getting into Central rapidly and good views of the river to be had from rooms on upper floors. Catering was superior and all in all a very good experience. Couldn't fault a thing.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank timpaws
Reviewed 29 December 2009

Fantastic new hotel - Harbour Grand on Hong Kong Island. Beautiful - espaecially at Christmas! Couldn't fault the rooms and service (though the glass walls in the bathroom must be a bit disconcerting for those on a romantic spree.) All the rooms have fantastic 'postcard views' over the harbour. The service was impeccable and cheerful. Bars/meals a bit pricey but to be expected - there is a good SUBWAY at the corner of oil street if you want a huge sandwich, and plenty of other bars/restaurants.Watch out for the 10% surcharge which seems normal for HK hotels and restaurants.
Regarding the areass, yes, there is an old bath on the street, but it hasn't just been 'dumped' it is part of a tyre repair shop - the Harbour Grand is indeed in a 'working area' of Hong Kong - but if a bath in the street is the worst thing you encounter on your travels, then you are not travelling to any interesting places! Vive la difference and enjoy these different experiences!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
5  Thank trescomania
Reviewed 26 December 2009

We stayed at the Harbour Grand for 3 nights in September. We chose the hotel because of the price and specifically for the harbour views. I had stayed in a hotel previously in HK with a great view and I wanted my wife to enjoy the same experience so we paid a little extra and booked a "Grand Deluxe Harbour View room". I must say I was a little disapointed at the room and the layout. The view was there but you had to crane your neck a little because of the poor layout with a desk and table in the way and the windows were actually in the corner of the room. The design could have been much better to optimize the view. Anyway it was still a nice place and we were upgraded to the 41st floor so it was enjoyable. The restuarant/bar at the top had spectatular views at night, well worth a visit,

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wareinbelgium
Reviewed 20 December 2009

A perfect location for a hotel, overlooking both sides of Hongkong, a great view specially at night, accessible to all types of transportation,great hotel staff, couldn't ask for more

Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank LilianJ3
Reviewed 20 December 2009

I spent my honeymoon with my wife from 10th Dec to 17th Dec in this hotel.

Notes on location: -
The hotel is located in a not so touristy suburb - there is an AIA tower nearby, Govt. supplies department, a big public parking lot managed by wilson, few small mechanic shops, some restaurants and 7 eleven. It is very close to Fortress Hill MTR station Exit A and is a 3-5 mins walk to reach the MTR from the hotel. As you walk along the Oil street, the hotel appears to be strategically located at the waterfront as the street terminates there. The restaurants nearby include Subway,MacD,Burger King,Starbucks and Maxim's cakes. These proved helpful for vegetarians like us. There is also a superstore Wellcome that stocked many fruits/snacks/breads for vegetarians. There are 2 Indian restaurants nearby within walking distance - Chillie Graden and Palki

Notes on hotel:-
The hotel is grand in looks both inside and outside and has a 5 star feel to it. It has a grand lobby and high speed lifts. The staff of hotel is cheerful,very helpful. When we arrived at the hotel, we were very tired and on enquiring about the reservation was duly attended. We had to submit 3000 HKD in advance as security for the use of hotel facilities. I was not with enough cash and the hotel reception graciously accepted 1000 HKD as token deposit.

Notes on hotel room:-
We had reserved Grand deluxe room on 29th floor. The room was quite spacious for us with avg. height of 5 feet and 2 inches. The room is quite luxurious and offers many facilities like LCD TV,DVD player, LAN connection, minibar, toilet facilities, wardrobe, electric kettle. The bathroom is very clean and the toiletries good to use. The bathroom has glass walls and hence there is no privacy. The room has two windows - one at 90 degree to the other. One window offers the view of the city and the other a breathtaking view of the harbour and Kowloon side. The room has a nice and comfortable bed and has many drawers to store things.

Some considerations/negatives:
1) The hotel staff though very cooperative and helpful, will never go too much out of the way or treat you like royalty even if you are on honeymoon. Frankly, I had expected that we will be daily surprised with compilmentary gifts. We had received a complimentary bottle of champagne on first night in the hotel.

2) The housekeeping staff is not well versed with English. There used to be many cases of miscommunication thus resulting in the housekeeping bring less no. of water bottles or creamers. However they were prompt in bringing it.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple