“Friendly staff, decent room”
Review of Chung Kiu Inn

Chung Kiu Inn
Chung Kiu Inn
Ranked #509 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Bergschenhoek, The Netherlands
“Friendly staff, decent room”
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

After staying at another guesthouse on Nathan road this guesthouse was certainly a nice change.it was a bit hard to locate the building and get in contact with the staff. The guard on the ground floor called a lady who came down to see us and take us to another building on block down the road. The lady was very friendly and explained things in detail.

The room was recently refurbished and a bit bigger than the other guesthouse. Unfortunately towels and toiletry weren't prepared.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jsteenderen

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 16 April 2013

we arrive from abroad, and made a no-payment booking, were charge a way higher price than the booking , they took advantange of us because we had been travelling for a long time, and knew we wouldn't look for another hotel. Worse still ,we were given the cleaning helper rooms because they rented out our booked room , the room was seedy, depressing, the bathroom was broken. When I got up at 10am , the Lady owner , or manager said "pay money, pay money" in a very rude way, since we had paid the night and the payment wasn't due until 12m that morning.
she tried to charge me the 3 days I was planning to stay. This inn should be out of market and people should be buyer beware and never stay in this place. we were charged 900HKD for a domestic helpers' room (their clothes , and slippers were in our room) and they previously agreed was 700 HKD per night. The worst experience ever in Hong Kong. It's a shame this place for hong Kong people, the tourism board of HK should intervine and watch closely how they scam the newcomers to HK.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank johntrob

Travellers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Philippines
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I stayed here for five days with my family. It was hard to locate because the entrance of the building where it's at is really small so we kind of got lost so we had to ask a couple of people but it was just beside the newsstand of the Hong Kong Mansion building.

We booked a room with 1 double bed and a single bed with a private bathroom with hot and cold shower, a/c, television and a small fridge.They also provide free wifi. Room was quite small but is enough to fit in our luggage and shopping bags. We had a nice view of Yee Wo Street and SOGO from our room window. It was also clean and the staff make the bed and clean it every day. They provide clean towels, toiletries such as toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, and shampoo. There is also a microwave oven, hot water dispenser and hair dryer that you can borrow and use anytime. They also provide you with your own key but you will need to give a deposit of 10HKD but they will return it to you after you check out.

The location of their building is really nice because it is beside the Causeway Bay MTR station and right in front of the building are bus stops and the tram. It is a few steps from the shopping malls such as SOGO, Laforet, Island Beverly etc. It is also just a few blocks away from Times Square and Victoria Park.

Booking was easy because the owner writes good English and we communicated only through email but it was hard to communicate with them and the staff in person. They are not as friendly as expected but learning from my experience, most HK people are really business-minded and are very busy. Upon paying in full before we checked-in everything went fine.

Overall the experience with this hostel was okay and I would not mind staying there again in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed at their room with windows so we got to see a good view of Yee Wo Street. I forgot our roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Xiamen,
Reviewed 19 August 2012

advertised prices are lies and if white will pay more.place is dirty and unfriendly.was 29 minutes late for check out and after being over charged,the owners kept key deposit 150$.cats live in office and they bite and scratch.location nice but can take train easily to area.can do much better with a little effort.took only because nothing else available..

Room Tip: get prices on paper before arriving
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank captcul
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2012

We found the recption building easily, however our actual room was in a different building on a different block (so expect to walk a bit further) - they let you leave the key in the room when you check out, so you dont need to walk back to reception. Also our building had stairs to get to the elevator, so you might struggle a bit if your bag is full of HK shopping!.

Room was basic, containing TV, fridge and small table. Bed was very hard and not that comfortable (still slept well tho after big days in HK). Private bathroom very small as well.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShaunJ_10
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I booked a single room with private bathroom. What I get is a shared bathroom. You may want to confirm first and check the room before paying.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 December 2011

After searching high and low for a hostel in Causeway Bay, I finally settled on Chung Kiu Inn and I was on a work trip and wasn't looking for one of those youth hostels. I managed to secure a room despite confirming only in mid November (you know how crazy the hotel/hostel industry is in Hong Kong).

The place was relatively easy to find, just follow the directions given by the hostel, that is to exit from Exit E from Causeway Bay, walk straight and you will be walking along Yee Woo Street, walk about 200m and you will see a magazine makeshift stall at the entrance of the Hong Kong Mansion. Take the lift to the 15F and to your right, you will see some sort of Clinic signboard, but it's also the "reception" for the hostel. I was lucky to meet the owners of the hostel at the ground floor when I was reaching. They were very nice and friendly as they led me to the clinic while I waited to be checked in.

I paid for about 500HK per night (technically it's 250HK per person per night but I booked a room for two, so yeah). I paid a deposit for 2 nights to secure my room but that also meant that I had to pay extra 15HK due to the bank's commission.

I was brought to another unit on the same floor, which turned out to be the hostel. In the unit itself, there were about 6 rooms and 1 common toilet. So you would have two keys, one to the main unit and one to your room itself. You must put a deposit of 100HK in case you lose the keys. My room was 1502 and it is just right outside the fridge and the hot water dispenser.

Now the room - very basic but very good enough for me who just needed a place to sleep and shower. The beds were comfy enough for a hostel (I wasn't expecting hotel standard kind of mattress). The blankets were thick enough for the cold weather (first 3 nights actually), but the last 2 nights were a little too cold for someone like me who came from a tropical country. There was no heater provided, closing the windows didn't help warm the room, but I made do. The toilet was really small but that was expected too. But the flush was working well, the showerhead was working well, so no complains. They were considerate to provide hangers (I actually brought my own but it wasn't needed!). No hairdryer provided, but thankfully I brought my own. A traditional flask is provided in the room, which was really really helpful. Used it to store the hot water and it does keep the water hot for the whole night!! A small TV with 3 channels kept me company during the night and a small aircon unit which I am still wondering until today whether it works or not. They make your bed daily so you come 'home' to a neat bed every night. And for the record, the bath towels that they provide? It's way cleaner than the ones that was provided in a hotel in Malaysia. They also provide toothbrush/paste but I didn't need them as I brought my own.

I managed to peek into a single room as someone probably just checked out and the room was open. It doesn't have an attached bathroom but it was sooo small that I doubt I could put my luggage any where except on the bed. Thank gawd I didn't book the single room.

Couldn't sleep until about 2am on the first night due to the noise outside. It's Causeway Bay so this is expected.

What I love about this location is also because my flight was 7am in the morning, hence I had to take the night rider (save the money!) and the bus stop is just directly outside the mansion! N11 goes all the way to the airport and it costs about 30HK using the Octopus card.

So overall, I would love to stay in this hostel again but Causeway Bay is really not the kind of shopping area I'd frequent, so I might stay in TST or Mongkok area next time (sigh, gotta source for new hostels again!).

Room Tip: request for room 1502 is possible!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo