“Small but oh so very convenient”

and 1 more site!
Golden Island Guesthouse
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

First off, if you're not used to cheap accommodation, you won't have a good time. However, we really enjoyed our stay. The location was great on Nathan Road, between two MTR stations, near a market and lots of cheap eats. The building was a little rundown but who cares. One staff spoke English, the rest would call her and pass you the phone if needed, all were nice. We were also able to get next day Chinese visas, no hassle. Yes the room and bathroom were small and cramped but you get a private bathroom, air-conditioning, a kettle and a TV, can't complain really. Expensive for what you get but the cheapest we could find out of the mansions. Really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Megan L
There are newer reviews for Golden Island Guesthouse

Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

The location is not good; while marketed as located by the Nathan street stop, it's actually a decent walk away. You can find lodgings for the same price and more centrally located at Chungking Mansion.

Staff only speaks Cantonese and very limited Mandarin/English. Even though I made a reservation, they had over-booked.

After walking a very long time, the staff dropped me off at one of their sister guesthouses (I believe it was called Jordan House). While inspecting the room, I found dried blood on the sheets. After pulling back the covers, I found a live bedbug.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The room is pretty small as reviewed before (bathroom just fits one person to stand). However, i can get what i need for a short stay in HK. With a good location i.e. very near Jordan and Yau Ma Tei MRT, Temple Martket, a lot of shops outside, i will recommend this place to those looking for an affordable hostel in HK

Room Tip: If you go with 2, a double room is better and a twin room
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 March 2013

If you are looking for a place to sleep only then this hotel is ok. This is best for budget travellers.
It is cheap and located on a great area. It is between Jordan and Yau ma tei mtr station. Only few minutes walk to any of these stations. The building has few little stores that stays up until 2am. It may look a lil creepy because of the busy area and old building but the place is very safe. There's cctv camera installed on every corner of the building. There's lots of restaurants on the area also so getting food is a not a problem even if the hotel doesn't have restaurant. They have wifi in the room but for some reason my last stay their wifi wasn't really working good. I kept asking the staff to refresh the router from to time. It was quiet frustrating especially during late night because i don't really want to wake the staff. They have available hot and cold water at the little lobby and also kettle and coffee mug. Iron is available also.
I paid about 65$ each night. Though i think it's still expensive for a backpacker because you can get it as cheap as 20$ at Chungking Mansion i didn't regret it. This place and the area s way better than Chungking. It's not as noisy and smelly.
The staff are very nice although most of them cant speak english they try to accommodate your needs.
The room is very small just enough for the double bed and for a luggage. It has tv also but very ancient model. :D Bathroom is small but hot water work just fine.
I would look for other hotel if ever i come back to HK however if it's busy season and i cant find a good and affordable hotel i wont mind staying at this place again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2012

This is the smallest hostel out of all the ones I've ever stayed at. We chose this place because it had pretty good reviews at the time, but I was really surprised at the size and how rundown this place was, even for a cheap hostel in HK.

Pros:
-close to the subway station
-super cheap
-you can get a clean towel every day (they take it from your room, but don't replace them so you must go to the front desk to get it yourself)

Cons:
-VERY, VERY small. We had a 3 bed private ensuite. The 3rd bed is a pull-out, so you pull it out from one of the beds and that person sleeps squished between and below the 2 beds. The only room to put your suitcase is at the foot of beds because the beds take up the entire width of the room. The bathroom is barely big enough to turn around in. You shower literally above the toilet (think of the size of a stall in a public restroom).
-The room was cleaned every day, although the sheets were never changed. Despite being cleaned, the bathroom still had a very bad odor to it.
-Saw several geicos/lizards during our stay. We were missing several ceiling tiles in our room so that may have been how they got in.
-Jessie is accomodating and helpful, but the rest of her family (I believe they might be her parents) made me and my friends feel slightly uncomfortable. They just stare at you nonstop when you go to the front desk.
-This hostel only takes up part of this building, and the first floor smelled like trash every day. That may just be because it's HK, though.
-There was a clock in the hallway with an alarm that went off EVERY morning at 4. We tried to fix it so it wouldn't, but it was like that for almost the entire trip.

I've stayed at a lot of hostels, including capsule hostels in Japan, and I really would not recommend this place. My brother recently went to HK and booked a nice hotel that was a lot more expensive than this place I stayed in, but looking at his pictures I feel that having a comfortable stay is very important and worth the extra money. Hong Kong is pretty small and bus/taxi fare cheap, so even if you have a hostel/hotel that is not too central, you can still get around easily. We settled on this place based on price and location, but if I could go back in time, I would've chosen differently.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank worldtraveller476
Reviewed 12 April 2012

cheap for a guesthouse. better than staying in expensive hotels if the only purpose is to rest and sleep

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We stayed at GIG after looking for a place to stay in The Lonely Planet guide, it seemed the cheapest. The rooms were very small & during the night somebody was ringing the bell for the main door constantly until 4am!
The one positive is that it's in a good location to get to the HK side & the rooms are cheap in comparison of other places. Due to this we decided to try & stay here a few days later. I rang before we came & they said they had a room, when we arrived however we found out from Jessie the owner that they didn't & she called a friend who did & we stayed there for that night, with the intention of returning to GIG the next night, before we left to go to this other room, Jessie confirmed with us that she would reserve us a room for the next night, we clarified with her that this was 100% positive otherwise we would have to spend that night looking for somewhere for the next night, she said yes & that we should stay at hers as she would reserve us a nicer room than the one we were off to, so off we went to her friends hostel.
The next day however we arrived at GIG and they didn't have a room booked, when i queried to speak to Jessie they passed me the phone and she didn't even apologise for not having a room, when she had promised they would. This then left us in a massive problem with all our heavy bags. I found her attitude to be rude and they no way deserve to have a recommendation in the Lonely Planet Guide.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends